Is consulates broken? (as in not working?)

Saintkat

Chieftain
I wanted to try the perma-friendly consulate strat where you pledge to protect every CS. So I just chose consulates and all CSs still retained whatever status they had as soon as I took the policy. CSs that were at 0, were still at 0, CS that were negative were still negative, etc.

Then pledging to protect did nothing to move their status at all. Am I playing this wrong or is it now broken?

It takes time for CS you already know to slowly increase the relations with you to 30

It raises their resting point, but it still takes time for the influence to get there.

More specifically, if you are below the resting point influence over the city-state will be raised by 1 point every turn until you reach it.

ohhhhh....

so pledging to protect raises your influence 10 points over 10 turns? (I was never sure what pledging to protect ever did... discourage attacks from other civs??)

if so, how long does the protection pledge last, I've never paid attention.

Pledge to Protect lasts until you revoke it. This can be done through the city-state screen or by telling a civ that bullied the city-state that you won't let the action divide your nations. You also lose influence for this (20 I think?). It's basically never worth doing because the diplo hit is tiny and civs won't care unless they already hate you.

Pledge to protect will also raise a city-state's resilience against tribute. Also, combined with consulates, it'll make you insta-friends with all the city states you pledge to protect. Caveat being that other civs might dislike you for it. But it makes befriending/allying CS easier, so it's strategically viable to pledge to protect CS you actually intend to be friendly with.

ohhhhh....

so pledging to protect raises your influence 10 points over 10 turns? (I was never sure what pledging to protect ever did... discourage attacks from other civs??)

if so, how long does the protection pledge last, I've never paid attention.

1. No, the rate of influence stays the same, but the resting point (the minimum, or the "zero", is now at 10 with Pledge of Protect, 20, with Consulates, 15 with Papal Primacy Belief, and if you happen to have ALL of them it is 45). Attacking city states to often pernamently decreases your resting point, not sure how, I rarely attack City States.

2. Pledge of Protect does not expire, but you can manually take your protection back at no cost (Except the decreased resting point as you've lost it now that the 10 Pledge of Protect Resting Point is gone)

3. Pledge of Protect is useful when you want pernament friends bonus if you adopted Consulates and Pledged to Protect, but often the AI will bully the city states and will walk up to you asking you do you prefer to keep the friendship intact, or do you prefer to say no, we value City States more which incurs a small diplo hit.

3. Pledge of Protect is useful when you want pernament friends bonus if you adopted Consulates and Pledged to Protect, but often the AI will bully the city states and will walk up to you asking you do you prefer to keep the friendship intact, or do you prefer to say no, we value City States more which incurs a small diplo hit.

Some players argue that choosing to not keep relation intact(and not losing points) doesn't change anything in regard of diplo hit. This part might be broken.

If you select to Continue on Protecting City States, the civ in question will upset that you chose a city state over them, it's dark red meaning it isn't big of a modifier.

If you select to Betray the City State in question no modifier appears, but you can't Pledge to Protect the city for X of turns.

I'm playing a game as Byzantium and When I took Consulates as a social policy it worked.
But after a while I noticed some of the city states were resting at 5 (I pledged to protect) so I monitored the standing and no change were made for several turns.
Should'nt consulates+protect give a resting point of 25?
I also checked the other city states and they're all the same.
It's as if I did'nt have consulates as a social policy even thou I clearly have picked it.
Is there something in the game that cancels out the consulates effect?
Am I missing something here?

Check the tooltip for City States, they mention that the influence will increase overtime until it reaches 25.

If it says 5 then Consulates clearly isn't kicking in.

Did you DOW 2 CSs at some point? Consulates will increase your influence resting pont by 20 points. If your resting point otherwise is 0 (or 5 with Pledge to Protect), that should translate to 20 (or 25) resting point. But if you DOWed 2 or more CSs, that will ding your resting point by -20 with other CSs (at least those that know of your infamous act), with the result that Consulates will just get you back to 0 (or 5 with Pledge).

That must be it, I did not know of this!
I assume DOW means declaring of war or something like that?
I declared war on a couple of them.
And I just also noticed that another city state I recently discovered is sitting at 20 so it's not broken after all!
How long will this penalty of -20 last?
Thanks for the reply! :)

Didn't they tweak it in the last patch that DoP and Consulates no longer makes you friends? I know before the last patch both would make you friends with all CS and was extremely overpowered.
I rarely mess with CS other than to dow the first one I meet.

Yes they did, pledge to protect gives 5
and consulates give 20 for a total of 25.
You need 30 to become friends and 60 for allies.

Top Bottom