Caveman 2 Cosmos (ideas/discussions thread)

@Alberts: Would you concur that one big problem is that when I put the contract out for property control units I didn't add in the call to tell those units as soon as they are trained to go to the city where the contract was initialized?

Or is there more I'm not seeing?

I started 10 different AutoPlay with different map sizes and with and without Rev. I left all the other options untouched.

All games showed the same problem sometimes it affected more Civs in other games only one. It's a bit random and the AI needs lots of work. That was the reason I made the change not because I wanted to mess with you. The -50 gold at that point of the game is alot compared to the income cities have at that point.

You changed the AiWeight in the wrong direction in your last commit. Crime is a bad property so the lower the AiWeight is the more will the AI counter it. I didn't change it because the last time I did the AI build law units like crazy.

Thank you for the answers. You too T-brd.

I will reset the AIWeight back to a -# asap.

JosEPh

@Alberts: Would you concur that one big problem is that when I put the contract out for property control units I didn't add in the call to tell those units as soon as they are trained to go to the city where the contract was initialized?

Or is there more I'm not seeing?

I believe you made changes to that part of the AI and the problem I had with building lots of those units might have been before that. But I recall seeing a property control AI function you changed where the AiWeight is ignored now.

So you are going with me the same route you took with DH?

Well he played that card first, i only did the same because i was the new guy and if anyone should have left it was me not DH. He has done much more for C2C as i did so i reverted the change he didn't like and left for a while.

Why did i do that?

One of the first CTD's i fixed was caused by an error in some xml so i changed the file to fix that error. That was a really bad idea because that file was owned by someone and no one else was alowed to touch it ever:confused::confused::confused:. After i changed the XML-Parser in the DLL i started working on the XSD based schema validation and discovered lots of XML errors. After a while i was simply tired of fixing the same errors over and over again and beeing blamed for messing with other peoples files. Because i worked on the DLL i was also to blame for CTD's caused by ART or XML errors. Apparently if you worked on the DLL you caused all CTD's. Nobody used the Debug DLL to check for errors so i made some errors visible with the normal DLL to make them aware of their errors.

That pissed off DH and he said i made it impossible for him to work on C2C and that he is leaving. Something he was working on triggered a error message, he really didn't like that. But if he would have used the Debug DLL to check for errors he would have gotten the same error. The real cause of that error are the not working TypeDependency tags, i didn't know that they never really worked and DH didn't either. That lead to lots of misunderstandings and everybody was pissed off, but as you said only i'am to blame for that.

And we have agreed in the past over many things. Perhaps you're looking at my posts with emotionally tinted glasses? I don't know.

I've stated in the Crime and Disease thread repeatedly what stage the changes to crime I was going thru. Did I not move fast enough?

Yes I did ask if you were a spectator (your involvement lately was next to nil) but I also praised and thanked you for the work you've done here. Yet that is ignored?

I was initially put off by your "gutting" of looting because I felt you were ignoring what I am trying to do here. And I felt your reason was to aid 1 particular individual and 1 particular game speed. No discussion occurred between us until now.

And you are threatening to leave? If that is your intention then I will apologize for countermanding your commit over the area I'm trying to fix and the very reason I became a member of the team. I will do nothing further with out your permission, is that okay and does it satisfy you?

I await your response and commands as I am clearly in the wrong here. Again I apologize for your hurt feelings.

JosEPh

Since i started here there was always the battle over who ownes what part of the mod that is just frustrating and crazy. It doesn't matter the only thing that matters is the result of our work as team. No player cares about which modder ownes which file they only care about the result of our work.

A few days after posting a bug report i changed Looting because there was a issue with the svn version of that crime. That had nothing to do with your future work on crimes. Whatever you work on in that area would have replaced my dirty fix with a proper solution once you would have commited your work to the svn without a problem. But instead you charged in and reverted my fix because you assumed something that had nothing to do with the reality. You didn't even ask why i did it you just assumed.......

I'am just tired of that and maybe i'am just too sensitive.

@alberts2,
I can understand this and in some ways empathize as well.

Quite frankly from my perspective as a new modder on this team I feel that I have to be reserved and only do little steps at a time. Why? Because I might step over into someone else territory and don't want the backlash that "used to" happen. Or get kicked off the team. Plus my skill set is low level xml. And it's easy for me to make mistakes, and I have too already.

I am older than both SO and DH (not that much though) so I can be blunt and abrasive if I feel strongly over something. So take me with a Big grain of salt and try to get past my Poor poor internet postings. I hit Capital letters sometime when I don't realize/recognize what that might mean when posting.

So again I apologize for overreacting and assuming you were aiding a particularly abrasive (to me anyway) poster. That was definitely wrong.

Can we "shake hands" and start fresh?

JosEPh :)

I'am just tired of that and maybe i'am just too sensitive.
Maybe a bit. lol. Don't underestimate, however, how appreciated your efforts are as well. We could all improve on our communication at times. But I, for one, completely understand where you're coming from and just want to say you've been an enormous benefit to have on the team. I'm not saying that to sooth an ego here... I really feel that way and hate to think you feel unappreciated. I may have a better insight as to how helpful you've been though since you've done a lot in the dll that I personally wouldn't have even seen needed to be done. The mod is 100% faster thanks to your efforts. I'm sure all can appreciate that as much as I do.

@TB

Did you disable all the OLD promotions, like Drill/1/2 etc etc? If so WE need to re-do alot of things in the events, i was just looking at??

No. Statuses may be taken without leveling up the unit but that doesn't stop the normal leveling promos.

It was creating a crash and I didn't feel like sorting out how and where. They aren't worth trying to merge or split imo, coming from game experience. Not yet anyhow. I may find cause to sort it out later.

It was creating a crash and I didn't feel like sorting out how and where. They aren't worth trying to merge or split imo, coming from game experience. Not yet anyhow. I may find cause to sort it out later.

nah, i wouldn't worry about them, as you stated, they just are really worth it . . .

How about more different military units, like some more tank types, civ specialized and more different combat planes? Also terroist events and anti terror units will be cool.

Also make multimap work, i want to colonize mars and keep playing on earth. ;) Also i want to colonize and explore space and more planets. So every turn on one map, then next turn on the other map, also a space/galaxy map with combat please and the AI civs should be able to colonize other planets also, so a war on mars should be possible and on other planets and in space. :)

@TB What does the "More Resources" game option do and does it do it in the map scripts or somewhere else?

I am trying to restrict some resources by area on the map
  • Walrus and Mammoth to northern hemisphere (working)
  • Guinea Pig to southern South America (working)
  • Rabbits not in southern South America or Oceania (seems to work)
  • Kangaroos to Oceania (not working)

Kangaroos are not working because on most maps there seems to only be one and it is in the wrong place. I am playing around with the Bonus specification to see if I can fix that.

It works on mapscripts that only use the default resource placement from the dll. It roughly doubles the frequency of those placements. That's pretty much it. If the mapscript doesn't default on resource placement it doesn't have an impact.

@Since you are looking at mapscripts, I would like to remind you that PerfectMongoose doesn't place snow terrain.
Also, any mapscripts that makes a vertical coastline at the exact edge of the map is basically doing something wrong as this causes a bad graphic glitch in the water plane. This is a vanilla BTS game engine limitation and I believe fireaxis made sure that none of their mapscripts made such coastlines.

I am not looking at the map scripts themselves just the post processing at this time.

That explains the strange terrain graphics I have in my current game.

Top Bottom