Rolled Byzantium on a Highlands map.

World age: 3 Million Years
Temp: Average
Rain: Average
Size: Standard
Players: 8
Difficulty: Diety
One City Challenge enabled

Started on a tiny strip of 10 hexes, hemmed in between a thick band of Mountains and a tiny inland lake... it is impossible to even leave that restrictive start zone until you research optics (bear in mind this is a highland map and the naval tree is otherwise useless).

Due to the one-city-challenge, you cannot expand and therefore cannot make any trade routes via sea or land until people settle on the far shores of the lake.

Defensively it's a dream, the mountain range is too thick for artillary to attack my city and my navy controls the small lake. But naturally, you struggle to meet the other players and growth is horribly stunted by a lack of trade and resources. Diety means the AI grows rapidly and a science victory or domination (via being nuked or being overrun by far superior troops) is the likely result.

I rate myself as quite a good player and I dare say this map/scenario is actually impossible to win. I'm willing to upload it if anyone feels brave enough to try?

Lately the computer has had a sadistic sense of humor.

G&K, level 5, continents, China, average/standard.

Last two games I spawn between two warmonger civs. This game Attila and Bismark (Dida in the background), who bounce me like a tennis ball. Bismark attacks early, I beat him back just as Attilla hits my other flank, and back and forth 2x each - never with a let up.

I upgrade my archers as fast as possible (usually I time my strikes with cho-ku-nos). Took Attila down to one city, then made peace (here comes Bismark again).

800AD - Bismark is now about to see his last city burn. Then I will do the same to Attila, and hopefully Dida (my friend) before I meet anyone else.

"Other civs - what other civs? Just me a some CSs alone on this continent - I just LOVE peaceful relations."

Huge game on Emperor, playing as Japan. Continents, cold and wet. It's going surprisingly well. I was far enough from my nearest neighbors that I didn't feel the compulsion to over expand and got my National College in early. After quite a bit of work, I allied with neighboring England and have created a coalition of 4 civs that allows me to faceroll the other Civs with impunity. I can create a denouncement chain with ease and am currently seizing the coastal cities of the tech leading, city spamming Iroquois.

Warlord. Bumping it up after this. Might just go to King next.

Be careful, King is quite a jump from Warlord. The AI actually has advantages over you starting at Prince, and they are somewhat sizable on King. I might test myself on a larger map on Prince before moving to a smaller map on King.

Last two games I spawn between two warmonger civs. This game Attila and Bismark (Dida in the background), who bounce me like a tennis ball. Bismark attacks early, I beat him back just as Attilla hits my other flank, and back and forth 2x each - never with a let up.

Ugh, I *HATE* that. I had a game where I ticked off Indonesia and Portugal while I was between them on a snake-like continent between them. The only solution I found was to completely remove Portugal from the game so it would stop.

I was in a two-front war BC, and got Attila down to one city. Still, when I went off to the other threat, he just built up and DOWed again (man, I'm gonna miss him as i sit on his throne in Attila's Court).

I was in a two-front war BC, and got Attila down to one city. Still, when I went off to the other threat, he just built up and DOWed again (man, I'm gonna miss him as i sit on his throne in Attila's Court).

I agree with you: the only course of action there is to remove Attila from the game completely. You'll unfortunately receive a massive warmonger penalty for doing it, because the diplomacy in this game badly lacks a causus belli mechanism.

That's why I have to wipe out the entire continent before AIs on the other continent find me. What happens on the first continent stays on the first continent.

I decided to play with a Civ where I'd yet to win a game: The Dutch.

Type: Archipelago
Speed: Marathon
Difficulty: Emperor
Size: Huge
No mods, nothing weird, most settings on random, complete kills required
Objective: Build my largest navy ever and win through domination
Saved Game Title: Evil Dutch

I'm playing openly as a villain. But even a villain can have friends. Due to my initial size and power, everyone wanted to be my buddy. When Attila attacked me, the world denounced him and allowed me to kill him. Then whenever one of my friends would ask me to kill someone else, I'd agree. Eventually I figured the rest of the world would catch on that I was going to kill them all, but it's been nothing but cowardice. When India fell, half the world's wonders passed to me.
I've wiped out a little more than half the world and I'm invading the only Civ that's remotely close to me militarily - Sweden.

I haven't finished the game because it's been no challenge. Had the entire world DOW'd me - which I expected - this could have been one incredible game where I had to do some real strategic thinking. Instead, I have this massive fleet of doom sailing in formation, obliterating cities as they go. I don't even send land troops any more.

HB

I decided to play with a Civ where I'd yet to win a game: The Dutch.

Type: Archipelago
Speed: Marathon
Difficulty: Emperor
Size: Huge
No mods, nothing weird, most settings on random, complete kills required
Objective: Build my largest navy ever and win through domination
Saved Game Title: Evil Dutch

I'm playing openly as a villain. But even a villain can have friends. Due to my initial size and power, everyone wanted to be my buddy. When Attila attacked me, the world denounced him and allowed me to kill him. Then whenever one of my friends would ask me to kill someone else, I'd agree. Eventually I figured the rest of the world would catch on that I was going to kill them all, but it's been nothing but cowardice. When India fell, half the world's wonders passed to me.
I've wiped out a little more than half the world and I'm invading the only Civ that's remotely close to me militarily - Sweden.

I haven't finished the game because it's been no challenge. Had the entire world DOW'd me - which I expected - this could have been one incredible game where I had to do some real strategic thinking. Instead, I have this massive fleet of doom sailing in formation, obliterating cities as they go. I don't even send land troops any more.

HB

Heh, heh.... Yeah, I've had those games... They're exciting right up to the point you suddenly realize no one can touch you any more...it's just a matter of who you are going to take on next. In some games, unless a city has some choice wonders in it, it just becomes a tedious chore taking it down.....

Time to start a new game.....:)

I like those games where you know you will have to take on your neighbour(s).....but they are strong and you are at the point of trying to decide how to do it and, maybe, who to take on first..... But you know "peaceful co-existence" is not in the cards....

Arabia, diety, small, pangea.
this is my second diety game. First one I won with SV. Now trying for domination.
No flood plains around me but some desert. so I abandoned by usual plan of getting desert folklore. Lots of silver so I got that pantheon. Did not get a religion, as expected.
Played peaceful until, about 9 turns before getting chivalry (with six chariot archers just waiting to be upgraded), Rome attacks. I fend off the first wave with the chariot archers and a few CB, then, FINALLY, chivalry comes and I now have six camel archers. I've killed at least a dozen warriors, knights, pikemen and ballistas now, but can't move across the jungle toward their city because their units just keep coming.

Tall three cities with Korea on Emp.

I'm currently friendly with everyone in the game and host of the WC, so I'm at the point where I'm trying to provoke Shaka into DOWing me for fun. He took the trade embargo I imposed on him rather well.

Top Bottom