Paradise Found

salty mud

Deity
I haven't heard much about this map. What do people make of it? It seems like an interesting change of pace. I was thinking of giving it a try on my next game.

Moderator Action: Moved to GD, since it has nothing to do with G&K.

For me, it's unplayable: the ESC key doesn't work, and it's aggravating, and multiple civs and city-states have the same exact name, so I need to memorize their colours to know who I'm dealing with.
Additional minor annoyance: scrolling up doesn't work half the time (when it's done with the mouse pointer in the middle, where the score is).

I can't believe this is professionally made. Or maybe I was unlucky and got a bugged copy?

Edit: SCRATCH ALL THAT, it was because I started it from the mods menu rather than the scenario menu. Still, what a mess.

I thought that Paradise Found was one of the more boring scenarios.

With a Cultural VC, there was very little to do. You explore a lot. You build tons of cities. And then you click "Next Turn" a lot. There is little reason to interact with the other civs, though you can beat them all up if you want.

You have to play all 4 of the civs to get all the achievements but I found that the gameplay for each of the civs was still basically the same (due to the winning conditions).

It does give you an interesting perspective on the geography of that area, and of some historic events (like Captain Cook) but it was a pretty painful scenario to play.

The Mongol Scenario was awesome.
The New World Scenario was okay.
The Paradise Found scenario was painful and atrocious.
The 1066 Scenario was okay.
The Korean War Scenario was mostly fun, but 25% of it was painful.
The Wonders of the Ancient World Scenario was awesome.
The Into the Renaissance Scenario was mostly fun, but 25% of it was painful.
The Fall of Rome Scenario was pretty fun.
The Empires of the Smoky Skies Scenario was surprisingly boring.

I thought that Paradise Found was one of the more boring scenarios.

With a Cultural VC, there was very little to do. You explore a lot. You build tons of cities. And then you click "Next Turn" a lot. There is little reason to interact with the other civs, though you can beat them all up if you want.

You have to play all 4 of the civs to get all the achievements but I found that the gameplay for each of the civs was still basically the same (due to the winning conditions).

It does give you an interesting perspective on the geography of that area, and of some historic events (like Captain Cook) but it was a pretty painful scenario to play.

The Mongol Scenario was awesome.
The New World Scenario was okay.
The Paradise Found scenario was painful and atrocious.
The 1066 Scenario was okay.
The Korean War Scenario was mostly fun, but 25% of it was painful.
The Wonders of the Ancient World Scenario was awesome.
The Into the Renaissance Scenario was mostly fun, but 25% of it was painful.
The Fall of Rome Scenario was pretty fun.
The Empires of the Smoky Skies Scenario was surprisingly boring.

Could you explain a bit on why you say "25% of it was painful"?:crazyeye:

I like Paradise Lost. Exploring the world and seeing ocean around islands bring serenity to my soul. :)

Could you explain a bit on why you say "25% of it was painful"?:crazyeye:
The Korean War and Into the Renaissance can both get tedious during the last portions of the game.

With Into the Renaissance, there were several playthroughs where I had quite handedly won by the 75% mark, but then I had to just keep slogging through the remaining turns (clicking on Next Turn). In addition, the very large map and the high number of civilizations meant that turns could take very long to process near the end game.

In the Korean War, the factions are a bit unbalanced. Trying to *lose* as Korea is actually the hardest thing to do. Japan and Mongolia have to slog through the Great Wall so even if your win is inevitable, it takes an awful long time to do so.

The Korean War and Into the Renaissance can both get tedious during the last portions of the game.

With Into the Renaissance, there were several playthroughs where I had quite handedly won by the 75% mark, but then I had to just keep slogging through the remaining turns (clicking on Next Turn). In addition, the very large map and the high number of civilizations meant that turns could take very long to process near the end game.

In the Korean War, the factions are a bit unbalanced. Trying to *lose* as Korea is actually the hardest thing to do. Japan and Mongolia have to slog through the Great Wall so even if your win is inevitable, it takes an awful long time to do so.

In the Korea scenario, getting Ozy-ed as Korea is actually a good thing, as Ozymandias does not like to visit Korea in the scenario (Ozymandias prefers to visit any other civ in the scenario). Wu most of the time blocks Ozymandias from meeting Sejong. As Sejong, the player has to try very hard for Ozymandias to come.

Top Bottom