WWI Mod (Alpha)

TurkishCoffee

Chieftain
This mod currently consists of 2 World War I scenarios and a First Balkan War scenario. It changes existing civilizations to match the countries of Europe in the early 1900s. Each country has its own unique trait and completely unique units. Units are accurate to what arsenal each country had.

Note that this mod is still in alpha and will therefore have problems and inbalances. Any feedback you have to offer is welcome! The mod is attached.

Mod Details

Technologies/Research:
Some scenarios will have research enabled. You receive one science per citizen. Each city you own will increase your tech costs by 150%. To research a tech you must have the prerequisites and another tech from the previous column. Once you research Penicilin and Computers, you can research Future Tech.

Combat:
This mod is meant for use with Fil3 Strategic Combat, which adds 2UPT and removes the negative defense modifier brought about by plains terrain, but any 2UPT mod will work.
Units such as cavalry, infantry, and heavier machine guns don't take much damage, especially from warships. However, lighter machine guns and artillery are extremely fragile. Make sure to stack your fragile units on top of your heavy units to keep them alive, because they are key to taking cities and destroying other units. Units are able to force other units to retreat, but only the one you are attacking, not the whole stack.

Diplomacy:
Currently, the two Europe scenarios have an open diplomacy system. On the first turn (actually the second, but the first one is considered 0), you will be able to pick an ideology. The ideology will define who you side with for the rest of the scenario, so pay attention to who has picked each one.

Winning/Score:
To win you must have the highest score at the end of the scenario. Each city you own provides you with 2 points, and each time you research Future Tech you are rewarded with 2 points. Some cities are special, and will provide you with 7 additional points. To view which cities are special, open the diplomacy overview, then go to the global politics tab. The special cities will be listed in each player's summary.

Current Scenarios

Giant Europe 1910
>Uses the Giant Europe map from YNAEMP
>Starts January, 1910, ends November, 1918 (107 turns)
>Play as any one of the 11 countries with free diplomacy
>Currently the only scenario with the new improvement system

Europe - North Africa 1910
>Uses a map I created
>Starts January, 1910, ends November, 1918 (107 turns)
>Play as any one of the 11 countries with free diplomacy

First Balkan War
>Uses a map I created
>Starts January, 1910, ends May, 1912 (29 turns)
>Play as Serbia, Bulgaria, or Greece, all of which are on a team
>Each civ has access to aircraft unique to the scenario

Known Problems

Problem: Dates are extremely off and/or scenario doesn't start on turn 0.
Fix: Delete the cache and ModUserData folders within \Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5. That should fix it, but if it doesn't, delete the appcache contents in your Steam folder.

Problem: In the city view, some tiles that should be workable don't show yields.
Explanation: This seems to be a problem with Civilization itself, not the mod.

Problem: One civilization has their default leader/default name.
Explanation: Once again, this seems to be an issue with the game itself.

Make sure to clear your cache and try again before posting about a problem you encounter.

Questions and Answers

Question: How come the borders in the 1910 WWI scenarios are post-First Balkan War / post-Italo-Turkish War?
Answer: Since most of the scenario occurs after these events, I put the borders as such. Having 1910 borders would also result in serious disadvantages for Serbia, Bulgaria, Greece, and Italy.

Question: Why are most of the leaders Bismarck?
Answer: Bismarck most resembles the real leaders of the time (except the Ottoman leader).

Planned Features

-More scenarios, including more Europe scenarios that start at both 1910 and 1914, and at least one World scenario, but those are pretty far off.
-Buildings with various purposes.
-Trade routes to yield gold, production, etc.
-Better selection flavors (AI).
-Much more!

Compatibility

This should be compatible with anything that doesn't add units or change the tech tree.

This mod is meant for use with the Fil3 Strategic combat mod, and Quick Turns will help with turns taking a long time.

Screenshots

Giant Europe 1910 (outdated as of a0.4, will eventually replace):
Spoiler :

Mod is attached, I won't upload it to the workshop until it's at least out of alpha.

To install:
1. Unzip file.
2. Put .civ5map files into ...\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\Maps
3. Put WWI folder into ...\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS

Attachments

• a0.4.1.zip
    472.9 KB · Views: 699
Changelog:

Spoiler :
Key:
+Addition
*Change
!Fix
-Removal

Alpha 0.1:
+Initial release of mod.

Alpha 0.2:
+Added new scenario: Europe / North Africa
!Fixed production problems with Austria-Hungary and the Ottomans

Alpha 0.3:
+Added warplanes for each of the 11 countries
+All land units can now use enemy roads
+All melee units now have a chance to force an enemy unit to retreat
+All infantry units now get a bonus against cities
*Austria-Hungary's new trait is a 66% decrease to cavalry maintenance
*Austria-Hungary's third cavalry unit now has a new name and strength of 15 now
*To research a tech, you must now have researched the prerequisites and at least one other tech in the previous column
*Longer scenarios now have increased production cost modifiers
*There are a few minor changes to the Europe / North Africa scenario considering roads
*City States will now default to 0 influence when at war

Alpha 0.4:
+Added resources (of the "bonus" type)
+Completely remade Giant Europe
*Tech cost increase per city now 175
*Great Person spawn rate modifier increased to 10000
*Embarked units are no longer extremely powerful
Alpha 0.4.1:
+Completely remade Europe - North Africa
+Added oil resource to both scenarios
+Serbia receives +1 Production per farm in the two large scenarios
*Changed France and Russia's unique abilities
*Balanced Giant Europe and reduced early AI warmongering
*Fixed some other minor issues
-Tile purchasing is now unusable

I've created a new scenario of that encompasses Europe and the Northern half of Africa. This scenario has a larger focus on colonies that the Giant Europe scenario, but it doesn't devalue Europe. The scenario lasts 7 years and 10 months, allowing for lots of land changing hands!

I've also fixed the problem where Austria-Hungary and the Ottomans couldn't produce in cities. Now all civilizations are functionally playable.

This is update Alpha 0.2. The new .zip is uploaded to the original post.

No, the scenarios have an open diplomacy system (apart from the FBW scenario, which has locked teams). In the beginning of the game you'll get to pick your ideology after the AIs, meaning that you basically get to pick who you want to side with.

I might make events for future 1914 scenarios (since having to wait over 40 turns to go to war is pretty pointless), but I'm pretty far from even thinking of making those.

The mod is now in a0.3!
This update adds warplanes, of which each civilization gets up to 5. There's also some slight changes to combat mechanics and how you research techs. See the second post for the full list of changes.
Update is uploaded to original post. This version will probably not work correctly (or at all) with previous saves, so make sure to finish that game with the old version.

After taking a considerably long break, I've decided to continue development with the mod.

This update, a0.4, has a revamped Giant Earth scenario with better borders, a better improvement system, and accurate population!

However, these changes greatly decrease balance. Currently the only major attempt at balance is with science output, because that is most important. I would be happy to know of any imbalances you find, should they be major or minor, since I don't have much time to play full games with multiple civs. My end goal is for victory to be reasonably achievable for every country (some will obviously be more difficult than others). I already have a couple of changes in mind, and will release a balance patch once the main issues have been fixed.

As always, update is attached to the original post.

I have somehow managed to balance the Giant Europe scenario quite well (obviously all countries are not completely equal), and in the process reduced the early AI warmongering.

Alpha update 0.4.1 also includes a complete remake of the Europe - North Africa scenario, which is also very well balanced and has even less early warmongering.

Since I am quite satisfied with the current scenarios, I can now move on to adding new core gameplay features to the mod. The next update will most likely move the mod into beta.

New version attached to the original post.

Top Bottom