Roleplaying Civs and the Policy Tree

Wouldn't Rome be Commerce rather than Patronage? I'm not too buff on their history but former civ games cast them as a financial/aggressive civ.

Rome wasnt much of a merchant/trading society, the economy was based on agriculture (slavery), war (slaves :p) and tribute from various dependent countries. Patronage fits the bill nicely imo.

Unfortunately I would never take commerce as Inca, it makes no sense because they already get discounted roads, and shouldnt really be building too many coastal cities.

Ok, I need to try a TSL map with Inca :)

Well that is a tough one. I was really up in the air about that. I would say because of its comparison to its sister countries (Europe and the British Dominions).

Compared to those peers it is surprisingly conservative and religious. At the same time it is also one of the great homes of science in the world, so I was really torn!

I broke the tie as PIE because Greece was the other LIB/HON/FRE civ and I felt that Greece was more deserving of RAT than the US. I guess from my perspective the US still seems like a very religious country given its circumstances.

Piety somewhat implies church-state government. The US only made that error up until the late 1700s. For the past 240 or so years, the U.S. has been free of the church-state system.

I just got back from a men's meeting at church where we studied this.

Egypt on your chart should be:

Tradition - Monument Builders, Pharaoh God-King
Honor - They were great in historical ancient and classical wars
Piety - Those pyramids and monuments were for their gods
Commerce - They have lots of bling bling
Freedom - like in the modern world right now people are revolting and stuff

These 5 help them ingame too by pushing toward a Cultural Victory!

Well, judging by today, USA is definitely a lot more Pious that it is Rational :p

I dont really like warmongering and a Tradition + Liberty start is my favorite opener, plus I like to play whichever Civ has the strongest economic advantage (Inca hands down, though I also enjoy playing as Egypt or Babylon).

My favorite social policy trees are Tradition, Liberty, Rationalism, Freedom and Order. Those are the 5 I always take now. Rationalism gives me an extra advantage on highland maps because I settle lots of mountainside cities for observatories, and you can get +1 happiness for those.

Piety somewhat implies church-state government. The US only made that error up until the late 1700s. For the past 240 or so years, the U.S. has been free of the church-state system.

Don't forget the Piety tree ends in free religion.
Also with Freedom, you are motivated to use alot of specilists.

"Yes there are problems, there will always be problems, especially in the current economic situation. A lack of higher education, about which I hear so much, is one of them. And it will be resolved, as will all others, in my next mandate."

(Massive Kudos to whoever recognizes this quote).

Is that quote from Tropico 3? I love lying in the elections :lol:

Add Korea to the the chart. Also I would say add priority to policies. So for example Arabia would have High priority for Piety & Commerce, but less for honour etc.

No offense, but your meeting then has missed a good majority of the major issues then that the religious conservatives have pretty much shut down, or attempt to shut down every election.

Abortion, Stem Cell Research, Same Sex Marriage, etc.

Believe me, I know church political stances very well. My wife is a Pastor and so within the circle of Pastors, politics is a big deal. Fortunately, my current denomination is more Liberal, but before conversion, the politics were there too on the Conservative side.

Piety for America is spot on. :goodjob:

Don't forget the Piety tree ends in free religion.

This too.

EDIT: I role play my civs based on victory type I want to achieve and how the AI responds to me as a result.

I'm a little different. I treat each Policy Tree as its own Civ IV Civ Attribute, and the Civs themselves as "Leaders." Playing a war-based Honor Tree Aztec is significantly different from playing a Tradition Tree based one, I can tell you!

if germany is autocracy then japan should be also because the only reason for putting germany in autocracy is world war 2 and japan was autocratic well before then

Most countries in the world right now are stuck at Organized Religion, Theocracy, or Reformation.

Piety for America is spot on. :goodjob:

no it really isnt. the us is one of few nations in all of world history that never had religion run any part of the government. the fact that there are still more religious individuals than in other industrialized nations and that those people try to make laws based on their religious morals does not make the country pious. any other civ would be a better fit for piety except for babylon and korea because they have science bonuses.

no it really isnt. the us is one of few nations in all of world history that never had religion run any part of the government. the fact that there are still more religious individuals than in other industrialized nations and that those people try to make laws based on their religious morals does not make the country pious. any other civ would be a better fit for piety except for babylon and korea because they have science bonuses.

Then your failure to understand American history saddens me. Original colonists aside, perhaps you should look at the original documents that form the basis of the US Government. Declaration of Independence talks about God. Bill of Rights states that there is no laws that govern what religion you may practice, opposite that of a Theocratic Nation (which is not the same as Piety). Then there is the Pledge of Allegiance which is "one nation under God".

Not to mention even before the Star Spangled Banner, My Country, 'Tis of Thee' was the original national anthem (until 1931 signed by Herbert Hoover), which includes the lyrics "Great God our King". Oh, the national motto has been "In God we Trust" since 1956.

However, let us go to the simple root of the discussion of piety vs rationalism.

pi·e·ty n;
1. reverence for God or devout fulfillment of religious obligations: a prayer full of piety.
2. the quality or state of being pious: saintly piety.
3. dutiful respect or regard for parents, homeland, etc.: filial piety.
4. a pious act, remark, belief, or the like: the pieties and sacrifices of an austere life.

ra·tion·al·ism, n;
1. The principle or habit of accepting reason as the supreme authority in matters of opinion, belief, or conduct.
2. Philosophy .
a. The doctrine that reason alone is a source of knowledge and is independent of experience.
b. (in the philosophies of Descartes, Spinoza, etc.) The doctrine that all knowledge is expressible in self-evident propositions or their consequences.

Once again, proof that Piety for America is spot on.

Let's not forget that USA money has the quote "In god we trust" and it also has that pyramid with the eye on the top . I wonder why India is Order instead Freedom

Top Bottom