Questions about Civ V

daveb1787

Chieftain
Hey all,

I am thinking about buying Civ V for PC... I have Civ Revolutions for Xbox but I know it sucks compared to the PC versions, so I want to get the real deal.

First, how many civilizations can play in one game? In Revolutions you can only play with like 4 AI, so I hope it's more than that.

Second, is the Game of the Year edition worth the extra 20 bucks? What features are added in that?

And finally, is downloading it from Steam a good way to go?

Thanks

You can have 22 civs at once, but this tends to screw performance. Be careful before buying, as civ v is extremely demanding (I have a fairly good gaming computer and only run it at a mix of medium/high settings).
Game of the year gives you most of the dlc, although I'm not sure which I think it is worth it.
Dl'ing from steam is pretty good, but you have to run the game thru steam regardless.
The disk only means trip to the store or shipping costs, slightly faster install, and the ability to install without web connection. That's it.

You can, I believe, have up to 22 civs in a game, and without touching advanced settings, 4 is pretty small. That doesn't include city states which aren't trying to win but are there, take up land, and have diplo options, even if the diplo with them isn't so deep.

I didn't know the GotY edition was so much more...You get some DLC for "free" with it, I think all the civs but Korea. For me, I'd rather get the basic Civ5 and G&K, if I were on a budget.

For your last question, I'm not a big fan of Steam. Civ5 is the only game I have on it and will be the last. I bought the boxed version at a local brick and morter. I would encourage that if it's an option, simply to support your local businesses, if nothing else. There's plenty else, but I don't want to turn your thread into a debate about Steam, so I'll just say I have my Civ5 box and disc and am happy I do.

I am thinking about buying Civ V for PC... I have Civ Revolutions for Xbox but I know it sucks compared to the PC versions, so I want to get the real deal.
I don't know a lot abour CivRev, but yes the PC games are the real deal! And don't forget about the mods!

First, how many civilizations can play in one game? In Revolutions you can only play with like 4 AI, so I hope it's more than that.
Base game limit is 22 civs at the same time! And with the latest patch, that limit will be modded up to the full list (34 civs at the moment)! And there are a lot of city-states, too!

Second, is the Game of the Year edition worth the extra 20 bucks? What features are added in that?
Yes and no. If you want to try Civ V, you can start with the regular game, and then wait for the Xmas sale on steam to get all the DLC (good support from Firaxis) and Gods and Kings expansion. But if you want to get GOTY edition, you will get 5 additional civs to play with (one of which is included in the expansion), additional scenarios and maps. I would tell you to start with the regular edition, and then if you like the game wait for the specials to get the DLC/expansion (which includes more stuff and new features like espionage and religion).

And finally, is downloading it from Steam a good way to go?
Yes, unless you prefer to buy a boxed version. Once more, it is always better to buy it on a Steam sale for a discounted price. Steam is good at that.

Civ V is simpler than previous versions, but at the same time pretty complex. Warning: If you try it, you will become addicted! Good luck! ;)

(1st post but a long time lurker!)

Thanks everyone! I am going to get it and I am really excited. I actually haven't played PC games in at least 4 years, but this laptop I (finally switched back from Mac) has 8GB RAM and a discrete 2GB Nvidia GeForce so I need to test it out!

Thanks everyone! I am going to get it and I am really excited. I actually haven't played PC games in at least 4 years, but this laptop I (finally switched back from Mac) has 8GB RAM and a discrete 2GB Nvidia GeForce so I need to test it out!
Then welcome! But this game is more CPU-oriented, graphics and RAM help, but a good CPU is important (I can play at max settings with a HD6670). Good thing of this game is that is has regular updates, lot of customization to suit your way of playing and a great and dedicated community! Have fun! :)

4 - haha!

Welcome to the PC.

Just watch out for crappy Steam. At least a console game is yours once you get it, no internet required.

Civ5 is quite demanding game. I think With your laptop You can easily run a standard size map which includes 8 civs and 16 city states.

remember to get the gods and kings it is really good but I can relate to you I started with civ rev and went to civ 5 Vanilla (base game) is really fun at first endless hours but once you get the expansion Gods and Kings you are addicted for life. I can recommend all the dlc they are all execllent. If you want I can name the all civilizations. Examples that aren't in civrev are Sweden, Austria, Babylon, Songhai, and many more. Zulu are not in but don't let that stop you. There is religion new from civ rev. There is City-states which you probably heard of and again much more stuff but when you get civ 5 never forget civrev is your roots into the civilization world and into this community just like myself.

Top Bottom