Delaying entry into the next era

CaptainPatch

Lifelong gamer
I'm sure that many/most Civ V players have already ascertained this strategy. For those that haven't, it's something to consider.

When you enter into the next era, you're told that there are significant advantages to be had in the way of City State alliance benefits, etc. What you are NOT told is that there are _also_ some significant downsides. For example, buying Religious structures, Missionaries, Inquisitors, etc. just became _quite_ more expensive, along the lines of another 300 Faith points per. It also seems like the amount of Influence points over City States starts to drop off from 250 = 25, then 15, then.... And I can't say definitively, but I'm pretty sure that once you advance from the Ancient era to the Classical era, Ancient Ruins stop paying off with free techs, weapon upgrades, Faith points, Culture points, or free people to be added to your nearest City. (Pretty much, all I get during the Classical era is maps or money.) I'm sure there are a number of other hidden costs that they failed to highlight.

So, era advancement occurs once one of two things occurs: A) You complete researching the last tech of the current era. B) You complete the research of any tech in the next era.

But what if you do NOT do either of those, in order to remain in the current era? The way to do this is simply to NOT complete the triggering tech. When the tech counter shows there's only one turn to completion, just switch to a different tech to research. You could potentially end up with a half-dozen or more techs, each with just 1 turn of research to complete. When you deem the time is right, switch to the one-pointer you want most, and then complete them one turn after another.

The primary downside of deliberately NOT advancing is that you are denying yourself the ability to construct certain structures, units, Wonders, etc.

This is a particularly viable strategy if you also happen to be the tech leader, AND you have several Cities available to do builds. Advance and knock out those one-pointers 1, 2 ,3, 4 and then start building Wonders in four Cities all at once. If you _are_ the tech leader (and you waited to advance when another civ finally moved into that next era), you're pretty much guaranteed to complete at least 3 of those 4 Wonders before most of the other civs could even _start_ building Wonders themselves.

The only reason I would delay entering into a new era is when I have a Great Works Wonder which requires a certain theme bonus, and I can generate a GWAM fast enough. This usually happens with Broadway, and other wonders which require you to have GWAM works from the same era, or different ones.

Basically, the ONLY reason you'd ever want to delay is for faith purchases. Even then, I probably wouldn't.
If I _know_ that I'm about to establish another City or two (or three), I would like to be able to 1) buy a Missionary, and 2) if they're available to me, buy that new City(ies) a Religious building (or two, if you used your Belief and Enhanced Belief wisely). At +300 for _each_ of those, you burn through whatever Faith you've stockpiled pretty damn fast. So, buy the Missionary (so it can be on site when the Settler builds), build City(ies), Convert City, then pop in the new Cathedral or Pagoda or whatever. Helps the empire and makes the new City a going concern immediately. THEN advance to the next era.

If I _know_ that I'm about to establish another City or two (or three), I would like to be able to 1) buy a Missionary, and 2) if they're available to me, buy that new City(ies) a Religious building (or two, if you used your Belief and Enhanced Belief wisely). At +300 for _each_ of those, you burn through whatever Faith you've stockpiled pretty damn fast. So, buy the Missionary (so it can be on site when the Settler builds), build City(ies), Convert City, then pop in the new Cathedral or Pagoda or whatever. Helps the empire and makes the new City a going concern immediately. THEN advance to the next era.
I don't think it ever jumps by 300. It jumps by 100 per era, or 60 if you have the Piety policy.

The only reason I would delay entering into a new era is when I have a Great Works Wonder which requires a certain theme bonus, and I can generate a GWAM fast enough. This usually happens with Broadway, and other wonders which require you to have GWAM works from the same era, or different ones.
I usually keep musicians even if they spawned until modern era. You want them for late game concerts more anyway.

I don't think it ever jumps by 300. It jumps by 100 per era, or 60 if you have the Piety policy.
The 300 might have to do with the fact that I _always_ play Marathon games. But on Marathon, purchase prices do increase by 300 with each era change.

Yes, the base faith cost of religious buildings and missionaries and inquisitors rises 100 per era, but speed multipliers also apply, so marathon's per-era cost increase is 300 faith.

There's also the world congress to consider. If you have a lot of city states, beelining to the next eras will get you a greater share of the congress, while staying back is better if you don't have city states. For ideologies, sometimes I want a really fast ideology and I'll want to go straight to radio with Oxford for that purpose, but other times I may have no tourism and an army that can't beat my neighbor, so delaying until my neighbors get ideologies isn't the worst thing in the world. When you are in this situation, I'm pretty sure 4 times out of 5 you can choose order and everyone will follow you, but if the zulu are your neighbor and they choose autocracy, that's yet another difference between you two that will lead to war and possibly unhappiness.

Usually advancing eras is a good thing and helps substantially, but there are times when you may want to wait a little while.

I have only done this once. I was building djenne and had saved up lots of faith. I switched research 1 turn from completion and waited three turns to finish djenne, popped all my three conversion missionaries, and then advanced to the next era.

Top Bottom