I have some rather good news... re making a Civ3-improved/Civ3-clone version :)

Kyriakos

Creator
Recently i have been creating my own game (horror adventure), with AGS, and i noticed that someone is making effectively a civ2/civ3 clone (which looks very nice, btw).

So maybe people would be interested in that direction, given AGS is entirely FREE to dl, and is an easy engine to use to make a game (which you own entirely).

A pic of the afforementioned civ-clone strategy:

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=51181

All gfx are open to change, and (this is the awesome thing) ALL static gfx can be replaced at any time with Animated ones!

I might try making the engine, but i doubt it, given i barely managed to create my adventure game. Then again making the engine is not that hard. It just is tedious due to size of the map. The in-game scripting is easy, consists of either true/false or special parameters to allow for timers and events.

Oh, and you can just import sprites, including civ3-style flicks :)

I think a take on classic civ could go well. Retro-style games have been making a huge comeback. Partly because many of us are aging and partly because more aren't so interested in all the bells and whistles.

There is (afaik) no scale limit for the map. Moreover the engine is 'room' based, ie each stable screen is a room, and you can have tens of rooms. Eg Call to Power had (i think) earth, underwater and space map/cities. Which would only need three rooms here.
Not sure to what extent every single map (room) can continue to go on, but i suspect it is at least as much as in any civ3 mod.

Well, yes, maybe you could try making a civ6-clone in Unity opensource then :D ;)
I've actually been looking into making a civ 3 type game in Unity, since you can make 3d or 2d games and have them exported to PC, or mobile in the free version.

One of the biggest problems I see though is making an editor. The greatest thing about civ is the ability to edit the rules, graphics, and contents. I don't really see how to make one in Unity on the scale of the Civ3 editor.
But I'm no master programmer. I'm only half way through my CS degree in Java/C#.

Well, the editor can be made -- although it will be outdated, cause new versions of AGS will be released given it is open-source :)

You could make simple code, but in reality (since the ags editor Already is an editor) you only would have to simplify scripting as much as possible. Now if you mean zero scripting civ3 editor-style... yes, that wouldn't be very practical, cause you'd have to make an editor inside the editor, and run it as (part of?) a game :D I think it is doable, but i wouldn't try it.

That said, you can save your game template (a file essentially having turned AGS into your Civ-like game), and make that available, so modders can just alter stuff while keeping anything they want. Iirc that was what they did in civ5, and late civ4 (scripters created stuff not in the actual original, script-wise).

edit: AFAIK you can anyway direct the game to look for each file (eg city graphic, unit, etc) inside its own folders. Most opt to have those inside the .exe, but if you want to make modding easily available you'd do it that way.

I think a take on classic civ could go well. Retro-style games have been making a huge comeback. Partly because many of us are aging and partly because more aren't so interested in all the bells and whistles.

I'm just thinking that maybe it would be possible to create ultimate retro civ game. Basically Civs 1, 2 and 3 are the same game:

• Food/Production/Trade
  • 2D map
  • Units have Attack/Defence value
  • Happines / Civil Disorder model
  • Tax/Science/Luxury slider
  • Farms/mine/roads

The core game is exactly same. The few differences can be made optional features:
  • Borders and culture system
  • Unique units
  • Golden age
  • Stack death
  • Bombardment
  • Strategic resources

Just giving it a thought.

edit:
I would do it with Unity and the core game engine wouldn't care about type of grid, be it square,isometric, hex or spherical. If it was open source, anyone could implement own version of the game.

Top Bottom