Vokarya's Workshop: Wonders

The error message is Error in buildingBuilt event handler <function onBuildingBuilt at hexadecimal code>.

Screenshot with the problem line commented out (religion spreads everywhere, no error):
View attachment 385577

I tried it twice with the problem line working, with different hexadecimal codes but the routine looks like it stops at the same place (it should have spread to at least one more city after Ulundi):
View attachment 385576View attachment 385578

Usually if python exceptions is activated, you get a blue box with traceback errors telling you exactly what is wrong with that line, such as syntax error.

I'd forgotten about that. I used to have it turned on, then I must have forgotten to reactivate it when I deleted my ini file to rebuild it. I think I have it solved now. Here is the error message I got when I reactivated the exceptions:
View attachment 385599

Then when I changed
Code:
pTeam = gc.getTeam(pPlayer.getTeam())
to
Code:
iTeam = gc.getTeam(pPlayer.getTeam()).getID()
and changed the assignment in the isVassal check, no more errors.

Both would come far too late, especially the Islam one.

Why do you think so? If both come right immediately with the religion foundation, I think these could boost up the spread of these religions.

Then when I changed
Code:
pTeam = gc.getTeam(pPlayer.getTeam())
to
Code:
iTeam = gc.getTeam(pPlayer.getTeam()).getID()
and changed the assignment in the isVassal check, no more errors.

Well you know, there are a lot of redundancies in that code already, no need to introduce more :D

pPlayer.getTeam() is the Team ID itself
gc.getTeam(pPlayer.getTeam()) will result in a CyTeam
When you use CyTeam.getID() you get back pPlayer.getTeam()

In short, this will do:
Code:
iTeam = pPlayer.getTeam()

Some other redundancies:
1) pPlayerX.isBarbarian() == False
There is no point checking for barbs when gc.getMAX_CIV_PLAYERS is used.

2) pRelCity = pPlayerX.getCity(city.getID())
Similar to the Team ID cycle.
city itself is CyCity
pRelCity == city

3) For the iStepper count, I would just increment it continuously and just use iStepper %4 == 0

4) I stopped using PyPlayer.getCityList() method ever since I realised it is a double loop inefficient code. What it actually does is using a while loop to loop through all your cities and add them into a list. Then you use a for loop to loop through this list and do what you need, for this case, check and add religion.

Then you realise, you can simply do the check and add religion stuff within the while loop itself.

I promised the Meeting of Minds a long time ago to get the Mind Uploading tech out of its one-trick-pony status. I was able to find a decent movie for it (the Akashic Records movie) and I used the Secret Project for the in-field building. The Meeting provides 1 free copy of each of Artist, Celebrity, Engineer, Magistrate, Merchant, Noble, Priest, Scientist, and Spy. I chose not to have it give a free Citizen or free Slave. (Any more types would create a scroll bar on the movie; not something I want, and I think the current bonus is quite sufficient; it would be overpowered earlier, but at the end of the Transhuman, I think rule-breaking is more acceptable.)

View attachment 386871View attachment 386870
View attachment 386869

That seems pretty cool. :)

Here is something else that occurred to me about the two "satellite wonders" of Military Satellites and Communication Satellites. Both of these are classified as National Wonders, but the bonuses are so small that they seem almost trivial (Mil Sat is +2% espionage in all cities, and Comm Sat is +1% to gold, culture, science in all cities). I suspect these were originally buildings that were converted to National Wonders.

I was thinking of converting both of these to Team Projects, as we've been fairly consistent with modeling everything off-Earth as projects instead of buildings, and multiply the bonuses by 5 (maybe even 10?) to make them seem actually worth building.

Maybe we could have a late Renaissance wonder in the form of the Tesla coil. Its most important effect would be to be the earliest source of power. About other bonuses... I don't know.
Just an idea, maybe it can fit somewhere to increase the trick count.

Gutenberg Bible: Imo this is way too strong! Spreads your religion to 1/4th of connected foriegn cities, all of your vassal cities aswell as all of your cities. DOUBLE production speed with paper and only costs 960 hammers. Also only requires 1 printer.

For starters I think +25% production from paper is enough, also I think the cost should be way higher. Compare it to something like venetian arsenal which costs 1120 and has no production modifiers and is much less powerful imo. So I think something like 1360 hammers or something.

Secondly I think it should require a printer in everyone of your cities or 80% or something. 1 is too easy. Even with these changes I think it is too strong.

Lastly I think it should perhaps be scaled to map size, on larger maps this would be ridiculously powerful. In my game (standard map) it was still incredibly powerful, it would be way stronger on larger maps imo.

Gutenberg Bible: Imo this is way too strong! Spreads your religion to 1/4th of connected foriegn cities, all of your vassal cities aswell as all of your cities. DOUBLE production speed with paper and only costs 960 hammers. Also only requires 1 printer.

For starters I think +25% production from paper is enough, also I think the cost should be way higher. Compare it to something like venetian arsenal which costs 1120 and has no production modifiers and is much less powerful imo. So I think something like 1360 hammers or something.

Secondly I think it should require a printer in everyone of your cities or 80% or something. 1 is too easy. Even with these changes I think it is too strong.

Lastly I think it should perhaps be scaled to map size, on larger maps this would be ridiculously powerful. In my game (standard map) it was still incredibly powerful, it would be way stronger on larger maps imo.

I finally had a game where it didn't auto-convert half (or more) of the world in one turn, but most of the world either hated me, was at war with me, or wasn't connected (overseas + inland) so it barely spread at all. Most games it's just astounding, even with the recent nerf it got.

Weaken it too much, it won't be worth building. Right now though I think it still needs more tweaking - maybe keep it as-is but prevent overseas spread? (That'd kill Archipelago maps for sure though...) I dunno, I'm terrible with balancing topics xD

Good grief. You might as well just butcher it and throw it out to pasture now. Why build a wonder when you want it to do virtually nothing?

I'm not changing Gutenberg Bible's effect any more. It's supposed to have a big effect because it only goes off once; after that, it's a culture/GPP generator (fairly large at +6 culture, but flat) like the Oracle. I think a lot of how strong its effect depends on your play style. If you trade a lot and don't close borders, then it's going to be strong. If you play isolationist or build it before you get Navigation and ocean trade, then it won't be as strong.

Right. In this game most civilizations didn't have open borders with me or even embassies, so it didn't spread much at all. I had a few open borders with civs that didn't receive it period (They were landlocked where my connectedness couldn't reach), so the wonder was essentially wasted - it spread to a few islands reachable by Galley and to my own cities, and that was it.

The first time I built it my religion shot up to 51% from 20 or so. Second time was similar (An AI built it though). So it does depend on how you're going about approaching the game. At times it may seem like it's absurdly overpowered, other times it doesn't.

At the very least remove the Double production cost with paper and increase the cost please. It at least needs to cause the civ building it some sort of sacrifice or investment.

Top Bottom