After 1500 hours of play...

pdxmm

Chieftain
I just had a new first and one that kinda shocked me. This game wasn't meant to actually be played past 100 turns as I was only checking out a new mod and if it played nice with the other ones I had. None of my mods change the AI or at least I don't think so.

When I started this game I picked a easy difficulty (whatever the normal game is called) and rolled as England. Fast forward to the industrial era and I noticed that Persia was building all the wonders and their capital city was exposed so I said why not and I took it. Before this Persia had the second largest army and had gone to war with Rome who was #1, at the time of my DoW they both were ahead of me but not by much. After I took the capital I noticed that Rome had also fallen so I checked infoaddict and both Persia and Rome had dropped off a lot on military score to the point I was at like 180k and they were down to 45k and 55k.

I didn't really think much more about this until like 20 turns latter with a military score of only 75k did Persia DoW on me. The message was even different he knew he didn't stand a chance but he had to do something or close to that line. Even on higher difficulty setting I have never had an AI do this when I had such lead in military and in techs. Now it didn't do him any good cause he lost another 4 cities and the rest of the AI's dog piled on him once I routed him but still I was impressed he gave it a shot. It is nice that things can still surprise me even after so much time played. Thought I would share.

Yeah, I'm not really sure what you're trying to say either. You hit whatever trigger makes the AI go "He's a runaway Civ."

Remember, the AI isn't intended to beat the other AI's, its intended to beat YOU. If they feel its their last chance to keep you in the game, they are going to take it.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, as I'm not really able to use any mod's in HoF play, but it seems to me that whatever mod or utility you were using is telling you the reason right there. You were almost 4 times the AI in mil score, they said "If we don't stop him now, we're not stopping him."

It definitely doesn't mean what you think it means, as most of the best Civs are still going to be winning around T150, with only Attila really able to beat this regularly. That's the BEST civs, with the BEST players on them.

I also don't think that while you've admittedly used a mod (which means you aren't playing the game as it was written) that you can say "The game wasn't meant to go past 100 turns" especially considering you played on an easy difficulty. I'm assuming you played on Prince, which I'm confident my wife who has played Civ for a grand total of about 3 hours could beat handily.

This is from a post from 2013 by Gabriel Pyyrhic:

Gabriel Pyyrhic said:
FYI The AI does have a Victory Competitiveness rating that is used (used to be used from the start of the game, now is used later on IIRC), runaways end up as a strong VICTORY THREAT which bothers those civs that are strongly competitive with regard to victory. Game Threat is analogous to targeting a runaway in the code. Also runaways often end up with many wonders, many city states, or large armies, all (or any) of those will make different AI's hate (or at least the ones that care about the area of the game in which you are the dominant party). Again turn on the logging as most of these are logged each and every turn.

Hope this helps.

I took an AI's city that had a ton of wonders and in the process I pretty much killed his entire army but despite that that AI and that AI alone attacked me back a little latter in the game when I had at least a 3 to 1 advantage which after as much game play I have this had never happened to me before even on a higher difficulty setting. This was new to me and thought I would share but if my experience is only going to cause confusion then a mod can just delete it.

If you're really strong and they feel they have to attack anyway (alliances, or you're the runaway civ or whatever), they will say "We don't think we can beat you, but we're going to try anyway". That's pretty common if you go to late game.

They then proceed to wreck your farming or snipe a city or something.

Top Bottom