Really unclear wording keeps screwing things up

mrwho

Prince
So I'm trying to spread my religion in my previous game. My missionaries aren't doing anything so I mouse over the tooltip for an inquisitor and it clearly that it removes rival religions in 'a city'. So I buy it and move it over to a City-State and I can't use it. Why? Because you can only do it in your city despite what the tooltip clearly states. That's 400 faith wasted.

Then just in the game I'm playing now I move some military units into a friendly City-State. You of course can't upgrade outside of friendly territory as the tooltip says that you must upgrade inside friendly territory. So I'm mounting an attack and bypass an allied city-state. I've planned it so I can upgrade my swordsmen to longswordsmen there and as you all other than me probably know, it doesn't let me. It says that I must be in friendly territory, but I am. What it actually means it I must be in MY territory. Big difference.

I know most of you guys probably know these things but they came as a surprise to me. I only just started replaying Civ 5 relatively recently and these misleading or even flat-out wrong tooltips are very annoying. I really hope they address these various wording issues (I'm sure there are more I've forgotten about or haven't discovered yet) in the next patch.

True. Even Civilopedia, the only official reference and online help for Civ V, is horribly wrong or misleading in many things.

Funny, I discovered those two nuances exactly the way you just described when I was starting out.

I swear I remembered being able to upgrade units in friendly civ's borders, but maybe that was Civ IV or my memory is slipping.

Funny, I discovered those two nuances exactly the way you just described when I was starting out.

I swear I remembered being able to upgrade units in friendly civ's borders, but maybe that was Civ IV or my memory is slipping.

I too could swear I did upgrade units within an allied city state's borders. Maybe it was changed in BNW?

Same here on both, though I did notice when mousing over the Inquisitor in the city build list it does correctly state it works only on friendly (read: your) cities.

I could have sworn that upgrades were possible in CS territory, but I just tried a couple hours ago in my current game and no joy. Maybe an allied CS?

Funny enough, for healing ships "friendly" AI civ or city state territory is just fine.

I didn't know that thing about inquisitors; I also thought they could be used on any city (but have only ever used them on my own).

I got tripped up by the upgrading thing too.

The devs should stop using the word "friendly" when they really mean "your".

Another funny thing: the tradition finisher.

Adopting all Policies in the Tradition tree will grant +15% Growth and a free Aqueduct in your first 4 cities. It also allows the purchase of Great Engineers with Faith starting in the Industrial Era.

As far as I know, this should be parsed as follows:
(+15% Growth) and (a free Aqueduct in your first 4 cities)
instead of
(+15 Growth and a free Aqueduct) in your first 4 cities.

Also, I only recently learned that these cities must be settled, not captured or otherwise acquired from others. That too is left unmentioned.

I guess your memory is slipping, upgrades can only happen in your own borders, this was already true in G&K and I don't think it changed in BNW.

Another funny thing: the tradition finisher.

Also, I only recently learned that these cities must be settled, not captured or otherwise acquired from others. That too is left unmentioned.

that's not entirely accurate. if you capture/acquire them before you finish tradition (or adopt legalism), you'll get the free stuff there as well (at least that was true in g&K).

Early in Vanilla you could upgrade in CS territory but that was patched out by the time G&K came around.

Same here on both, though I did notice when mousing over the Inquisitor in the city build list it does correctly state it works only on friendly (read: your) cities./QUOTE]

Direct quote from the mouseover:
"used to remove other religions from cities".

I'm glad I'm not the only one who fell foul of these text issues though.

What it seems like is that the Civilopedia was written by someone who got briefed over some concepts by the developers, but that the developers kept tweaking the game and the Civilopedia didn't always get revised wih it.
And sometimes the wording is indeed ambiguous.
It's not something new. This forum has always been the best guide if you want to know how a game mechanic exactly works, but it's more work finding something here.

Optional, that's right. Also, the updates for BNW are clearly a rush job.

"Hey, intern! Check the pages for culture victory references and mentions of trade routes and update them!"

And then they forgot to update the definition of domination victory, in the manual.

Top Bottom