Affinities vs Victory Conditions?

Sherlock

Just one more turn...
I'm a little sketchy on the difference.

Domination and Contact are 'stand alone' VC's - you can win those no matter which Affinity you pick.

And then the three Affinities each have their own VC?

Yes each affinty has a victory condition unlock after you achieve 13 points in that affinity.

Supremacy Affinity = Emancipation: build a warp gate back to earth and send military units through it to convert humanity into cybernetic life like yourself.

Purity Affinity = Promised Land: Build a warp gate and bring through and protect 20 settlers and their settlements.

Harmony Affinity = Transcendence: Build the mind flower to communicate with the planet and merge your people's minds into the planet's.

I heard that there's also some horizontal bonuses, so the Contact VC may very well try to get all level 1 points across all three affinities if this is possible.

I'm thinking that a playing seeking Domination victory is most likely to pick either the Supremacy or Purity affinity, but he'd skip the warp gate. (Purity using the military to protect his existing colonists by wiping out those that aren't pure [and unless some form of cooperative victory is allowed setting standards so high that the other purity affinity factions can't meet either.] While Supremacy using the military to liberate those living on Planet from their bodies, including other Supremacy factions.)

I heard that there's also some horizontal bonuses, so the Contact VC may very well try to get all level 1 points across all three affinities if this is possible.

I'm thinking that a playing seeking Domination victory is most likely to pick either the Supremacy or Purity affinity, but he'd skip the warp gate. (Purity using the military to protect his existing colonists by wiping out those that aren't pure [and unless some form of cooperative victory is allowed setting standards so high that the other purity affinity factions can't meet either.] While Supremacy using the military to liberate those living on Planet from their bodies, including other Supremacy factions.)

Harmony would be just as good at conquest. Crush those destroying our environment. Flood the world with miasma.

Harmony would be just as good at conquest.

"viable" sure. "just as good" is a bit early to say since we know nothing about harmony late game military and how harmony would handle wide empires.

I hope they succeed in balancing though and it does not get as bland as puritys "every unit can range strike and tank some".

"viable" sure. "just as good" is a bit early to say since we know nothing about harmony late game military and how harmony would handle wide empires.

I hope they succeed in balancing though and it does not get as bland as puritys "every unit can range strike and tank some".

Well, we don't know... But that is their goal (all affinities equally good at warmongering)

And purity's major ability is not range but levitation..their superunits go everywhere.

I figure that the Domination Player will cherry pick the Affinities to maximize the War Effort. As such they may not commit to any one Affinity. There may also be some value in MP in not telegraphing which way you are going Affinity-wise. Of course, if there is a Diplomacy Overview like in Civ 5, that would torpedo that subterfuge :)

The livestream said a Supremacy military will probably not use an overwhelming force military doctrine but a hit and run, search and destroy, "surgical" doctrine. The way it was described, I immediately thought "Salarians from Mass Effect!"

I'd guess that the overwhelming force doctrine would probably work best with harmony simply because purity seems like it's more of a blitzkrieg doctrine -- hard and fast but avoid getting pinned down. Well that and the idea of going harmony and then "zerging" opponents was probably too hard to ignore.

I figure that the Domination Player will cherry pick the Affinities to maximize the War Effort. As such they may not commit to any one Affinity. There may also be some value in MP in not telegraphing which way you are going Affinity-wise. Of course, if there is a Diplomacy Overview like in Civ 5, that would torpedo that subterfuge :)

You have to commit to an affinity to get the high level military units...high level affinity=high level military.

You don't have to commit Early, but you do have to commit to get your best units (probably based on resources..since you will need them for high level units)

The condition where I can best see Not having one highly dominant affinity is a Contact Victory...where you are in a good turtling position.

I can see the value, if one is in a reasonably close proximity to another civ early-ish, to making a quick beeline to the affinity you are closest to, if doing so would give you a large enough advantage over said civ to outweigh the risk. Then you incorporate their cities into your empire, and sit on the boost those extra x cities give you. It might be enough to get you on the road to world conquest.

Top Bottom