Civ VI: Victory Conditions

plastiqe

Grinch
Domination: Control X% Population and X% Territory to Win

In the Civ series, military victories are usually achieved by conquering a lot of territory and playing like Hitler. You should be able to get a military victory by playing like Roosevelt too. For Domination Victory you are now able to Liberate captured cities, and that counts for the total % of territory needed to win the game. Liberating cities would be when Civ A attacks Civ B and captures some of their cities (but hasn't entirely killed them off yet) and you go to war and rescue Civ B's cities for them. Liberated cities have to stay liberated X number of turns so you can't just Liberate, let them get captured again right away, Liberate... repeat. And Civ B has to like you (they usually would if you help them) in order to prevent player abuse.

You could also still have Conquest as another warmonger victory condition where you just have to eliminate all rivals.

Diplomatic: Elected World Leader

The win condition that's usually the easiest to exploit in the Civ series; I'm looking at you Apolistic Palace. The new rule for Diplomatic Victory besides having to win the election in the Modern age is you can never declare a war. Peacemonger all game long. You are allowed to fight defensive wars and even conquer someones territory (and eliminate them) but only if they start the war. If you start a war at any time in the game yourself you're ineligible. Winning the vote could be more complicated than just having people like you. Eg. A.I. must have your government (Democracy or Communism) or be your ally through a permanent treaty alliance (hard to get) before they'll vote for you.

Culture: Best Culture Through the Ages

Winning a Culture victory is no longer about accumulating enough culture to reach a certain level by the end of the game. You have to be the best in culture through every age of the game: Classical, Medieval, Renaissance, Industrial & Modern. The beginning of a new age is determined by average technological level or a static date in time. You can still have many ways to generate culture, like Wonder races early, Religions in the middle and Tourism late but you must be the best all game long, not just by the end. This could mean your Classical wonders don't guarantee you'll win the Medieval age and you have to take out a rival who spread his Religion widely to ensure you win that stage. Or just spread a bigger Religion yourself. If you miss an age, well, that's too bad. I guess you'll have to devote your commerce to...

Space: The Moon, Mars and Alpha Centari

Space victory is divided up into three stages: Moon mission, Mars mission and Alpha Centari mission. You need to have launched all three succesfully before you can win the game. Each mission you complete gets you to the next one but the earlier you complete each mission the better.

First you must build the Space Program Wonder, available with the 1950's techs Satellites and Rocketry. It unlocks the building of a Lunar Lander, Lunar Command Vehicle and Lunar Rocket which can be built anywhere. The Moon mission is launched from the city with the Space Program Wonder but even with all three parts built, is not 100% success. With only the prerequisite technology of Satellites and Rocketry you have about 66% success. Each modern tech after Satellites and Rocketry increases Moon Mission success by 5%. If you don't make it the first time you can build the three parts and try again. You can only have 1 of any part built at a time. Any space mission that fails gives you experience which increases your % success a bit for the next mission.

Once you have completed a Moon Mission, techs from the 2020's unlock the Mars Mission which also needs 3 pieces. Mars Mission starts with a 50% chance of success but increases 1% for each year since you first landed on the moon. Alpha Centari mission is from building Spaceship parts unlocked with the last tech of the tech tree at 2050. The bare bones basic Alpha Centari Spaceship has a 75% success rate but it increases 1% for each year since your Mars mission and you can build extra parts to increase to 100% success.

Nuclear Winter

If X # of Nukes are used in war, Nuclear Winter begins and the game is lost. The threshold for amount of Nukes scales with map size but for a normal map it's 10.

Global Warming

Pollution is an Industrial/Modern era problem caused by things like building Factories and deforestation. If Global Warming reaches a critical level the game is lost. You can enact cleaner policies yourself, and enforce cleaner resolutions with the U.N. or in extreme cases go to war with heavily polluting AI nations and use force to stop them ending the game.

A.I. That Tries to Win

Because otherwise the A.I. is just playing a different game than you are. I'm no programming genius, but I think once victory was in sight the A.I. should go into 'Win Mode AI' and ruthlessly pursue it. It could vary depending on difficulty level, or some Civs flavour for preferring one type of victory or another. A.I. Ghandi should prefer going peacemonger for Diplomatic but if he finds himself in a situation where he's close to Domination he should be able to declare war and attempt it. At competitive levels every team should have a chance at every victory condition. Conversely you could have some teams that nobody likes end up as 'Rogue Nations AI' who don't care about everyone losing so they're willing to cause Nuclear Winter or Global Warming. Again based on difficulty level or Civ flavour.

The End. Thanks for reading. : )

Domination: Control X% Population and X% Territory to Win

In the Civ series, military victories are usually achieved by conquering a lot of territory and playing like Hitler. You should be able to get a military victory by playing like Roosevelt too. For Domination Victory you are now able to Liberate captured cities, and that counts for the total % of territory needed to win the game. Liberating cities would be when Civ A attacks Civ B and captures some of their cities (but hasn't entirely killed them off yet) and you go to war and rescue Civ B's cities for them. Liberated cities have to stay liberated X number of turns so you can't just Liberate, let them get captured again right away, Liberate... repeat. And Civ B has to like you (they usually would if you help them) in order to prevent player abuse.

I like this, but only counting liberated cities that you keep.

You could also still have Conquest as another warmonger victory condition where you just have to eliminate all rivals.

Diplomatic: Elected World Leader

The win condition that's usually the easiest to exploit in the Civ series; I'm looking at you Apolistic Palace. The new rule for Diplomatic Victory besides having to win the election in the Modern age is you can never declare a war. Peacemonger all game long. You are allowed to fight defensive wars and even conquer someones territory (and eliminate them) but only if they start the war. If you start a war at any time in the game yourself you're ineligible. Winning the vote could be more complicated than just having people like you. Eg. A.I. must have your government (Democracy or Communism) or be your ally through a permanent treaty alliance (hard to get) before they'll vote for you.

Culture: Best Culture Through the Ages

Winning a Culture victory is no longer about accumulating enough culture to reach a certain level by the end of the game. You have to be the best in culture through every age of the game: Classical, Medieval, Renaissance, Industrial & Modern. The beginning of a new age is determined by average technological level or a static date in time. You can still have many ways to generate culture, like Wonder races early, Religions in the middle and Tourism late but you must be the best all game long, not just by the end. This could mean your Classical wonders don't guarantee you'll win the Medieval age and you have to take out a rival who spread his Religion widely to ensure you win that stage. Or just spread a bigger Religion yourself. If you miss an age, well, that's too bad. I guess you'll have to devote your commerce to...

Space: The Moon, Mars and Alpha Centari

Space victory is divided up into three stages: Moon mission, Mars mission and Alpha Centari mission. You need to have launched all three succesfully before you can win the game. Each mission you complete gets you to the next one but the earlier you complete each mission the better.

First you must build the Space Program Wonder, available with the 1950's techs Satellites and Rocketry. It unlocks the building of a Lunar Lander, Lunar Command Vehicle and Lunar Rocket which can be built anywhere. The Moon mission is launched from the city with the Space Program Wonder but even with all three parts built, is not 100% success. With only the prerequisite technology of Satellites and Rocketry you have about 66% success. Each modern tech after Satellites and Rocketry increases Moon Mission success by 5%. If you don't make it the first time you can build the three parts and try again. You can only have 1 of any part built at a time. Any space mission that fails gives you experience which increases your % success a bit for the next mission.

Once you have completed a Moon Mission, techs from the 2020's unlock the Mars Mission which also needs 3 pieces. Mars Mission starts with a 50% chance of success but increases 1% for each year since you first landed on the moon. Alpha Centari mission is from building Spaceship parts unlocked with the last tech of the tech tree at 2050. The bare bones basic Alpha Centari Spaceship has a 75% success rate but it increases 1% for each year since your Mars mission and you can build extra parts to increase to 100% success.

This would probably take too long.

Nuclear Winter

If X # of Nukes are used in war, Nuclear Winter begins and the game is lost. The threshold for amount of Nukes scales with map size but for a normal map it's 10.

That's not fun. And totally unrealistic. There have been many more nukes than that detonated on the earth and we're still here. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Global Warming

Pollution is an Industrial/Modern era problem caused by things like building Factories and deforestation. If Global Warming reaches a critical level the game is lost. You can enact cleaner policies yourself, and enforce cleaner resolutions with the U.N. or in extreme cases go to war with heavily polluting AI nations and use force to stop them ending the game.

Pollution is ok, if abstracted, but cleaning tiles is tedious and not fun. And calling it global warming is too political.

A.I. That Tries to Win

Because otherwise the A.I. is just playing a different game than you are. I'm no programming genius, but I think once victory was in sight the A.I. should go into 'Win Mode AI' and ruthlessly pursue it. It could vary depending on difficulty level, or some Civs flavour for preferring one type of victory or another. A.I. Ghandi should prefer going peacemonger for Diplomatic but if he finds himself in a situation where he's close to Domination he should be able to declare war and attempt it. At competitive levels every team should have a chance at every victory condition. Conversely you could have some teams that nobody likes end up as 'Rogue Nations AI' who don't care about everyone losing so they're willing to cause Nuclear Winter or Global Warming. Again based on difficulty level or Civ flavour.

Good luck with this one.

The End. Thanks for reading. : )

There should be an economic win condition. Controlling a large percentage of the world's gold, or something.

and religious: Be the only religion left (no followers of other religions?).

This would probably take too long.
Space in my version is more complicated as you now need a wonder plus three missions vs a wonder and one mission. The amount of techs/parts built would remain similar to other Civ endgames.

That's not fun. And totally unrealistic. There have been many more nukes than that detonated on the earth and we're still here. Some men just want to watch the world burn.
Nuclear Tests yes, Nukes dropped on cities: 2. Anyways it's just a game option for a much more complicated issue that I don't wanna get into. I don't think you should get conquest or domination if you have to nuke the A.I.'s entire territory to win.

Pollution is ok, if abstracted, but cleaning tiles is tedious and not fun. And calling it global warming is too political.
Global Warming has been in Civ before so it's not a new thing. I'm saying you'd only lose the game when it got really, really bad. And you wouldn't be micromanaging workers to 'clean tiles' you'd be enacting cleaner government policies, researching cleaner technologies and building cleaner power plants. Big picture stuff. You can't clean an iceberg tile with a worker when it melts.

Good luck with this one.
Thanks. : )

There should be an economic win condition. Controlling a large percentage of the world's gold, or something.

and religious: Be the only religion left (no followers of other religions?).

A strong economy is useful for any victory because you need to be able to pay for things like armies, cities, research, etc. I dunno that it should be a way to win in itself. How do you think Economic or Religious should work?

Also for any of my ideas, I'd envision them as game options that you can turn on or off when you start your game.

As far as economic win condition goes: I was thinking GDP is 50%-70% of world economy (off the top of my head, no idea if the number is good or not) or something similar.

For religious victory, simply convert all the people ( or a large percentage for balance).

In regard to the supply line idea, I prefer tying it to a city/building because it would force warmongers to annex more cities just to rush-buy the building.

Economic or Religious would be ok like that as long as you couldn't easily get the win too early in the game. I like stretching victory conditions to modern times because then the whole game counts, not just getting off to a really good start or playing really well in one era.

I was just thinking in relation to the Nuclear Winter Loss; what about coding it so that radioactive tiles don't count for a Domination Victory? So while there would be no such thing as cleaning pollution tiles from Global Warming, you would have to scrub the fallout tiles from Nukes before that territory counts for a Dom win.

my idea on religious vc. First we need a religious social tree, as piety now. The finisher is a declaration of a god king, which enables religious vc, and makes your follower harder to converts to other religion.
Second, you'll need to covert every cities to your religion.

Top Bottom