General Questions

Yes, there a several files you need to add to the mod folder that are not included in the download. You will find the boost and python files at your local installation of Colonization in the CvGameCoreDLL folder as Boost-1.32.0 and Python24 folders. Night must have setup an option that finds these folders on your computer in the generic installation, but you may have a different spot. You need to copy these two folders and add them to the Medieval_Conquest/sourceDLL/DLL_Sources folder I do believe.

Hmm, but then again if Night has a set location for where these files are then you may need to place them there...

Maybe we should just forget about trying to locate those files and add them to git. I didn't include them to keep the size down, but now that we don't have a size limit anymore, the extra bandwidth/server space used is not really important anymore.

The problem is that your compiler can't find Boost-1.32.0 and Python24. Those two folders are in CvGameCoreDLL folder in vanilla. Copy (not move!) those into the source code you just gained with git.

Thank you guys, :goodjob: It worked. I just added these two folders and then I compiled it ok.

When I cloned it cloned Fullerene Branch, and I switched for master, and that is the branch I pulled. But when testing, I couldn’t see the new victory conditions. Should I play test Master or switch for another branch?

When I cloned it cloned Fullerene Branch, and I switched for master, and that is the branch I pulled.
Odd. I have set it master as default branch on SF meaning you should start with master. Switching isn't difficult anyway.

But when testing, I couldn’t see the new victory conditions. Should I play test Master or switch for another branch?
Right now there are 3 choices to playtest.
  • master - same as 2.5.41
  • release-2.5 - same as 2.5.41
  • develop - all the new and virtually untested features
If we make a new 2.5.x release, it will be added to release-2.5 for playtesting before it is released.

Develop is by definition unstable as it is work in progress and it might break your savegame when you pull. However it might be quite rewarding to get tested as it has all the poorly tested additions.

Now that we can get the git version playtested by more people, the release approach will be as follows:
  1. Release branch created
  2. Release branch playtested
  3. Bugfixes (goto 2 after each one)
  4. Confirm that there is no known bugs after a while of playtesting
  5. Release stable version to the public
This approach would likely have found most or all the bugs in 2.5 and avoided all the patch updates to the public.

We don't have such a release branch right now, which contain unreleased code. We will let you know when there is one ;)
Feel free to try develop and please report any issues.

Right, switch to develop for the latest stuff. I believe it is playable, just not sure how balanced it is. I noticed once that a player failed to find a starting location but it was only once in 30 loads. Still, needs fixed.

@Nightinggale
The Release/Testing plan sounds great.

I think one think that is does is add the cross and the praying hands when you add a mission, when you add a trade post, the hands are on the right and the cross in on the left, and all the yield icons from the trade post go on the left and push out the cross, but you can still see the praying hands (like it is a monastery..)

Aslo you sly devil I see you changted the price of spices at the silk road to no longer be profitable, so now I have to make a trade triangle of spice to fair, wine to silk, silk to spice!

That will be interesting when the fair gets turned back to something that is not universally available everywhere!

Would it be too much to ask to write an feature list that explains all game play features of this mod. It could be like minitutorial or just list of differences to unmodded colonization. No need to write a book but short explanations. For example:
  • Luxury food is needed to create new nobles.*
  • Trading post is bla bla bla...

*Can't remember now and too lazy to check if it was like that.It's too long time since I last tried this mod. :(

I believe that would be helpful for new players (and for me :lol:)

Would it be too much to ask to write an feature list that explains all game play features of this mod. It could be like minitutorial or just list of differences to unmodded colonization. No need to write a book but short explanations. For example:
  • Luxury food is needed to create new nobles.*
  • Trading post is bla bla bla...

*Can't remember now and too lazy to check if it was like that.It's too long time since I last tried this mod. :(

I believe that would be helpful for new players (and for me :lol:)

That is totally in the plan, I am going to redo the tutorial, and there is already somewhat of a tutorial for the current official version. However, what Lib and I have mostly been discussing lately is the Development version which has tons of new features that we are just now testing out. Some will be changed, and new ones added so I don't want to spend time on the tutorial just yet when we are not sure how things are going to play out yet.

Anyway, I do need to make a list of the new things in the Development branch thread to keep track of for anyone else wanting to check it out.

If you like, I can sit down at some point and try to knock up a rough draft of it, save you for coding :p

I might not get everything, but I can probobaly get it like 95% done.

I actually thought about that, you already posted something for Night a while back, it wouldn't take much editing of that to catch people up. Then I can post that and start keeping up with changes better.

Yeah, I actually started looking over the description of the mod, and it is already mostly there.

Some of the points need updating a bit because they are bigger now, like lux. food produces more than pages now.

But there isn't much missing..

Civics
Prospecting
Pope On Map
Depleting Resources
A few new buildings (which will likely change soon again (Bank, Mint) plus the change to the butcher)
Domestic Market System (Which is the one I caught night up on) (Plus the bonus for connecting all 3 city types together)
The New Unit types (mostly intorduced through civics)
Professionals Build 'Homes'

Can you think of anyhting else?

With the Pope on the map, you can choose to Follow him and have to deal with his Requests or be labeled a Heretic and have to deal with Crusades being called against you by his constituents. All of these new things need to be tested in Game as well, so they are not "official features" yet. Like you recently tested the Limited Resources and gave feedback on that, but it was never really tested before and the numbers I put in where random at best. But your play testing and feed back will much improve the system so it is worth the 12 percent interest you was earning ;)

We do have a wiki on SF, which would be ideal for listing new features like this. I think all of us have write access to the wiki meaning unlike the forum, one can write and later another person edits/updates. We really should use the wiki way more than we do at the moment (isn't that like the 9th time I say that ;))

Feel free to add something and once we have something written, we can figure out if we want to modify layout and whatever. I think the important part is to just get started.

hello gents, knuckle is having the same problem I have had a few times when installing M:C where the game crashes at the civ selection screen.

The problem is that once again I cannot remember what the solution was to fix it.....

Can any of you remember what I had to do to fix the crash? I know the answer is here somewhere in the forum, because we have solved it at least twice before, just right now the thought of going digging for the answer is rather exhausting!

it seems to be an issue with my version, (I packaged it and sent it to knuckle).

We always manage to fix it, but then I can never remember the solution when it happens again, i can't even remember what thread we had the discussion in... and I can't think of what to search for that won't return a hunddred results across a bunch of threads.. I can't even remember what the error I got was... right now all I can remember is that it used to crash there for me, and that we fixed it. All the really improtant stuff I keep forgetting though!

This really is a bug report. Imagine if everybody posted in the correct threads. That mean if somebody crashes and somebody else posts a fix, then it would be in bug reports, not "somewhere on the forum".

At times like this, the best solution would be to compile a debug dll and start with the debugger attached (in window mode!). That should tell what the problem is. However I'm not so sure that the skillset is available for that approach. The only thing I can think of offhand is "no non-English characters in windows user name (like öé) if the mod is in my documents. 32 bit computers are prone to issues, which appears not to affect 64 bit computers, despite the fact that it's a 32 bit game.

Top Bottom