Would you buy the Expansion with Israel included?

Yes or No?

• Yes

Votes: 132 86.8%
  • No

Votes: 20 13.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference is that no one in the Caribbean wakes up and says, "I'm a Caribbean". Pretty sure Palestinians wake up and say, "We're Palestinian".

Not really. Given 15% of the people said they wouldn't buy based on inclusion, there goes 15% of the sales.

The poll, as it stands right now at ~100 votes, is hardly indicative of anything. The sample pool is just too small. I highly doubt that Firaxis would see a 15% sales loss just because the Hebrews/Israelites/Judeans were included. If so, that's pretty petty of 15% of people to ignore 8 other civs and several new systems just because of one unfathomably controversial civ.

The poll, as it stands right now at ~100 votes, is hardly indicative of anything. The sample pool is just too small. I highly doubt that Firaxis would see a 15% sales loss just because the Hebrews/Israel/Judea was included. If so, that's pretty petty of 15% of people to ignore 8 other civs and several new systems just because of one unfathomably controversial civ.

But it happens, and therefore they shouldn't include it. Maybe as separate DLC.

I'm also extremely petty.

Well if you don't want Israel don't buy it. Why would adding it lose Firaxis money? Every civilization that ever was has some controversey over it. That does not mean any one of them should not have a chance to be included.

I want to post more on this but probably would get banned so nvm.....

Like I said in another thread "I do think it should be in a DLC like Babylon or Inca was. This way people who want Israel or the Hebrews can have it while the people who don't can still get the BNW updates. Everyone wins."

Not really. Given 15% of the people said they wouldn't buy based on inclusion, there goes 15% of the sales.

I tend to think its a bit of an exaggeration. There was a similar poll about the Zulu for Gods and Kings. About 20% said they wouldn't buy GK if the Zulu were included because they weren't really a "civ"

But it just shows exactly how "against" some of these people may be

Anyone who would refuse to buy the expansion because of the inclusion of a single civilization is... a very silly person, at best.

My thoughts exactly. The 15 people who voted no, given the forum we're on, are either trolls or lying or (most likely) both. We're all going to buy the expansion.

I still don't get the "controversy" surrounding Israel. The nation has de facto existed since the end of World War 2 and Israeli culture in the area certainly has an undeniably long history. That's like us denying China existed...which even Richard Nixon thought was silly.

So how many Israeilis think of themselves as Palestinians rather than Israeli?

;)

Two sides to this coin...

Plenty probably consider themselves Palestinian in Israel.

But that's not the point of this thread, if you want to continue a political discussion, please do it in Off-Topic. There are plenty of great people to talk to about this kind of thing there :)

Ancient Israel i'm fine with, modern Israel it starts getting uncomfortable.

I know a fair bit about the Arab-Israeli conflict. I don't know so much about other issues like Karelia. What i do know is it is a little different to a run of the mill border conflict.

I don't imagine many people would be over the moon about have a pre-1990s themed South Africa in the xpac, and there would have been literally 0% chance of this in the pre-1990's. Without getting into politics, Israel is in a similar boat in my eyes.

I wouldn't be greatly comfortable with a modern representation of Israel in my gaming in the same manner a lot of athletes weren't happy playing against a pre-1990's South African sports team.

I feel like American today. I think I'm gonna go complain about how Europeans call soccer football.

lol - you should google the origin of the term soccer - it's actually surprising with all the complaining Europeans do about it and about Americans using the term :]

Anyway I regress - suffice to say I am also surprised anyone would claim to ban the whole thing for such a small facet of it. I mean all the other features sounds awesome to me! :)

The Karelian Isthmus was subject to all kinds of atrocities from vying communist factions, WWII, cuts in supplies during various famines, etc.

So let me put a hypothetical civ here:

Leader: David

UU: Maccabees
UB: Synagogue
UA: Spies take half the time to influence city states and steal technology. Once you reach the Modern Era - Faith may be converted to tourism.

Something like that wouldn't be offensive truly.

And there are people still alive today who had to live under Stalin's reign or under Mao's reign. And some weren't happy with that either, but didn't prevent either from being added

Something like that? But thank you for explaining why you voted no at least candyman!

The obvious choice, in my opinion, is to go with the ancient incarnation of Israel. That's where most of the flavor is anyway.

The difference is that the people who did live under Stalin's or Mao's reign are probably near dead or aren't into video games in the first place, as opposed to Israel, which is happening kinda right now.

I voted yes and i agree with most people here.
Outside of nazi germany - and a few other choice stains on the underwear of humanity - i would buy just about any expansion/addition to this game i love.

However and very seriously...as a jewish guy, I'm slightly bothered by the fact that there is no recognition of jews as a culture or civilization outside of the religion (and a whole lot of 'great people') and I am still not quite 100% sure why.
It doesn't have to be modern Israel, fine i get it - but c'mon now.

And no - you can't call the jewish civ 'palestine', that's all kinds of stupid for a whole host of linguistic and historical reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom