Advices for my first Deity Game

I am not really convinced, that Pisa is the way to go. Even if I do everything right - like NC around T90, education around T100 and then going the bottom tree to get Pisa, I failed to get the wonder itself even on immortal. I probably got it the few times I had wonderful starting location, so I don't really bother with Pisa, even if its available , unless I have something like 2 salt, 2 other mining lux in the capital ...

And if I go that way, I have to delay astronomy, accustics and and architecture. While the wonders might not be mine to have, getting the Observatory is the safest road ...

Like I said - I had beelined Architecture, when I saw that Pedro is building Sistine. For some reason, he never finished it in my game, but that meaned, that he is already at Accustics, so he'd probably get Uffizi no matter what I do. I had no GE and way worse production than him after all ...

About the gold - I had it, because I had recently sold a lot of wine. I had several DOF, so I was probably selling 4 and exchanging 2 for other lux at that point. With the low GPT and potential happiness issues in the future, I don't think that buying Workshops everywhere would make any sense. I'd better have some cash for the public schools or for buying CS/Lux. Getting money from the AI for GPT is not really an abuse right now, its a real loan with tax, so I'd not do it if its not VERY important to have immediate cash ...

Ur - I have not missed a quest there, it was just offering jokes (like all the other CS). After the initial barb quests, the CS were asking in like 90% of teh time for:

- ask tribute
- great merchant
- great Musician
- great xxx (but not the things I could offer - GS or eventually GE)
- max culture for 30 turns (thing that I could no way do early game)
- max faith (absolutely impossible)
- ocasional gold 50% increase - that from maritimes with allies mostly
- Incense (I think at some point 3 or 4 CS were asking for it).
- few trade routes, but not from the CS cared about

I got 1-2 science for 30 turns quests, very few lux quests, I don't think I even won a quest for strategic resource, even after I had sold all I had ...

I could take it with coup at ~50% rate AFTER investing 1000 gold. Or investing 2000 gold, what I do not think is very wise thing to do, when u got almost no GPT ... 27GPT I could pay, but 70? That would trigger other CS quests too, but still, I don't think I was in a position to do that.

Its more of a bad luck to have your capital asking for the most scarce resource of em all, with only 1 source available anywhere in the map at that time.

I always play the CV game more like a science game, they are not that different in tech path after all, that leaves me with a backup plan, even if France has CV flavour :)

You might be right about the cap slot, but I have the "settle on hills" bias. This has saved me many times when I have aggresive neighbours next door. So I settle on flatland only when there is no other choise.
And here we have mountain+river+hill, grasslands and some hills ... You basicly swap the hammer from the hill for the hammer from the caw in that case, while losing the better defence perk provided by the hill. There were not that many overlapping tiles in this case, and thats not really something I could know before exploring.

I thank you very much for checking this out now, even if I do not agree with everything, this definitely gives me better ideas how to improve my game :) I will probably check how my war with Spain goes, and see how far can we get afterwards. You see under same conditions, Brazil got Order in my game, and that makes things way more complicated besides the backstab from Spain.

I will replay it from the T140 too if that fails to see what happens if I take the other path.

By PT, I meant Porcelain tower btw, not Pisa. The PP wonders are almost impossible to get except for certain circumstances.

As for the coup, at -100 influence you should have 30-50% or so chance with a lvl 3 spy, if you give them 1000 gold once, chances are your coup chances are going to be around 70-80%.

btw a lot of CSs were asking for trade routes... you certainly did not complete those... completing them at least "resets" the quest, allowing them to give you a new one...

hmm... I would take an extra cow over the hill any day. A 3 food which fully upgraded becomes 4 food two hammer > 1 hammer from hill.

SV is so easy there is no need for a backup plan :lol: you can most certainly pull it off going for CV if need be virtually all the time. There is no need to rush to finish SV at t250 if it is not what you were going for in the first place.
But go ahead and try to play it differently, not selling the city... (saving money for public schools at that stage make no sense unless you plan on not making any further gold for the next 30 turns or so)

Yes, there were some trade route quests, but not for Ur. And it mattered, not the rest of em :)

I won with my initial game plan after all. War with Spain lasted 3-4 turns.
It was a bit slower than in your savegame, and that is probably because of the world religion enaction and resolution. I lost open borders from Siam, everybody denounced me, shortly after Portugal and Netherlands DOWed me (that was around T290).
Pedro built the Great Firewall, but that could not help him vs my musicians.
I'd probably win at least 10 turns earlier if I had not enacted I think, as losing open borders, diplomats and trade routes probably cost me more than the bonus I got from it ...

I didn't think its possible with so few wonders, and so few artifacts. Note that there were 2 unreachable antiquity sites in the ice.

In this game, I started making musicians after I had all the infrastructure (incl. Airports). Don't know if thats the correct strategy, but I thought I need em to be maxed, beacause beating 3x 60+k culture is not that easy ...

That war with Portugal was OK, as it allowed me to send two more musicians their way, and I hold it off, as my cities were already good at producting planes.

At the end I was at war with everyone except Siam.
Here some screenshots from my triumph :D

P.S. And about SV - well - the first game I played Persia almost got SV as early as turn 280. If the AI had researched Sats instead of some useless tech, I'd be dead that game before the first vote ... So its not always that easy.

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0105.jpg
    Civ5Screen0105.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 81
  • Civ5Screen0104.jpg
    Civ5Screen0104.jpg
    373.6 KB · Views: 61
  • Civ5Screen0103.jpg
    Civ5Screen0103.jpg
    428.8 KB · Views: 55
Top Bottom