How to goad a civ to attack another

Augie

Chieftain
As a new Civ V player, I've been reading some postings. I've seen several that mention a strategy of goading or encouraging one Civ to attack another. I'm playing BNW and I like to go for the Diplomatic victory with a small city. I have a Civ surrounding me with 8 cities (Assyria....must have lots of money). I want to try to keep him busy by tangling him up with a war with someone else.

So, how does one accomplish this? I know I can invite a Civ to go to war, but if he says yes, then I've got to follow thru.

Open for thoughts.

Thanks,

Augie

First, don't be the dick on the planet. If you are the first to declare war 2-3 times everyone will hate you. Let someone else be that person. Then jump in on him too^^

You'll make friends kinda automatically with half of the planet.
Then you can trade with the 1-3 civs with the largest armies and meanest personalities and ask them to declare war on X. They want money. If they hate the guy, probably very little money. If not (and if he's pretty strong too), then probably a lot (like 50 gold per turn).

Just remember someone that hates you will not go to war against your enemy/his friends. And someone who likes you still might not go to war with someone he likes (which you probably wouldn't know).
And also AIs don't go to war against someone witha much larger army than them, even if you offer all your gold/luxuries.

You can bribe a civilization to attack another one. You do it via a "trade". Go into the trade screen, and at their screen go to the Other Civ option, where you can ask them to declare war on another civilization.

Depending on who they are, how big their army is, how much they hate the other civilization, and how close they are, they'll either outright reject your proposal or give you an offer. Someone like Shaka or Attila will usually be very willing to attack another civilization for a pretty low price, whereas a peaceful civilization will usually refuse to do it.

The key to stopping a runaway giant is to get them to DoW someone (if they're a warmongerer), or, if they're just wonder-building, get another warmonger to attack them. Once the warmonger is sufficiently hated, join in the fun and go pillage and steal some gold while you're at it.

That's the help I needed. I didn't know where to go to ask someone to declare war.....thanks!!!

One thing to keep an eye out for is other civs making declarations of friendship. When you see this, unless that civ is an ally of yours too, flipping that friendship on itself should be a priority. That will cause whichever civ declared war to take a "backstab" hit and MAJORLY anger the rest of the world. It has the added benefit of ensuring rivals can't get research agreements.

Also, before you declare war on someone, always try to offer them a bribe of luxuries and GPT first. Get them to attack someone you want to remain on your side, if you can. The deals are cancelled when you declare war. :)

In early wars, don't take any cities. Kill units and pillage instead, and wait for the enemy to give cities in peace deals.

Do all this right and you can get away with a lot of conquest with few complaints from the world.

Top Bottom