Anybody Else Worried About Purchasing Civ5 On Release?

Are You Going to Wait to Purchase Civilization 5?

• I already pre-ordered it.

Votes: 49 20.9%
  • I am going to buy it as soon as it comes out.

Votes: 62 26.4%
  • I am going to wait a little after it comes out to gather information.

Votes: 55 23.4%
  • I am going to wait until an expansion or DLC combo package comes out to buy it.

Votes: 24 10.2%
  • I am not going to purchase Civilization 5.

Votes: 16 6.8%
  • I am not yet sure if I will be purchasing Civilization 5.

Votes: 29 12.3%

• Total voters
Ah! That makes sense.

I just checked, and at least in the current build you can have up to 22 other civs (23 including yourself.) This is not necessarily the final number as I'm looking at a beta version of the game so don't depend on it and don't yell at me if it changes! ;) I'm not sure if this number can be easily raised in lua or if it would require a source code modification to change; I'll look in to that.

Oh, and that number does not include city-states. You can have a ton of city-states (there are typically more city-states than civs.)

Ok, thanks, Greg. :)

Oh, and that number does not include city-states. You can have a ton of city-states (there are typically more city-states than civs.)

More city-states than civs? So a map with 18 civs on it usually has more then 18 city-states?

That sounds like a barrel of monkeys! :lol:

To those how say they will wait 3 years for everything in it for normal price, huh??? Are you that cheap that instead of playing a game for 3 years at say $100, you will wait 3 years to pay $50 if it happens at all?

So what you are saying is playing a game for 3 years at $100 is not cost effective? I just don't get it.

Why is owning the DLC that important for you anyway? The basic game not good enough for you?

Oh well, to each their own I guess. I just find it funny people are paying about $50 a month anyway for high speed internet a month, so that means they have more fun chatting on civfanatics for 3 years than pay for Civ V and DLC. DLC is optional. You do not need to get it, you can still have fun playing Civ V without DLC.

I guess chatting on civfanatics is more fun for some people I guess.

To those how say they will wait 3 years for everything in it for normal price, huh??? Are you that cheap that instead of playing a game for 3 years at say $100, you will wait 3 years to pay $50 if it happens at all?

No offense, but haven't you considered the possibility of some of the users here aren't well paid company managers who can spend $100 whenever it pleases them?

In all likelihood, the decision to include the "first premium DLC" with D2D's options was probably made by D2D, not 2k. So it is no surprise that 2k Greg doesn't have specifics.

I am troubled by the avarice displayed in these "special content" deals, but I have no worries about the quality of the core game and plan to purchase the standard version from a local retailer on release day. However, the bizarre array of mutually exclusive nickel-and-dime deluxe options have definitely put me off buying anything but the basic version. I'm the sort that usually buys collector's editions for games I really like, but there is no way in hell I'm going to spend $100 on a collector's edition and then be asked to spend more on additional day-zero content.

I am troubled by the avarice displayed in these "special content" deals, but I have no worries about the quality of the core game and plan to purchase the standard version from a local retailer on release day. However, the bizarre array of mutually exclusive nickel-and-dime deluxe options have definitely put me off buying anything but the basic version. I'm the sort that usually buys collector's editions for games I really like, but there is no way in hell I'm going to spend $100 on a collector's edition and then be asked to spend more on additional day-zero content.

I don't usually buy collectors or deluxe editions of games, but I was actually going to buy one for Civilization 5. That is, until all of this nonsense happened. The standard edition looks just great the way it is in my eyes.

In all likelihood, the decision to include the "first premium DLC" with D2D's options was probably made by D2D, not 2k. So it is no surprise that 2k Greg doesn't have specifics.

This is just about the only hope that CiV fans have of not getting ripped off: that the retailers fit amongst themselves and lower the cost of the product toa reasonable level. $10 for a single civ and a map? :lol: more like $2, then almost everyone will buy that, just have to skip the morning latte to afford it. that'd be another cool ten million.

Ah! That makes sense.

I just checked, and at least in the current build you can have up to 22 other civs (23 including yourself.) This is not necessarily the final number as I'm looking at a beta version of the game so don't depend on it and don't yell at me if it changes! ;) I'm not sure if this number can be easily raised in lua or if it would require a source code modification to change; I'll look in to that.

Greg, allow me to come back to that quote, since it may not be too late to give some input.

I always found it to be a major annoyance that in Civ4 you had to manually deselect slot by slot if you wanted to play with less civilizations. You would have to scroll through the whole list starting with the first slot you wanted to deselect and then had to move all the way down, deselection one slot after the other (yes, I know you could reduce the slots by maintaining the xml files, but at the moment I am talking about limiting the number for just one game and still keeping the same map size).

Under the assumption that the selection screen might work in a similiar way, it would be preferrable that deselectiong slot#10 would lead to automatically deselect any follow-on slot, too (so, by doing so you would have deselected slots #11, #12, #13....)

Or, if this would conflict with some special map settings, then have an additional option "deselect all from here"

I have no doubt that the game will be great, and I use steam anyway. DLC has come to stay, and I honestly dont see a problem with it. It works just like everything else; buy a car, and you get to upgrade it - even movies have accessories. You all get the same product, but you can tailor it to your needs.

The only problem I have, is that Firaxis sucked at patching civ4.

I have no doubt that the game will be great, and I use steam anyway. DLC has come to stay, and I honestly dont see a problem with it. It works just like everything else; buy a car, and you get to upgrade it - even movies have accessories. You all get the same product, but you can tailor it to your needs.

The only problem I have, is that Firaxis sucked at patching civ4.

Except DLC payments end up being far more expensive than games were in the past. You can expect loads of DLC AND expansions that will cost the same price as they used to.

I love Steam, I just hate 0-day DLC and just overpriced DLC in general. It's true you tailor the product to your needs, but these are features and downloads we used to get for free or they used to be part of the expansions.

The game is coming out at a time when I'll be busy anyway, so I'll probably wait until the first $10 price drop and the first round of patches are out. For a Civ game, I normally wouldn't care about the price difference, but that's just how my schedule works out.

For those worried about price, have you compared the value of a Civ game to any of the other entertainment products you buy? I'd assume that most of the people on this board get a relatively huge number of hours of game play out of Civ. I wouldn't be surprised if I have hundreds of hours of Civ IV logged. Even if you pay full price for it, Civ V will still be very cheap per hour compared to a lot of other entertainment.

Furthermore, with the liklihood of hyper inflation depending on where you live, waiting 3 years may make the game cost more than buying it now.

Top Bottom