World at War Scenario Development Thread

Gary Childress

Student for and of life
This will be another WW2 mod fashioned after my own tastes. So even if no one else plays it, at least I will. :lol: This mod is going to take forever, however, I've been making a little more progress recently since being laid off from work. :( Here is some of what I have so far.

1. Based upon eric A's HOF world map.

2. Probably over 250 units included in the mod to equip a total of 8 Civs.

3. No sea, nor air trade are possible. The only way to get access to needed resources is to be on the same continent and connect via road. This was done so that I could split up production among certain Civs. For instance: You can play as Axis, in which you will have command of Germany, Italy and Japan. However, Japan produces entirely unique units and cannot produce any German units. By placing a resource on the Japanese Islands called "Japanese" and a resource on German territory called "Germans" I am able to create unique units within a civ depending largely upon where the city is located. Also, this prevents certain small islands from producing anything of much value. For instance Yamato Class BBs can only be produced on the Japanese mainland because they require the resource "Japanese" which is only available there. I connected all the major Islands through Sakahlin to the Japanese main Islands in order to share resources.

If a city in the Philippines is captured by the Japanese or if the US wants to produce units in the Philippines, then those units will simply be a few types of generic and understrength units.

To prevent significant unit production in non-allied cities which are captured, a city will require a specific resource within it's radius. For instance, even if a captured city is on the same continent as the Germans, in order to produce a German War Factory, a city must have the resource "Germans" within its radius. Also all factories will be given 1 culture so that they are destroyed when occupied. Thus, if Germany captures Paris, it cannot build a factory there. Although Paris will have access to the "Germans" resource through road trade, it will not be able to generate many shields to produce many German units. Only when the French re-occupy Paris, will they be able to build the French War Factory and have significant production.

4. Large units such as corps also require city population to produce. For instance to build a regular Army Corps, the basic infantry unit, a city will lose 2 population for each Army Corps it produces. This limits the ability to simply crank out units one after the other.

5. A second limit on units which I am toying with is making units EXTREEEMLY expensive in upkeep, depending upon a civilizations unique government. For instance Germany will have, say, 100 gold upkeep per unit it produces over the "allowed" number which will be set in the editor Govermnents tab. I will set the number of "allowed" units either as total "free units" for the civilization or else as "free units per city". At this point I'm leaning toward the "free units per city" method.

6. Only transport aircraft will be able to airdrop units. No units will be flagged as airliftable nor as being able to paradrop on their own. Therefore Paratroop units will require no oil to produce, however, their transports will. This makes two methods of getting paratroops to a destination. Either fill a transport and "rebase" at a new location wihtin its "rebase" range (in which loaded units will follow the transport I believe) or else use a transport to paradrop the unit somewhere within the transports opperational range. Transport aircraft will therefore need to be produced if one is to make paradrops.

7. Barracks have been eliminated and the differences between unit experience has been increased. Therefore units can only gain veteran status by winning in battle. The only exception is cities with the palace in it. A Civ's capital city can produce veteran units and also be used to upgrade old units as the palace now has the "produce veteran units flag." Also conscripts by default still have 2 hit points however, each higher level of experience increases the hit points by two. Thus:

Conscript = 2 hit points
Regular = 4 hit points
Veteran = 6 hit points
Elite = 8 hit points

Elite units will be worth a LOT more in this game. As you build up Elite units you will want to protect them as much as possible because they will dominate the battlefield more.

8. Governments will be permanently set in the game through hidden techs. No Civ will be able to change its government. To produce a German War Factory, a civ must have both the resource "Germans" and the Fascist form of government exclusive only to Germany and the Axis. To create a Japanese War Factory, a civ must have "Japanese" within its radius. No more capturing the Canary Islands and then cranking out battleships and infantry corps. You will however be able to produce local militia type units there but they won't be worth a great deal in battle. This simulates the fact that conquered territories don't usually yield great soldiers for the conquerer and are going to have security problems that will hamper full production.

9. Each civ will have some exclusive improvements it can build, the overall number of types of improvements have been reduced since there are no more barracks, airport, harbor or granaries in the game. Therefore the 256 limit to Civ improvements shouldn't be too much of a problem.

10. Granaries have been eliminated in order to make it more difficult for a city to build up population. Therefore if Berlin produces an Armeekorps (the basic European Axis infantry unit) it will lose 2 citizens and will not be able to recover them quickly. The more Armeekorps Berlin produces the smaller the city becomes. Some units, mostly brigade sized units, do not consume citizens, however, they are significanly weaker than Corps size units.

11. Two things borrowed from SOE:

A: Sea lanes. Transports will sink in ocean and can only
traverse the map through sea lanes constructed for
them. Landing craft sink in both ocean and sea so they
can only be used near coasts.

B. Strategic bombers are limited to precision bombing only.
this makes dive bombers and light bombers more valuable
for use in tactical bombing.

12. Polar ice cap. Almost the entire north pole area is covered by LM sea which is given a default movement value of 20. This represents the fact that ships will only be able to navigate the top of the map if they are icebreakers or else this represents the fact that ships will have to reduce speed when running through ice berg filled waters.

13. Surface naval combat will be almost exclusively bombardment only. Submarines and pre-sonar destroyers will be the only units with significant attack values. Therefore if a ship stumbles upon a sub, it will most likely lose such a surprise confrontation unless it is a destroyer. Subs will also have the stealth attack command, however they will not be able to single out destroyers. Subs will, however, have a movement speed of only 4. This way a sonar destroyer screen can be used to detect subs before they get in range of attacking a convoy. Subs will be very effective weapons in this mod.

14. The tech tree for the mod will consist of a full 4 epochs ranging from "Early War" to "Late War". The tree will be divided into two types of technology, "combat" technologies and "wonder" technologies. Most all regular improvements will be available at the beginning of the game. The wonder technologies will be non-essential to era advancement and will be open to research at any time. They won't have pre-requisites. However, by researching to produce a wonder you will sacrifice researching combat technologies, all of which are necessary for era advancement.

15. Only naval fighters, dive bombers and torpedo bombers are carrier capable. All other aircraft will be restricted from using carriers. Only dive bombers, torpedo bombers and some tactical bombers will have "Lethal sea bombardment".

That's what I have so far. Of course it is still a mod in progress. :)

Very nice and well thought out! :)

And obligatory subscription post.

15. Only naval fighters, dive bombers and torpedo bombers are carrier capable. All other aircraft will be restricted from using carriers. Only dive bombers, torpedo bombers and some tactical bombers will have "Lethal sea bombardment".
While this makes sense depending upon the map you use the other fighters may not have the range to rebase overseas limiting their usefullness. I wish there was a way to transport aircraft by ship without having the ability to use the ship as a portable airfield unfortunately there is no way to do so. This is one of the problems I have been trying to overcome because I want to limit the range of fighters. Anyway I look forward to seeing the developments.

While this makes sense depending upon the map you use the other fighters may not have the range to rebase overseas limiting their usefullness. I wish there was a way to transport aircraft by ship without having the ability to use the ship as a portable airfield unfortunately there is no way to do so. This is one of the problems I have been trying to overcome because I want to limit the range of fighters. Anyway I look forward to seeing the developments.

Hi BadKharma, you have a good point. I'll have to figure a way to work around this somehow. Perhaps I could place a few extra Islands around the map.

That's the main reason I started this thread to see if others can spot things I've overlooked. :)

I'm thinking of two potential routes for certain upgrades in this scenario.

1. Normal Route: Mid War Panzer Corps upgrades to Late War Panzer Corps.

OR

2. Alternative Route: Mid War Panzer Corps upgrades to Late War Self Propelled Artillery Brigade.

Since many obsolete vehicles of WW2 found their way into being converted to assault guns, tank destroyers or self propelled artillery platforms it might make things interesting if the only way one could create self propelled artillery in the game is to convert ones hard earned tank units into them.

Also I wonder how the AI would take this? Would it upgrade every upgradeable unit as a matter of course of would it be more selective about how many units it upgrades if the combat values are completely different?

EDIT: Also I am wondering if this will work....

Switch Barricades and Fortresses so that barricades are built first and fortresses as an improvement on barricades. Give barricades a minimal defense bonus but leave it to where they will slow multi-move units down. Only by building a fortress will a player significantly increase his defense. Fortresses will take a while to produce but barricades could be errected within a turn or two.

Hi! this sounds like a good idea, especially for trying new concepts. if there is any way i can help, i would be delighted. I'm not an artist, but I've done i fair bit of scenario work.

One comment. You are going to wan't to make it so you can upgrade units in british colonies.

In my mod, population is required to build most units, and I have also used a high upkeep.

From the alpha test, it seems the AI is depleting its cities to build units, that will be disbanded soon after before it can pay the upkeep :(

In my mod, population is required to build most units, and I have also used a high upkeep.

From the alpha test, it seems the AI is depleting its cities to build units, that will be disbanded soon after before it can pay the upkeep :(

That does present a problem. I'll have to do some serious testing. :( I sort of don't want to abandon the population cost for units though. I sort of thought that was a neat idea.

Have you tried simply making units cost population and reducing the upkeep to see if the AI will operate better under those circumstances?

EDIT:

@Cubsfan: For British colonies and things like that I may designate a special building in one city per colony in which upgrading can be done. For instance Sydney in Australia and Delhi in India. Unfortunately upgrading seems to be hardcoded to coincide with veteran unit production. One thing I want most in the scenario is to make it as much the case as possible that units earn experience ONLY through successful combat. That was one of the major features I originally wanted in the scenario. So I had to work around things like upgrading units. As it stands only national capitals are capable of creating veteran units and therefore only when in national capitals is a unit able to be upgraded.

@Kiwidude: I'll take any help I can get. I can send you the BIQ file for the scenario if you want to take a look at what I have so far. Maybe you can spot some additional problems or you may have some better ideas about how to do things. Or it might be fun to look at and see how things are progressing. If you're interested let me know and I'll send it to you. :)

I think the idea works best for multiplayer games.

But my upkeep cost is not that high (5 gold / unit IIRC), perhaps using a very large cost will be better, and the AI will not build it, when it takes some "risk" with a lower cost?

It's worth testing.

When he betatested my mod, Phelgmak was initally not happy with the population coast, so I removed it. But after some game, he realized it's a good idea, that makes the game more "unique".

And you can play with it. Like make support units (Machine gun for instance) smaller, with less HP, but not population cost.
Or have the largest battleship requires population, but not the smaller cruisers.

I think the idea works best for multiplayer games.

But my upkeep cost is not that high (5 gold / unit IIRC), perhaps using a very large cost will be better, and the AI will not build it, when it takes some "risk" with a lower cost?

It's worth testing.

When he betatested my mod, Phelgmak was initally not happy with the population coast, so I removed it. But after some game, he realized it's a good idea, that makes the game more "unique".

And you can play with it. Like make support units (Machine gun for instance) smaller, with less HP, but not population cost.
Or have the largest battleship requires population, but not the smaller cruisers.

The way it stands right now I have Corps costing 2 population and most divisions costing 1. Armored Corps only cost 1 population also. Brigades, ships and air units cost no poplulation. So there is a trade off. Small units are less combat effective than large ones, however, you can build as many as you like without depleting your cities.

The way it stands right now I have Corps costing 2 population and most divisions costing 1. Armored Corps only cost 1 population also. Brigades, ships and air units cost no poplulation. So there is a trade off. Small units are less combat effective than large ones, however, you can build as many as you like without depleting your cities.
That's roughly what I do.
I tried once to have army cost 0 to 3 pop, depending on their size, but that was to much.

Also, for me, the base HP depends on the size of the army.

So a standard infantry division may have 4 HP, an A/D of 10/10, and requires two population.

A special force regiment may have 2 HP, A/D of 20/20, and require only 1 population.

Just got the biq, thanks. your work looks very, very good!

I had an idea about air combat, which I have used in my 1980's scn. set interception to about 80%. I believe that it is most likely that units on CAP will intercept daylight raids. then make certain "nightfighter" units with the "stealth" flag. set the Stealth chance to about 15-20%.

Also, set fighters with no bombs, like spitfires to have a bombardment value of 1. Then the player will send them over first to clear the CAP and send heavy bombers later.

I just set the interception rate up to 80.

As far as clearing out enemy interceptors before a raid I have fighter bombers sort of set for that mission. They have reasonably high defense values and can attack enemy targets. If I set fighters to do it then that would sort of make fighter bombers a waste of resources to build. This way fighter bombers become valuable in their own right and it makes a kind of rock/paper/scissors effect. Intercept with fighters/clear the skies with fighter bombers/bomb with bombers. :)

I think I'm going to do away with roads in this mod and simply use railroads as the way of connecting trade. Any map should have road networks filling up every square, so it should be assumed that there will be roads everywhere. Then I will be able to limit railroad movement.

So you are going to basically change the graphic from road to railroad? What will be the new "railroad"? (or is there not going to be one?)

So you are going to basically change the graphic from road to railroad? What will be the new "railroad"? (or is there not going to be one?)

Exactly! I'll replace the road graphics with railroad. I don't think roads will be needed. I'll simply dispense with roads (former railroads) by attributing them to a hidden technology or something.

EDIT: Woops, let me phrase that better. I'm going to replace road graphics with railroad graphics and get rid of the old railroads by attributing them to a hidden technology. Roads will become railroads and railroads will no longer exist.

Top Bottom