Great Wall question

Smokeybear

Emperor
"On researching dynamite, the Great Wall becomes obsolete."

Does that mean when YOU research dynamite, your attacker has researched dynamite, or anyone in the game has researched dynamite? Or any of the above? If you refrain from researching dynamite yourself, will the Great Wall continue to provide its slowing protection indefinitely?

The current owner.
If you capture the city with the Great Wall (and have Dynamite) it also obsoletes it.

Effective GW strategy requires that the builder refrain from researching Dynamite as long as possible. Works all through the mid-game even for an expansionist civ, but the builder has to throw in the GW towel at a certain point. When your enemies get flight, the GW loses most of its effectiveness anyway.

Thanks, guys. I'm playing an OCC game where Germany is somewhat higher-tech than me, but he doesn't have aircraft quite yet. He's rattling his sabers outside the gates, and I want to keep the GW buff as long as I can.

I wish the Great Wall became obsolete regardless of which civilization discovers Dynamite.

I wish the Great Wall became obsolete regardless of which civilization discovers Dynamite.

Agree, this is one that doesn't make much sense to me. It should be ineffective against any civ with dynamite, effective against those that don't. The least logical condition, in my opinion, is the way it is in the game. It seems the nature of the wonder is that it slows down attackers. If they have dynamite, the GW realistically would present little more than a hiccup. MAYBE crossing into your territory gives a movement penalty similar to a river.

Army stops, looks, :rolleyes: says "Hold on a minute while I blow a hole in this thing." BANG! "Alright, let's get back to it, boys!"

I just wish Elizabeth was outlawed from building it, which she is so often fond of doing. Trying to break through London's defenses before you have dynamite, is a real torture. Between being slowed, having to get your siege units right up next to the town, having her tons of Longbowmen picking off your units before you can even see them, and then having her 27 Ships of the Line and Caravels swarming in the harbor instantly retake the city if you're finally able to break through and capture it (over and over again).... lol! That's gotta be one of the suckiest tasks in the entire game.

I just wish Elizabeth was outlawed from building it, which she is so often fond of doing. Trying to break through London's defenses before you have dynamite, is a real torture. Between being slowed, having to get your siege units right up next to the town, having her tons of Longbowmen picking off your units before you can even see them, and then having her 27 Ships of the Line and Caravels swarming in the harbor instantly retake the city if you're finally able to break through and capture it (over and over again).... lol! That's gotta be one of the suckiest tasks in the entire game.
Which is why England was not invaded post 1066? ;)

Which is why England was not invaded post 1066? ;)

That requires entirely too much discussion. Just thinking about it makes my head swim in a point I have no clue why it was uttered.

edit: England was repetitively and unabashedly assailed in every possible form and format since 1066, not the least of which involves the fact their monarchy is of germanic heritage, they have a modernly representative democracy, and about 2 "expletives" of withholdings globally against the past millenium's efforts.

They never lost "their island" but they've been kicked in the goodies about every way imaginable and they're not exactly winning.

Elizabeth zee Terrible of Airstrip One

Most terrible opponent, no need for GW too

That requires entirely too much discussion. Just thinking about it makes my head swim in a point I have no clue why it was uttered.

edit: England was repetitively and unabashedly assailed in every possible form and format since 1066, not the least of which involves the fact their monarchy is of germanic heritage, they have a modernly representative democracy, and about 2 "expletives" of withholdings globally against the past millenium's efforts.

They never lost "their island" but they've been kicked in the goodies about every way imaginable and they're not exactly winning.

As long as we kick France harder, then it's not really our concern :). Plus the last successful invasion of England was in 1688, the Glorious Revolution (See the Civ page on William of Orange). True, we've been at war for much of the lst 1000 years and we certinly no longer have the empire we once had, but it's not exactly like our small little island inhabited by a few million is up any creeks paddle-less.

yeah, this makes no sense to me either. if i have dynamite and you--the GW owner-- dont, i can surely bust thru your GW and march. oh well, c'est la vie.

Yes, it doesn't make sense from a realism perspective, but I'm fine with it from a gameplay perspective. If you're well into the Modern Era and your opponent doesn't have dynamite yet, the Great Wall isn't going to make that much of a difference.

And the most recent patch made Dynamite much more difficult to avoid.

This is how I always thought it worked. It just seemed obvious to me.

It`s pretty dumb that it don`t work that way. Really dumb.

Ive also wondered about this. Does it only count with the cities that are surrounded by the walls our all the cities that you posses. Secondly I notice that when I build the wall the borders expand very slowly so I was wondering how does this work. How do you get the walls to expand to the greatest distants. I notice when i reload the walls will spread out further but is there any other trick. How does this work?

Top Bottom