Ever get an RSI from playing Civ?

Prozac1964

Warlord
Just wondering if anyone ever got a Repetitive Stress Injury from playing too much Civ? I've been playing Civ 5 for just a few months about 2 to 4 hours a day and my upper arm is hurting. :eek:

Anyone else got this? :(

Just wondering if anyone ever got a Repetitive Stress Injury from playing too much Civ? I've been playing Civ 5 for just a few months about 2 to 4 hours a day and my upper arm is hurting. :eek:

Anyone else got this? :(

You should:

1) make a trip to the doctor: you may have a calcification on some joints that may be causing this.

2) google some info on ergonometrics: the problem you are having may have strong causes in improper body posture when playing.

Civ is a very lightweight game: there is no click fest, no intense typing, so, with proper ergonometrics you shouldn't be suffering from these...

You should:

1) make a trip to the doctor: you may have a calcification on some joints that may be causing this.

2) google some info on ergonometrics: the problem you are having may have strong causes in improper body posture when playing.

Civ is a very lightweight game: there is no click fest, no intense typing, so, with proper ergonometrics you shouldn't be suffering from these...

Thanks, and I agree. I don't think it's a posture problem though. I've been gaming for 10 years and my whole setup is based on good ergonomics. It may be the calcification though. Yes, Civ is a very lightweight game, but if you right click and drag to see movement options, and click and drag your map around, those put a lot of stress on your hand and arm....even in lightweight Civ.:)

Arm is likely to be mouse arm, if it feels like you are fighting the mouse, you might need a new one. (But mouse issues are normally lower arm just above the wrist instead of upper.)
Other than that better arm & mouse placement and take breaks every hour, but it does occur to me that things like a joystick, trackball, game controller, etc would all be better than a mouse in this regard, but these other devices might just relocate RSI issues to your fingers, thumbs and hand just below the wrist.

Arm is likely to be mouse arm, if it feels like you are fighting the mouse, you might need a new one. (But mouse issues are normally lower arm just above the wrist instead of upper.)
Other than that better arm & mouse placement and take breaks every hour, but it does occur to me that things like a joystick, trackball, game controller, etc would all be better than a mouse in this regard, but these other devices might just relocate RSI issues to your fingers, thumbs and hand just below the wrist.

Thanks for your input. Yep the pain is toward the outside of the upper arm, right in the middle just where the bicep meets the tricep. And it is on my mouse arm. I'm thinking of getting a trackball, and logitech has some nice ones. But like you said, it could just relocate the RSI. Grrrrr lol :crazyeye:

I can't help it - I'm picturing the lawsuit. "Firaxis screwed up my hand because their game is just too good!"

I am ashamed to admit I had to adjust my mouse because my wrist began to hurt, all due to civ. I just put a support under my arm and it's okay again.

If my girlfriend constantly slaps me for dating the game instead of her, does that count as a RSI?

I can't help it - I'm picturing the lawsuit. "Firaxis screwed up my hand because their game is just too good!"

I am ashamed to admit I had to adjust my mouse because my wrist began to hurt, all due to civ. I just put a support under my arm and it's okay again.

LOL thanks for coming forward and confessing! By support do you mean a folded up towel under your forearm or something like that?

If my girlfriend constantly slaps me for dating the game instead of her, does that count as a RSI?

ROFL :lol: I think it does count!

Yeah, I actually just pulled out my desk drawer and threw a towel on top. *Whew!* I was worried that it was going to cut into my playing time...

Ive had sore backs and necks.. I used to use civilization on laptop and laying down while in bed.

After playing for 5+ hours at once, it really gets painful when I have to trade the AI 14 horses, one by one....

Yeah, I actually just pulled out my desk drawer and threw a towel on top. *Whew!* I was worried that it was going to cut into my playing time...

LOL

Ive had sore backs and necks.. I used to use civilization on laptop and laying down while in bed.

LOL

After playing for 5+ hours at once, it really gets painful when I have to trade the AI 14 horses, one by one....

And LOL

I guess we're just too hard core. :D

*Holds hand up*

I used to get this until I sorted out my chair. It's the right height and has arm rests to take the weight off arm and wrist.

I'm ashamed to admit that yes it happened to me a few times. I got nerve pain either on my arm or my hand, I can't quite understand the precise conditions because it happened occasionally and nothing happened when I played continuously for the same amount of time in other cases.

It must be a posture issue like it has been said above, I guess one must be very careful on how he is holding the mouse when he plans to play for a long time.

I got beaten up several times for being too big a gamer dork, which caused me great personal anguish. Does this qualify as a repetitive stress injury?

Some funny posts here. :lol:

Seriously, though, it's strange to have the pain in your upper arm. Perhaps if you get a chair with an armrest it would relieve the stress. Also, it helps to have the mouse and pad on a lower surface near your lap than up high on top of a desk (in my opinion). Also, it helps to have a good mouse which you can raise the sensitivity of so that you don't have to move your arm so much. Though, I guess it also depends on your grip style... of the mouse, you dirty-minded people!

I use a fingertip style and my arm never moves; I just flick the mouse around lightly with my fingers to zip the cursor all over my screen while my elbow is resting on the armrest (great for RTS, not so much FPS -- but I hate FPS games anyway, hah).

This is the desk I use, with a very large keyboard/mouse platform to pull out near your lap: http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/61/4b/f8/614bf8687a7b61ace279c1dbf4910f29.jpg

It's awesome and for many years, it's been the only type of desk I'll ever use.

This is the older model I had back when CRT's where used: http://www.z-lineracing.com/upload/products/65_1_large.jpg

Back when I was going to upgrade to a wide flat screen, I was freaking out because it didn't have enough room on top and I didn't want to remove the top platforms since it would look hideous. I really didn't want another type of desk. Thankfully, I found the newer model above, which not only looked nicer, but had all kinds of little improvements throughout it.

I use to suffer from RSI a long time ago, but it was in my pointer finger on my mouse hand (from all the gaming plus working in AutoCAD the rest of the day -- lots of clicks). I obsessed over fixing it and did some research and made adjustments to my posture and equipment. It also turned out I was using the wrong type of mouse for my grip style (too big) and the sensitivity I was used to was too low, causing me to extend my fingers out too far and too much, since I anchor my wrist to the pad.

Also, another thing I did, initially, was switch mouse hands for a period of time (I always get ambidextrous mice, just in case I ever need to rest my hand again). It was at least doable with AutoCAD, so I could rest it during the day, but impossible with any real time games that require reflexes. But, with a turn-based game like Civ, it shouldn't be a problem to switch hands (if you're able to) to rest your arm.

Some funny posts here. :lol:

Seriously, though, it's strange to have the pain in your upper arm. Perhaps if you get a chair with an armrest it would relieve the stress. Also, it helps to have the mouse and pad on a lower surface near your lap than up high on top of a desk (in my opinion). Also, it helps to have a good mouse which you can raise the sensitivity of so that you don't have to move your arm so much. Though, I guess it also depends on your grip style... of the mouse, you dirty-minded people!

I use a fingertip style and my arm never moves; I just flick the mouse around lightly with my fingers to zip the cursor all over my screen while my elbow is resting on the armrest (great for RTS, not so much FPS -- but I hate FPS games anyway, hah).

This is the desk I use, with a very large keyboard/mouse platform to pull out near your lap: http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/61/4b/f8/614bf8687a7b61ace279c1dbf4910f29.jpg

It's awesome and for many years, it's been the only type of desk I'll ever use.

This is the older model I had back when CRT's where used: http://www.z-lineracing.com/upload/products/65_1_large.jpg

Back when I was going to upgrade to a wide flat screen, I was freaking out because it didn't have enough room on top and I didn't want to remove the top platforms since it would look hideous. I really didn't want another type of desk. Thankfully, I found the newer model above, which not only looked nicer, but had all kinds of little improvements throughout it.

I use to suffer from RSI a long time ago, but it was in my pointer finger on my mouse hand (from all the gaming plus working in AutoCAD the rest of the day -- lots of clicks). I obsessed over fixing it and did some research and made adjustments to my posture and equipment. It also turned out I was using the wrong type of mouse for my grip style (too big) and the sensitivity I was used to was too low, causing me to extend my fingers out too far and too much, since I anchor my wrist to the pad.

Also, another thing I did, initially, was switch mouse hands for a period of time (I always get ambidextrous mice, just in case I ever need to rest my hand again). It was at least doable with AutoCAD, so I could rest it during the day, but impossible with any real time games that require reflexes. But, with a turn-based game like Civ, it shouldn't be a problem to switch hands (if you're able to) to rest your arm.

Nice post, and useful information also. I'm gonna try something like this. I've been using armless chairs for the last 8 years, so I might try one with arms, also like to get a nice forearm pad to try. My mouse is a Logitech G500. At 5700 dpi I would think that would be more than enough....who knows.... Thx

Top Bottom