How do national wonders work?

Gormo

Chieftain
Hello. Just started playing Civ V about a month ago.

Once I build a couple national wonders I become hesitant. What exactly happens to the affect my national wonder has as soon as I found additional cities?

If I found a couple new cities what happens to the bonuses these buildings provide? The game mentions that the cost goes up but I'm not even sure what that means since I figured they are bonuses and cost nothing in the first place. Obviously I'm wrong about something.

Also what would happen if for example I already had a National Treasury and College, and was able to afford to buy both a library and a marketplace immediately for the new cities I had founded? Would my national wonders continue to function as if it made no difference whether I had say, 8 or 10 cities?

This game seems a lot more complicated then it's predecessors to me.

Thanks

You dont have to worry about them after you build them. E.G. National college requires a library in every city you own (excluding puppets), and the build cost goes up depending on how many cities you have at the time.

Once you have finished the wonders it's okay. Additional cities don't affect it. Requirement are only important at the moment of construction.

Cost of construction goes up with the number of cities at the moment you try to build the wonder.

Part of the strategy is that you unlock the ability to do national wonders mid-game, but if you're ever going to build them, you want to do it immediately before you expand too much. But the trade off is that in the early and mid-game the time that it takes your city to build anything is precious and should be used wisely.

Hello. Just started playing Civ V about a month ago.

Once I build a couple national wonders I become hesitant. What exactly happens to the affect my national wonder has as soon as I found additional cities?

If I found a couple new cities what happens to the bonuses these buildings provide? The game mentions that the cost goes up but I'm not even sure what that means since I figured they are bonuses and cost nothing in the first place. Obviously I'm wrong about something.

Also what would happen if for example I already had a National Treasury and College, and was able to afford to buy both a library and a marketplace immediately for the new cities I had founded? Would my national wonders continue to function as if it made no difference whether I had say, 8 or 10 cities?

This game seems a lot more complicated then it's predecessors to me.

Thanks

#1 Nothing, it keeps on working. In fact you got a big reduction in completion time by having built it before you added a city.

#2 Nothing for already completed wonders.
If a national wonder is still in process, it will be removed from the queue until the new city has that building. (Progress won't be affected though). In addition, the cost will go up by 30 hammers per city.

# Yup, existing national wonders would still work with 8 to 10 cities. You may however have a very hard time building any additional national wonders in a reasonable timeframe though.

Tall Tradition is in part designed around avoiding the national wonder penalties for large number of cities by only self founding a total of 4 cities. Any additional cities are conquered from the AI, initially puppeted and only annexed both after they come out of resistance and only at times that they wouldn't majorly slow down national wonder construction by requiring yet more copies of buildings.

Thanks very much guys, if I may say I think number 5 is my favorite version.

A lot of changes, but I like how interconnected everything is.

Top Bottom