When to annex vs puppet?

I was reading that razing cities will make you more of a war monger with other Civs. Is there any truth to this (at least as far as making you more of a war monger than annexing or puppeting)?

I was reading that razing cities will make you more of a war monger with other Civs. Is there any truth to this (at least as far as making you more of a war monger than annexing or puppeting)?
That is not directly true, in the sense that you don't get any specific warmonger penalty for razing the city (which is kind of weird, but that's how it is).

However, since razing the city will reduce the overall number of cities on the map, doing it will mean you get more warmonger penalty from subsequent cities you capture, because the warmonger penalty scales with the number of cities in the world (more cities -> less penalty <=> less cities -> more penalty).

In that way, there can be an indirect link between razing cities and warmonger penalty, so technically, it would be advisable to only raze cities after you finish your conquest spree, if happiness allows it.

In my current game, Napoleon settled his 4th city right next to my capitol. I said "uh-uh, fool", kicked his butt and burned Troyes to the ground. Nap offered me a peace treaty, which I took, and I had zippo for a warmonger penalty. A friend thought maybe the AI recognizes a "[tool] move" and doesn't hold it against you if you react. So sometimes it matters and sometimes it don't.

If I remember correctly, if Napoleon has a lot of cities (spam or otherwise), you capturing a few of them won't put much of a dent in your warmonger status. It is when you go for his core cities, that it usually amps up.
In a recent game as America, Japan was city spamming and also conquered a lot of French land and taking Moscow. I was friendly with most of the civs and denounced him, followed by everyone else. Now when I went and took all but 2 of his cities and liberated Moscow, I never had more than a "minor" hit to my warmonger status. This is also due to Carthage, Venice and Byzantium joining in the war with me.

I razed 2 of his little perimeter cities. Kept one to move my B17s closer and kept 4 of his bigger ones as puppets. It was late game, so I never bothered to annex. My war with Germany left me with Berlin and Cologne in an earlier war...those eventually became annexed. I try to annex capitals once they get back on their feet a bit.

If I remember correctly, if Napoleon has a lot of cities (spam or otherwise), you capturing a few of them won't put much of a dent in your warmonger status. It is when you go for his core cities, that it usually amps up.
Technically, game doesn't distinguish between "minor cities" and "core cities". A city is a city and in a given situation, you'll get the same amount of warmonger penalty no matter which of his cities you capture. Capturing the capital will give you a special negative modifier with target, however.

Hmm but if the civ has a lot of cities, when i mouse over his cities i just see "minor warmonger penalty"? But when its down to his last two or three it seems that i get a major warmonger penalty instead.

Hmm but if the civ has a lot of cities, when i mouse over his cities i just see "minor warmonger penalty"? But when its down to his last two or three it seems that i get a major warmonger penalty instead.

because penalty depends on the current number of cities. if your enemy currently has 10 cities, and you take one, you get 1/10*X penalty. Then, when his empire shrinked to 3 ctites, and you take one of them, you get 1/3*X penalty, which is >3 times higher.

Top Bottom