Age of Heroes: A Late Bronze Age Scenario

Big Bopper

Warlord

THE AGE OF HEROES
1520-1175 BC
Over 50 years ago the Hittite King sacked the city of Babylon, bringing an end to Hammurabi's Kingdom. Since then, however, the Hittites have plunged into decades of civil disorder and are surrounded by new enemies ready to attack. A different story is being told in the south, as the Egyptians have finally ended the embarrassing occupation of the Hyksos. The Pharaoh is intending to bring forth a New Egyptian Kingdom, more powerful than any previous dynasty. In Upper Mesopotamia the Mitanni has taken advantage of the power vacuum left in the wake of Mursili's campaign. The Mitanni territory is wealthy and strategic, lying between the interest of both the Egyptians and Hittites. Smaller powers are scattered throughout the ancient world waiting for the time to strike and achieve their own victory. Which one of these powers will be victorious in the 'Age of Heroes'?

GAME FEATURES
Based in the Late Bronze Age
26 playable civs (all have a unique unit)
Multiple paths to victory (including economic and religious victories)
Flavored unit lines
20 New Wonders
3 Era Tech Tree

Known Issues...
Spoiler :
-right clicking on 'camel' resource in trade adviser or city screen will cause a crash
-hyper-link notification when viewing 'copper' resource in civilopedia

Screen Shots...
Spoiler :

Technology Tree...
Spoiler :

Download: Age of Heroes v1.5
BIQs: View attachment Age of Heroes BIQs.rar (Updated 8-4-12)
Patch: View attachment Age of Heroes - Update.rar (Updated 8-1-12; not required w/download)
Patch: View attachment PediaIcons.txt (Updated 8-18-12; required)

Attachments

• Tech Tree 1.jpg
    Tech Tree 1.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 4,104
  • Tech Tree 2.jpg
    Tech Tree 2.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 3,931
  • Tech Tree 3.jpg
    Tech Tree 3.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 3,926
  • Boeotia.jpg
    Boeotia.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 4,396
  • Civ Picker.jpg
    Civ Picker.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 3,997
  • Minoan Warship.jpg
    Minoan Warship.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 4,037
This looks like a pretty fun, well put together scenario. I shall have to try it out when I get time.

"you know what I like" "chantilly lace and a pretty face" and C3C. Looks like a lot of work put into it.

im currently finishing up my masters thesis about early state formation in egypt and china. but when im done (tomorrow, god willing) ill give this a run through to see how nicely its turned out!

This has been quite a bit of fun.... I'm playing Egypt...
Found a file error:
Age of Heroes/Art/Civilopedia/Icons/Buildings/... no file for Olive_Press_Small.pcx

I fixed it by duplicating file 'Olive_Oil_Merchant_Small.pcx and just changed the name, it kept the game going fine

No other issues so far.... this is a lot of fun, I'm looking forward to playing some other Civs and getting some feedback from King Cotrane as well...

I'm not sure though, I can see Settlers but haven't been able to build any yet, is there a Tech I need to research? The Civlopedia doesn't explain exactly how I need to get these guys.

Found a file error:Age of Heroes/Art/Civilopedia/Icons/Buildings/... no file for Olive_Press_Small.pcx
added a pediaicon patch to fix the problem. (ongoing games will continue to work)
I'm not sure though, I can see Settlers but haven't been able to build any yet, is there a Tech I need to research? The Civlopedia doesn't explain exactly how I need to get these guys.
Settlers are not part of the scenario; I added the units in case I wanted to use them at some point. I'll put a notice in the civilopedia next time I update the scenario folder.
this is a lot of fun, I'm looking forward to playing some other Civs
Glad you like the scenario; I also added an updated biq that fixes some minor errors, changes to cities, and made use of the LM Desert.

This looks like an interesting one to play, and maybe play around with a bit.

"you know what I like" "chantilly lace and a pretty face" and C3C. Looks like a lot of work put into it.

VMXA, I know that you are old enough to know what "chantilly lace" means, as am I. Wonder how many others on the forums understand that. Ditto for "the day the music died" from American Pie.

Is the minor update critical, or just nice to have, as I just downloaded everything?

Sure did, with Shamu as the leader.

The Sealand Dynasty was a line of Kings that broke from the Babylonian Empire and existed from c.1732-1460 BC. They ruled from Sumeria, which was known as the 'Sealand' province to the Babylonians.
More Info...
wikipedia
History Files

It makes sense for the Babylonians to call Sumer the "Sealand Province", as at the time, the head of the Persian Gulf was much further north, and the area around Sumer would have been quite close to the coast.

Big Bopper

Thank you for great work on this scenario. Very nice idea, but realization...

Maybe if you could put several maps - one for example would be not more than 80x80, another 120x120 and two civs are not needed here: Independents and Arabs.

Because of such a big map and 31 civs scenario is almost unplayable although, I repeat, idea and many aspects of realization were great.

athanatoi said:
Maybe if you could put several maps - one for example would be not more than 80x80, another 120x120 and two civs are not needed here: Independents and Arabs.
I could make a smaller version of the map, probably around 120x120, but it would not be ready for at least a couple of months. For now, how about a cropped map of the current version, 130x130 instead of 174x174 (view attachment), which can be finished quicker, maybe a week or two. The areas that would be cropped out would include Greece, Nubia, and part Iran. This will bring down the number of civs to 24/25, with Boeotia, Crete, Mycenae, Pelasgia, Meshwesh, Nubia and Dorians to be cut out. Remaining Cretan/Pelasgian cities would either become part of the Sea Peoples or form a new civ, 'Ahhiyawa'.
Because of such a big map and 31 civs scenario is almost unplayable although, I repeat, idea and many aspects of realization were great.
If you see any other flaws in the scenario, let me know, and I'll see what I can do.

Made a few changes to the scenario
Spoiler :
1. Royal residence has been renamed vassal; replacing the individual vassals
-can only be built in enemy capitals; provides corruption benefits and a tribute unit
2. Temple of Karnak provides a shrine in every city on continent instead of double science output and 2 free advances
3. Uluburun auto produces 'Cargo Ship' instead of Tribute
4. Colossi of Memnon auto produces 'Medjay' instead of a barracks in every city
5. added papyrus as a bonus resource
6. replaced missing civilopedia icons
7. redone unit stats for all units
8. reworked the naval lines
9. used larger versions of Bebro's chariots
10. added a cropped map of the scenario
11. armies carry only one unit with five extra hit points
12. added stealth units
13. more diversity in cultural unit stats
14. several more misc. changes