The things I HATE about CIV 5. Why I might boycott CiV 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diesel47

Chieftain
I love the gameplay of Civ5, it would be the perfect game for me. But as there can never be honest game developers anymore, it seems like they've gotten to this game aswell.

I'm going to make a list of all the things that infuriate me (and probably others too).

1. DLCs - I hope I don't have to explain why DLCs are complete crap? Expansion packs I can live with... But G&K wasn't an expansion pack... You were just paying for something we had in Civ 4 anyways, just another way to milk you dry. DLCs are just there to make a quick buck. I've avoided games that have this kind of business model, but it seems to be every game now (besides indie). Pay 5 bucks JUST to play babylon? Screw that. Pay more to have my maps be more randomized? Wow really? And guess what, if I want to use babylon in multiplayer... I have to convince my friends to also buy it... just so I can use it against them. Thanks 2k.

2. Multiplayer, or lack of - The multiplayer of Civ 5 is broken, with no hope for a fix. They've officially announced that "Civ Vs development is complete". So this is the best it is going to get.
In its current state, the multiplayer is like something out of an actual beta test. There a million bugs and the gameplay is laggy. MANY key features are missing, and there is no dedicated server support (Sorry, pitboss doesn't cut it). Only the love of the game and desire to play with friends can force me to play multiplayer, because the whole thing is just embarrassingly bad for an AAA game title.

3. Optimization - Just because Civ 5 is a turn based game... doesn't mean you can get away with optimizing. Load screens in the middle of games.. Major lag between turns when there are more units in the late game.. This stuff should not be present in a complete high budget game from a well known studio like 2k/firaxis. Especially when you charge so much for it. The game can run much better than its current state, anybody who disagrees has to be a fanboy or delusional.

4. AI - The AI is stupid, and does dumb things. Sometimes I think the barbarians have better war tactics than the actually AI Civs. After a few games, you learn to be able to predict everything the AI is going to do... Diplomacy is kinda pointless outside of trading... For example: I know that Rome will always try to backstab me... EVERY SINGLE GAME. Did you guys run out of time or something with a rushed release date? Why is it still so dumbed down in 2014? It is sad.

The only reason they can get away with this is because the playerbase will let them.

10 years ago, if a game company tried to bone its customers this badly... It would go out of business. Now its the norm. What the hell happened?

Basically these things are just complete game ruiners for me, I don't want Civ to become like one of those other franchises that dumb the game down, sell you a bad product, and try to make you buy extra things at every opportunity.

If I see CIV 6 going down the same path as CIV 5 I will boycott it. I suggest that anybody else who cares about this franchise, and doesn't want it to be ruined like it has been to do the same.

Let them know we won't mindlessly accept a POS game.

EA activision Ubisoft Bethesda and i hope CDPR wont end up like that too.

Games nowdays are like this. I blame casuals and consoles and DLCs

On the one hand, you have some valid complaints.

On the other hand, paying 50 or 75 bucks (with those DLCs) for 1000+ hours of entertainment is a pretty good cost-to-hour ratio, eh?

Moderator Action: Please see our noticeboard. Threads that don't amount to anything more than a rant aren't allowed. The OP here is purely a list, not looking for any sort of discussion. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom