ohh.. So earth isn't a Torus

kamex

Emperor
Hehe. Just had a major confusing moment after playing with the Torus world wrap option.

It seems traveling off the top of the map sends you right to the bottom. Meaning that the world is actually a donut shape and not a sphere.

In reality, on earth, if you travel say north of the UK and cross the North Pole, you'd end up on the east coast of America!

Has anyone else got confused by this when playing civ! :mischief: :cry: :blush:

For reference:

Torus: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torus

Sphere: http://earthstar.de/image/Charts/North_Pole.gif

It's just topology.

try playing it on a pangea map....great confusing fun

Mapping the top x-coordinates to the bottom x-coordinates and similarly with the y coordinates ends up as a torus.

Take a sheet of paper, opposite edges together. You have a cylinder. Now squeeze the ends of the cylinder together, you get a donut/torus. Does your donut look like the earth?
If you live on a donut, if you keep going north you end up in a circle. If you keep going east, you end up on the same latitude.

It's not so hard to imagine once you know the right way to think about it.

That's why I never play with the torus world wrap option, it's just... weird :dubious:

For the record, the standard map is better described as a cylinder, than a sphere. A purist topologist :)p) might disagree - I'm not sure.

If you really want to see confusing discussions of geometry/topology, you should have seen the discussions in the civ5 forum about tiling a spherical map with hexes. Turns out it's mathematically impossible so there are some bizarre and fascinating ways of doing it "approximately".

Spheres are topologically the same as cubes and other 3 dimensional objects without holes. But then again algebraic (and non-differential) topology is unconcerned with things like distance, so contracting the entire top surface and edges into one point is perfectly normal.

Actually, since you can't keep going north on a standard map, it doesn't really have an analogue, whereas on most objects you'd continue on to some other edge/plane/surface. The north pole and south pole are kind of like infinity, except you can reach it.

It's a cylinder (with no caps) and no edge crossing allowed (so a one-sided cylinder). It's actually more like a band then ;)

It's topologically different to a sphere and a torus.

No that band clearly isn't connected and I am unsure of it's genus.

More like a rubber band. An hoop if you will.

Link to video.

Maybe he means this tori

Well she was married to Trent Raznor from NIN I think?

And one of her albums has a shot of her breastfeeding a pig.

So I dunno.

It says in the wiki that tori is the plural of torus.

So if you launch too many nukes (Next War) on a torus map, does this happen?

I could watch it do that for a very long time and not get bored. :lol:

That's cheating (it creates an extra hole in the surface to turn inside out).

Tesseracts win

Top Bottom