Unofficial Science Challenge - The Deity Poll

Vote for ONLY 2 civilizations you would like to play in this Challenge.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
As for Spain I'd would't deny approximity to any or several wonders - it's part of their UA and therefore essential part of the game. Most likely AI Spain will not become an early runaway due to finding a wonder nor is it an instant 'I win' -button for a human. It surely does help a lot in the beginning but that's kind of the point of their UA.

I'm not sure if people forget it or not, but Spain gets 100g for finding a wonder anyway. That alone is still a good UA benefit. After doing 19 random starts with Spain with start bias enabled, I was the first to find a wonder less than 20% of the time (3 our of 19). Their wonder-based UA doesnt mean they get a first discovery every time.

This hinges on people voting Spain up to be one of the two winners though. Since there wasn't enough room to include all of the civs in the poll it will have to be voted on in these comments (see post #2 for the list of the ones that didnt make it). There is still 6 days of voting left to get them there.

Keep in mind this has to be an identical set-up and replay is infinite. Prior map knowledge isn't just allowed but required to keep results more accurate for this challenge so loading with Spain and beelining to be the first wonder discoverer creates an imbalance, imo, relative to this particular challenge.

That is absolutely correct. Replaying the map a few times gives you an idea where everything's located. It won't be fair to settle on T10 next to the GBR and make up for the lost 10 turns in the following 10 just because you have so much food, beakers, gold per turn and some production right off the bat.

Grendeldef had a good idea that I will probably do. I could include a save with a completely revealed map to save others the initial exploration efforts. It wouldnt be required to view but this challenge could be quite tedious and repetitive. I'm guessing to fully explore this challenge with each civ would really test some players patience. I know it would test mine since I am not at the level that many of these players are.

First post yay!

Never got to play any difficulty past King, but if I were to I would give Austria a shot. The overpowering UA would come in handy.

welcome!

Austria's window of OP-ness might be coming to a close with the new patch. but in the hands of a player they will still be quite awesome!

I voted America and Rome.

America, because I think it's an under-appreciated civ. Rome I think would be an interesting civ for a tall science empire.

Based on the voting in the unique unit elimination thread, I would agree that America seems to be a bit under appreciated.

This is mainly a bump for an interesting topic but to say something relative to the matter I hope that peeps are not voting for Spain just to have an exceptionally good start. Also regardless of Spain's existence I would remove FoY from immediate vicinity of the starting spot.
Skilldorado is more of a discretionary call - it surely makes things a lot easier in the beginning but on the other hand it might make the challenge more approachable for the general public without undermining the integrity of the main task of evaluating the science potential.
Other natural wonders - including 2xGBR - are just fine.

G

3 days left and results are looking about like I suspected. it will be interesting to see if anything big changes before Monday afternoon.

bump for the final day of votes. looks like it will be Inca and one other to test the strength of science.

I really like that Inca looks like the favorite, as such an all-round civ does great on Deity. It all comes down to which civs can hold their own while teching up as quickly as possible to make up for the Deity handicap.

Spain close to Krakatoa (+10 bpt), Barringer (+6 bpt, +4 gpt) or GBR (2x4F/2H/2G/4BPT) should be the best science civ, but that would be too overpowered - albeit situational. There is a save on the forums with wondrous Spain GBR start on Continents map (no mountain though) which is worth testing just for the fun of it. It is a wicked start - GBR and an isolated peninsula - block the entrance with 2 units and no one can DOW you the entire game, no matter how much they'll threaten you. Really cool.

Pangea is also the better choice, as continents map takes a bit longer to win, as you need to enter deep sea first in order to find the rest of the civs, and that rarely happens before T100 (even if you go for Commerce and the free Great Admiral policy). It will also be hard to make friends on your own continent.

Pangea is also the better choice, as continents map takes a bit longer to win, as you need to enter deep sea first in order to find the rest of the civs, and that rarely happens before T100 (even if you go for Commerce and the free Great Admiral policy). It will also be hard to make friends on your own continent.

Out of those two map options I still prefer continents by far for several reasons and a myriad of reasons has been argued in favour of both sides. However, as I see this as a test of relative power between civs the actual time of VC is irrelevant. Trying to achieve the earliest possible VC is a bit different and in this particular case Pangaea would favour Korea - not significantly but still.

G

Rome I think would be an interesting civ for a tall science empire.

Why, because Rome has absolutely nothing going for a tall empire? Its UA is made for wide empires and its UBs makes it a war machine, not promoting tall either. If it was your intention to chose a totally unfit civ for science, then ok, but I am intrigued why you think it would an be interesting choice.:confused:

Btw, I vote Inca (voted in the poll) and Spain. I find both to be very powerful civs in general and think they can do well. I hope I get to play this. I am not a deity player and time is short, but i have a few days off next week, so I'll see if I can have a stab at it.

It looks like Arabia might nudge in ahead of China. What a shame.

Why, because Rome has absolutely nothing going for a tall empire? Its UA is made for wide empires and its UBs makes it a war machine, not promoting tall either. If it was your intention to chose a totally unfit civ for science, then ok, but I am intrigued why you think it would an be interesting choice.:confused:

Btw, I vote Inca (voted in the poll) and Spain. I find both to be very powerful civs in general and think they can do well. I hope I get to play this. I am not a deity player and time is short, but i have a few days off next week, so I'll see if I can have a stab at it.

In Tall empires, your cities are much more filled out with buildings than in Wide empires. With a wide empire, you are cherry picking buildings much more carefully because you don't have the hammers/time/gold to churn out a dozen museums.

Furthermore, think about the effect a 25% production boost would have on a 3 pop city with +4 base production. Practically negligible. Now think about a 25% production boost to a tall city with 25 base production. You would need 5 or 6 cities to get the same raw hammer value, but it would take 5x as long for all of them to complete.

So basically, what I like about Rome in a tall empire is you're filling out each city much more and you have significantly more concentrated base hammers for the UA to modify.

Yeah! Go Persia!.........no-one? ok just me then :(. At least Tabarnak was good enough to provide some company for my Byzantium vote. People do know Inca won't have their normal start bias right?

I am sure there will be some hills present: Inca doesn't need to be surrounded by hills to do well on Deity. If the last map that HammerRabbi made is even remotely close to this one, Inca will do well. There were like 4-5 available hills in the vicinity of the city and that's ok.

Inca needs to have a few mountains adjacent to hill tiles. It would be nice if there were one or two hill tiles with three mountains around them.

Top Bottom