Deity - science probs

Doesn't anyone have a great LP or a guide for 'idiots' on how to beat a deity science victory in BNW. Preferably against warmongers+pangea. It's so hard to balance army vs tech/growth.
Immortal = piece a cake btw.

MadDjinn finished his Poland science LP in BNW a month or so ago:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIn-J5vZXOJN18xMsErdydKHmXPg7WT9e

It's more of a liberty opener game. There is good army building and some warring, but definitely aiming for tech victory from the get-go.

So the trick is probably:
- know what to tech
- strong build order early game
- 3-4 cities = a big plus
- good diplomatic skills
- no nearby warmongers
- large populaton, lots of farms
- lots of gold (you need it to prevent war and to prevent other nations from winning the game before you)
- luck

It's possible to win with a warmonger next to you; you just have to be willing to go to war. Hear me out.

I just finished an Immortal science game as America. It was continents, and I was sandwiched between France to my west, Assyria to my east and Austria to my north (ocean was south). France had no other neighbor and sent his trade routes away from me. He was also bright red for coveting my lands. The others also coveted, but were dark red and had difficult terrain between us.

So I built two archers early and Dow'd France around T45. I also forward settled on him. I took a worker, and he sent his whole "army" after me, which was 3 warriors and an archer. I killed them and started harassing Paris. I pillaged his farms, took a settler and took another worker.

He never recovered, and I never made peace. I got NC around T90 (a little slow for a science game I guess) and I slowly built up reinforcements around Paris. I went in for the kill with 5 comps, a spear and 3 catapults. Lost all 3 cats, but took Paris as my 4th city.

You might not cap the civ on Diety like I did on Immortal, but harassment can cripple an opponent who you know hates you anyway.

Oh, and Assyria DoW'd me too with a huge army about 3 turns after I got Paris. I killed his army and got a 750:c5gold: peace deal. Austria put a bunch of units on my border shortly after that, but I used some of Assyria's money to get Germany to DoW her.

kamikazees, the OP mentioned that Immortal was a "piece of cake." Not to be a jerk, but Immortal is dramatically easier than Deity. I win 100% of my Immortal games and like 50% of my Deity games, and that's AFTER accounting for the fact that I'll re-roll for a great start on Deity and never do on Immortal. When Shaka or Attila come after you early on Deity, you're not bringing the fight to them, you're trying to survive.

@jbos
thx for the link. The guy does however have a really bad early game imo. 3 cities with hardly any growth, liberty opening (and still somewhat slow expansions) and late NC. But he uses caravans to make up for his missing science. Then he expands to 5 cities.

@kamikazees
Building 2 early archers will dramatically slow your early game. Also, enemy cities are very tough on Deity. Also, I'm not sure if you really want to take Paris. Everyone else may see you as a warmonger and you may get attacked by other civs and DOF's will be harder to get and RA's might be more expensive as well.

And I agree with Keirador, Immortal can not really be compared to deity. I also win every immortal game with ease, but only like 15% of my deity games.

Top Bottom