I have BNW, friends have Vanilla, can we still LAN?

Oddible

signal / noise > 1
I have the Steam version of BNW, Civ V seems to work differently than prior Civs in that there is only a single executable in my Steam apps directory (prior Civs had different exe's for each expansion). Do I have to turn off my expansions somehow or should this just work? Or will it not work at all?

Yes it will work, but you will have to play just vanilla, all your BNW civ's etc will not be available to you.

CS

I believe if you go into the DLC tab on the main menu, you can uncheck GK and BNW and it will turn it into vanilla.

You don't have to uncheck anything. It just creates the game without any content some player misses.
It's actually pretty well done.

Really? I just finished playing my first Civ V LAN and noticed several things.

1) I can select which DLC I want to host. I just made sure I only selected what other people had. Are you saying that if I had selected DLC they didn't have that none of us would have been able to play with it? Or that I would have been able to play as Venice while they would not? I suspect the former.

2) I ran into several connection issues via LAN. 3 of us were playing and 2 of us had significant issues seeing each other in lobby (kept showing up as Player 1 not our names, wouldn't register as Ready) no matter who hosted. This with all firewalls, anti-virus and malware scanners disabled. All unique Steam names. We ended up just playing an invite-only internet game and it worked fine.

Top Bottom