Does anyone build Giant Death Robots?

Do you build Giant Death Robots in Brave New World?

• Most of the time, yes.

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • It depends on the situation. I.E (Non-Nuclear proliferation passed)

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I still build them, but not that much.

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • Not at all.

Votes: 50 53.2%

• Total voters
XCOMs are for wrapping up a domination victory, GDRs are for turtling whilst finishing off a builder game.

The only problem there is your best ship maker city tends also to be your best military recruitment city, as both are heavy on the hammers - and it's usually quicker to build ship parts than to rush with lv3 tenets. And they're so far removed from Internet, it's a rare game when you actually get to build them before becoming the tourism capital of the world.

Apologies for bringing a tangent of guided missiles to a thread about GDRs; we should try to return to topic...

I try to avoid discussions of buffing as they usually end up as wishful thinking that never happens. Nonetheless, I'd like GDRs to be the opposite of XCOMs-- XCOMs are limited in their spawn location but practically unlimited in their mobility. It would be great if GDRs were limited in their mobility but practically unlimited in their spawn location.

In other words, their movement points are unchanged, but upon building or buying one, you can place it anywhere on the map, probably with the restriction that it isn't in another civ's territory. This can be rationalized as the prerequisite techs required for GDRs would enable a civ to have them constructed in orbit of the planet and deployed much like a returning shuttle. This also provides an opportunity for an awesome graphics moment, similar to or potentially better than the nuke graphics (I personally find nukes inefficient for strategic use, but the graphics alone make them desirable.

My games are typically over before I get this far, but whenever I do, I just build one as a "f@#$ you" to the AI. I usually serve them up whenever I really want to hurt an opponent for something they did about 3000 years prior. Here's looking at you Lizzy, where's your longbowmen now???

LOL, glad to know I'm not the only one who hates her. I particularly despise Her Majesty's Secret Service. Guess even James Bond didn't saw those GDRs coming.

My last game actually got an amusing turn. I was messing wtih Really Advanced Setup mod and few things of Prince, and the game turned out, due to the fact that leading AI was huge warmonger (it was Alex), to be far too easy on Prince level...I was a runaway pretty much from the start, and if I hadn't turned off culture victory the game would be done far before 1900 (dunno what turn it corresponds to as I'm playing on Marathon). And city states actually gave me some GDRs after I researched proper tech, and I re-gifted them. So...CS now actually have more advanced armies than any AI. At least one CS has GDR, Rocket Arty and SAM while its neigbor is running around with Great War units...

So now nobody dares to go warmongering and I'm just thinking...science, diplo or conquest? I have 14 nukes ready and nobody will be making any more in the future due to World Congress...

They are weak, but they're soooooo cheap.

The most important rule-of-thumb with missiles is to never own one for more than a half-dozen turns. They are cheap, one-shot units and as such you don't want to be paying maintenance on them. Stockpiling missiles will destroy your economy.

As a return to the 'tangent', not only do you not Want to pay maintenance for guided missiles, but you DO NOT pay maintenance for them.

Stockpiling Guided Missiles cost you two things only:
1) They count against the air unit stacking capacity of a city
2) They count against unit supply (too many units overall will reduce civ-wide production, and potentially other things -- I don't recall). Check the left column of your F3 for your supply status.

@Nemu -- you may not be playing at the “right” difficulty level and/or pacing. Your games have to be standard pace (faster would prolly work too), and you should be struggling. They turned up pretty regularly in my immortal games, which were taking me around 400 turns to win. I am now struggle to win Deity by any VC other than diplo, and I see the occasional XCOM or GDR -- right before an AI launches.

If anyone has suggestions for game setup options that result in XCOM/GDR being fairly pivotal, I would much appreciate it! They are fun units to have in play, but it’s been the rare game for me where they really mattered.

@Nemu -- you may not be playing at the “right” difficulty level and/or pacing. Your games have to be standard pace (faster would prolly work too), and you should be struggling. They turned up pretty regularly in my immortal games, which were taking me around 400 turns to win. I am now struggle to win Deity by any VC other than diplo, and I see the occasional XCOM or GDR -- right before an AI launches.

If anyone has suggestions for game setup options that result in XCOM/GDR being fairly pivotal, I would much appreciate it! They are fun units to have in play, but it’s been the rare game for me where they really mattered.

If you really wanna see X-COM and GDR, play a game with Domination being only available victory.

^ Disabling VC is too clumsy for my tastes. (1) Part of the challenge is achieving the player’s chosen VC before one of the AI wins some other way. (2) It should be possible to figure out settings (quick pace or advance start maybe?) where XCOM and GDR are relevant even for non-domination victories.

If you really wanna see X-COM and GDR, play a game with Domination being only available victory.

Really? You should be able to win Domination long before those show up. Artillery or any kind of bomber makes capturing cities trivial.

XCOMs are for wrapping up a domination victory, GDRs are for turtling whilst finishing off a builder game.

Say what? If you're turtling, Stealth Bombers are far better than GDRs for defense. Can hit anything 20+ tiles away, heal 35 HP per turn with a medic unit, has 170 strength versus land units, and can't be intercepted by SAMs or fighters?

Plus they're basically immune to attack, too -- they can be based in a city half a continent away and aren't vulnerable to enemy bombers/artillery.

Really? You should be able to win Domination long before those show up. Artillery or any kind of bomber makes capturing cities trivial.
concur- dom games are almost always my quickest victories (in terms of turns, not gameplay time (blasted 1UPT!)

I don't really see them in my Deity games and I'm nowhere near a fast finisher ( :lol: )

Say what? If you're turtling, Stealth Bombers are far better than GDRs for defense. Can hit anything 20+ tiles away, heal 35 HP per turn with a medic unit, has 170 strength versus land units, and can't be intercepted by SAMs or fighters?

Plus they're basically immune to attack, too -- they can be based in a city half a continent away and aren't vulnerable to enemy bombers/artillery.

I was more thinking of putting it on a coastal city. Air forces are, of course, more import an than the big guy!

Of course, if your invader is not a dumb AI, they'll be dropping a couple of dozen XCOMs on you and taking your Resources offline...

I always build them for fun if i get that late in the game. Most of the time when i get to the tech, i already won but "lost" any quick victory (provided i cared about quick victory to start with) so it doesn't really matter that they are optimal/sub-optimal for my game. They are cool :D

My wars usually go through tanks so if I for some reason does not win, I med up with GDR. Happened once. :)

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

I would love to as they seem to be the definition of OP. However, in the week I've played the game (So far 1 win, 1 unfinished out of 2) I have been unable to reach it.
Looks cool though.
Crap given by me: 0
:cool:

I hate to say this, but I think if you want to play with the mighty awesome overpowered and laughably animated giant death robots, then you have to beeline them. There's no accidental way they show up in the game. The devs put them waaay at the end, so you have to really want them.

You do really want them right?!

They're not overpowered. You're going to have to argue that one.

I see that you did not debate "mighty" or "awesome" and I deeply appreciate that.

They are overpowered because they are giant mechs of doom, devastation, and debauchery. When they are on the screen, you should remember to zoom waaaaaaaay in to enjoy them.

Top Bottom