Managing defensive pacts

Gregorovitch

Chieftain
Got into a situation were I'm having to replay the same 10 turns endlessly 'cos of all sorts of things happening I didn't quite understand enough - this time it's about defensive pacts. Situation is I've got Arabia and Denmark who want to declare war on me but won't against my defensive pacts with my friends India and Poland. All of us are top six score wise, Arabia about 60 ahead of me.

Now Both India & Poland declared war on France about four or five turns ago. I did not notice any "Call to Arms" mechanic operating and I'm not sure what I was supposed to do here:

1. Does a declaration of war by civ you have defensive pact with imply you should also declare war?

I have noticed the rule is defensive pacts are automatically annulled if either party declares war on someone else. This must be what happened. Going back to last auto-save I see I can renew both defensive pacts which are accepted. But in this case Arabia and Denmark declare war immediately and it seems the pacts don't kick in.

2. If you negotiate a defensive pact during your turn can a civ declare war with impunity from this pact during turn end because it does not actually come into effect until next turn?

3. Does this rule whereby defensive pacts are annulled if the other party declares war means that your enemies effectively have a one turn window to jump in with a war declaration against you (without defensive pact kicking in) which you cannot do anything about?

Top Bottom