Europa Universalis IV

Nation Designer!?

This is so dumb, but so cool!

I'll buy it just for that. My ancestors owned a castle in south germany. I'm gonna pretendnation that ftw.

My ancestors probably included Edward III, but I'm still inclined to buy the DLC. :)

And my ancestors were probably the Sino-Vietnamese equivalent of snobby upper-class WASPs, but euiv still doesn't have an Asian-focused expansion. :/

Anyways, since it seems that you can pretty much make up fantasyland alt history, including stuff from the converter,, I am very tempted to make a world of Xwedodah Zoroastrianism.

Why did you post a link about the Winter King, AA? I must be missing the reference.

Yeah I'm related to the guy who decided that his wife's plan of turning the steep, unscalable slope vital to your castle's defense into a gentle one you could picnic on was an excellent idea.

And my ancestors were probably the Sino-Vietnamese equivalent of snobby upper-class WASPs, but euiv still doesn't have an Asian-focused expansion. :/

Anyways, since it seems that you can pretty much make up fantasyland alt history, including stuff from the converter,, I am very tempted to make a world of Xwedodah Zoroastrianism.

Unfortunately Zoroastrianism won't be in the Nation Designer at release, only Judaism and Norse. PDox have said they want to add more of the CK2 religions later, so there's hope, but no wincest yet :(

So I finally got a laptop on which I can actually play EUIV.

Which country do you recommend for a beginner?

So I finally got a laptop on which I can actually play EUIV.

Which country do you recommend for a beginner?

Elanopnerfplsstan France is a decent choice.
Else Ottomans.
I'll be honest my first full game was as a native. if you have CoP you should do that as well :)

I do. Native American you mean? Which one? WHICH ONE?

I do. Native American you mean? Which one? WHICH ONE?
Pima, Apache, Shoshone, really anything that can easily get to california.
That way you get a good income, open space, and no europeans on your doorstep yet.

My first game was Pommerania and yeah that was fun.

I played Byzantium and Austria, but the tutorial recommends Spain, as I recall. Spain and France are pretty huge, so you shouldn't be wailed upon too much.

New dev diary for El Dorado. Link: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?834139

The flavor for the MesoAmerican civs look interesting. Makes me wish CKII had this sort of flavor. But anyways, in the long run, I'm hoping they give the Asians some nice stuff too.

Dev diary proper for those too lazy to click on the link:

Spoiler :

Welcome to the third development diary for Europa Universalis 4: El Dorado. Today, we’ll be talking about America and Liberty… and no, it’s not about the USA. Specifically, we’ll be talking about the Mesoamerican and South American Inti and Maya religions added in the expansion, and the new Liberty Desire system included in the free patch.

Maya
The Maya were divided into a large number of city-states vying for supremacy. In the past, these states were united in a large confederation called the League of Mayapan until infighting shattered the league. In El Dorado, we’ve attempted to simulate this expansion and contraction through Religious Reforms similar to the ones available to the Nahuatl (for details, see El Dorado Dev Diary 1). For a Mayan nation to pass a reform, they will need to own at least 20 provinces, have positive stability, no revolts, and no overextension. This is a little daunting.

Upon passing a reform, a Maya state will lose about half its territory, shrinking to a size of 10 core provinces determined by culture, religion and distance to capital. Other provinces will break away, joining existing nations or forming new nations and requiring you to reconquer them again. For each reform you have passed, you will be able to keep hold of more territory, retaining an extra province in addition to the original 10. As with the Nahuatl, when the last reform is passed and you border a Western nation, you will be able to reform your religion, getting a tech boost and gaining the permanent benefit of the religious reforms.

The Maya religion starts with +1 Tolerance of the True Faith and +1 Possible Advisors and their reforms give -10% Land Maintenance, -2 Global Unrest, +10% Infantry Power, +1 Colonist and -20% Core-Creation cost.

Inti
Where the Maya and Nahuatl religions are about expansion and contraction, the Inti faith is about maintaining the authority of the Sapa Inca by having the people worship him as a God. Inti nations have an Authority value that goes up from owning vast stretches of territory, and goes down when the ruler grants autonomy to a province (either from granting autonomy via by the grant autonomy action, being forced to by rebels, or choosing to do so in an event). Authority is also affected by a number of unique events added for the Inti religion. Authority reduces unrest and makes it cheaper to increase stability.

An Inti state that has 100 Authority and owns at least 10 provinces can pass a Religious Reform, but doing so will remove all their Authority and spark a civil war as a pretender exploits the loss of authority to attempt to seize the throne for themselves. After all, every reformer is challenged if they go too far.

If you lose this civil war, two Religious Reforms are lost, greatly setting back your progress towards reforming your religion.

As with the Nahuatl and Maya, when the last reform is passed and you border a Western nation, you will be able to reform your religion, getting a tech boost and gaining the permanent benefit of the religious reforms. Because the Inti religion does not have the same cycle of expansion and contraction as other two, Inti religious reforms are generally weaker than those of the Maya and the Nahuatl, but easier to accomplish.

The Inti religion starts with +1 Tolerance of the True Faith and -0.05 Monthly Autonomy in all provinces and their reforms give +10% Manpower Recovery Speed, +1 Colonist, +0.5 Yearly Legitimacy, +0.05 Land Morale and -10% Core-Creation Cost.

As the Nahuatl reforms were not finalized in DD1, I will also take the time to share them: -0.05 War Exhaustion, +1 Diplomatic Relations, +5% Discipline, +1 Colonist and -20% Stability Cost Modifier.

Liberty Desire
In Conquest of Paradise, we introduced the concept of Liberty Desire for Colonial Nations, measuring their desire to break away from their parent country, but the system has always been a bit too simplified revolving almost entirely around tariffs and very rarely resulting in said Colonial Nations winning their independence.

In the 1.10 patch, we will be introducing a major rework of Liberty Desire that turns it into a much deeper and more interesting system, but also expands it to all other subjects such as Vassals and Personal Union juniors. In 1.10, each subject has a Liberty Desire towards their Overlord, calculated based on a large number of factors such as opinion, diplomatic reputation, relative power, and relative diplomatic technology levels. Certain subject types like Marches and Client States are more loyal and thus have inherently lower Liberty Desire, while the Daimyos of Japan are an unruly bunch and have a large bonus to their LD. Vassals will also be aware of the power of all vassals relative to their liege, and their Liberty Desire will go up if they think that they could, together, bring you down. (This might even tame early game France - a little.)

While Liberty Desire is lower than 50, the subject will be considered ‘Loyal’ (as seen in their attitude). They will dutifully pay taxes, send their armies to help you in war, and refuse any offers of Support for Independence.

If Liberty Desire is above 50, but below 100, the Vassal is considered ‘Disloyal’. They will refuse to pay taxes and tariffs, won’t send their armies to help you in war (only defending their own territory) and will both look for foreign powers to support their independence and seek to ally with other rebellious subjects of their liege. If they find allies and supporters, their Liberty Desire goes up by an amount depending on the power of said supporters and allies.

At 100, the subject will be ‘Rebellious’. They will not only refuse to pay taxes and send help, but will declare war for independence the moment they think they have a shot at winning. When a subject declares war for independence, they will automatically call in all other subjects of their liege that they are allied to, and all independence supporters of both themselves AND their allies, meaning that their liege can be faced with quite the independence war indeed.

All in all, this system is meant to make vassals feel more lifelike - they are no longer mere slaves to their liege’s whims, but independent entities with their own goals who may turn on their ‘overlord’ if he does not take care to maintain their loyalty.

Check out all the videos for #EuropaUniversalis IV: El Dorado expansion here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqRhPbyFDQWjGgEWYgQwby-H4Lm7xrNGD

I second the Ottoman recommendation. A strong starting position will let you get used to the game, but you're still likely to have at least one strong challenger from Austria, Poland, and Muscovy later on, while the Timurids and Mamluks provide genuine rivals - but not ones that are likely to defeat you one-on-one - early on.

Joan you played EU3 right? If you were decent at that, you'll be decent at EU4.

I did very brief runs with Spain and Shoshone to get a feel for all the mechanics in general, and now I am in my firstserious game as the Apache. I will do another post with pics and stuff.

Top Bottom