How civilizations are doing in real world now

*Nope*
Have England represent England (or Britain, whichever suits) but the Celts are meant to represent the 6 Celtic nations:
Scotland
Wales
Ireland
Isle of Man
Cornwall
& The Channel Islands.

Now, obviously the last 2 are too small to find, but please at the very least combine Wales, Scotland and the Rep. of Ireland.

Well... my goal is to narrow down a civilization into a minimum number of successor modern nations.

Also I can't find many statistics on places that aren't *independent sovereign nations* Scotland might be independent after 2014 referendum, but as of now it's still a part of UK.

So I think I will have to go England -> UK / Celts -> Republic of Ireland.

It's very interesting.
What does it mean "no religion" ?
Does "no religion" is atheism ?

Yes, no religion includes all atheists, agnostics, and even people who believes in divine entity but not any organized religions.

Interestingly, the make up of *no religion* differs depending on countries.

For example in the US, their *16% no religion* is mainly for people who believe in God but lost confidence in every organized religions - only about 3% of population are actual atheists.

While in countries like South Korea and China, their *no religion* is mainly made up of people who are atheist and agnostics, not people who believe in God but lost confidence in organized religions - meaning there are a lot more actual atheists in East Asia than the US. :D

And of course, in countries like Egypt, - it's almost criminal to be an atheist(not actually illegal but a huge discrimination across the society) ;)

Even in countries like Mexico and Greece, atheism is considered very immoral :crazyeye:

You'd just answered your own question.

@josh. How is that gonna work? England today, consist of Scotland, Wales, England, and Northern Ireland. The Celts are strongly misrepresented in CiV. They do not represent any modern civ, but take in consider that England had conquered Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland, that means the Celts must represent the Rep. of Ireland. Plus, this is 2013, not 15whatever

England never conquered Scotland. The Scottish dynasty, the Stuarts, ascended the English throne. Since they were also on the Scottish throne, England entered a personal union with them.
(Scotland was the lesser partner due to England being far more powerful and wealthier.)

Even in countries like Mexico and Greece, atheism is considered very immoral :crazyeye:

But Athiesm does, in a very many cases, lead to immorality.

Atheism absolves people from feeling like they have a responsibility or morality which leads them to do immoral things.

England never conquered Scotland. The Scottish dynasty, the Stuarts, ascended the English throne. Since they were also on the Scottish throne, England entered a personal union with them.
(Scotland was the lesser partner due to England being far more powerful and wealthier.)

In my dictionary, conquer means taking over a nation, by force or not. Scotland WAS once an independent nation (Tibet was too, nuff said)

In my dictionary, conquer means taking over a nation, by force or not. Scotland WAS once an independent nation (Tibet was too, nuff said)

Conquer means to take control of a place or people using force. England was unified with Scotland in the acts of union in 1707. That's by far conquering.

Germany is another easy one to do :)

Germany in Civilization V

Federal Republic of Germany [Bundesrepublik Deutschland] (Germany)

Capital :c5capital:
Berlin

Population :c5citizen:
80,399,300 (16th)

Land :c5moves:
357,021 km2 (63rd)

Economy

GDP :c5gold:
PPP: $3.197 trillion (5th)
Nominal: $3.401 trillion (4th)

GDP per capita
PPP: $39,028 (18th)
Nominal: $41,513 (21st)

Agriculture :c5food:
0.8% of GDP

Manufacturing :c5production:
28.6% of GDP

Trade :c5trade:
Exports: $1.492 trillion (3rd)
Imports: $1.276 trillion (3rd)
Balance: $216 billion

Public debt :c5citystate:
$2.8 trillion
83% of GDP

Foreign reserves
$266 billion

Economic aid
$14.5 billion donor (DAC member)

Military

Firepower :c5war:
Global firepower index: 0.6491 (7th)

Military expenditure :c5strength:
PPP: $42.8 billion (10th)
Nominal: $45.8 billion (9th)
1.4% of GDP​

Society

Human Development Index :c5happy:
0.920 (5th) very high

Income Inequality :c5angry:
Gini Index: 27 low

Democracy Index :c5goldenage:
8.34 (14th) Full democracy

Research & Developments spending :c5science:
$69.5 billion (PPP) (4th)
2.3% of GDP (PPP)

Religion :c5faith:
No Religion: 32%
Roman Catholicism: 29.9%
Protestantism: 28.9%
Islam: 5%
Other Religions: 4%​

* % of GDP numbers may vary as each figures are from different years between 2010-2012

Japan's modern successor is obvious as well :D

Japan in Civilization V

Japan [日本国]

Tokyo

126,659,683 (10th)

377,944 km2 (62nd)

Economy

PPP: $4.779 trillion (4th)
Nominal: $5.150 trillion (3rd)

GDP per capita
PPP: $36,266 (24th)
Nominal: $46,726 (13th)

1.2% of GDP

27.5% of GDP

Exports: $773.9 billion (4th)
Imports: $830.6 billion (4th)
Balance: -$56.7 billion

$11.8 trillion
230% of GDP

Foreign reserves
$1.154 trillion

Economic aid
$9.7 billion donor (DAC member)

Military

Global firepower index: 0.7918 (17th)

PPP: $46.0 billion (10th)
Nominal: $59.3 billion (8th)
1.0% of GDP​

Society

0.912 (10th) very high

Gini Index: 37.6 medium

8.08 (23rd) Full democracy

$160.3 billion (PPP) (4th)
3.67% of GDP (PPP)

No Religion: 67%
Buddhism: 22%
Not stated: 6%
Other religions: 3%
Christianity: 2%​

* % of GDP numbers may vary as each figures are from different years between 2010-2012

France is another straight forward civilization to determine its modern successor state.

For population and land - I have used *Metropolitan France* data because GDP and GDP per capita is only available on Metropolitan France excluding overseas territories.

France in Civilization V

French Republic [République française] (France)

Paris

63,460,000 (22nd)

551,695 km2 (47th)

Economy

PPP: $2.254 trillion (9th)
Nominal: $2.609 trillion (5th)

GDP per capita
PPP: $35,548 (25th)
Nominal: $41,141 (22nd)

1.9% of GDP

18.3% of GDP

Exports: $567.5 billion (5th)
Imports: $658.9 billion (5th)
Balance: -$91.4 billion

$2.35 trillion
89.9% of GDP

Foreign reserves
$171.9 billion

Economic aid
$12.99 billion donor (DAC member)

Military

Global firepower index: 0.6163 (6th)

PPP: $50.7 billion (7th)
Nominal: $58.9 billion (6th)
2.3% of GDP​

Society

0.893 (20th) very high

Gini Index: 32.7 medium low

7.88 (28th) Flawed democracy

$42.2 billion (PPP) (6th)
1.9% of GDP (PPP)

Christianity: 45%
No Religion: 35%
Not stated: 10%
Other Religions: 6%
Islam: 3%
Buddhism: 1%​

And of course, in countries like Egypt, - it's almost criminal to be an atheist(not actually illegal but a huge discrimination across the society) ;)

From reports I've heard the feeling among atheists in the US is that this is the case here as well. My own more positive experience of this aspect of the country, being as it is confined largely to the US scientific establishment, is probably atypical. Possibly I'm also given leeway as a typical Godless European... Certainly I've been struck by just how all-permeating religion is in the States.

I have an abiding memory from shortly after arriving of visiting a friend's family, and the question "What are your thoughts about the afterlife?" came up in a tone to suggest it was as natural a topic - and as real - as Texas or the weather. It drives home just how alien the US is to a secular European.

Democracy Index
7.88 (28th) Flawed democracy

Interesting and unexpected to see this for France. What are the data underlying these ratings?

From reports I've heard the feeling among atheists in the US is that this is the case here as well. My own more positive experience of this aspect of the country, being as it is confined largely to the US scientific establishment, is probably atypical. Possibly I'm also given leeway as a typical Godless European... Certainly I've been struck by just how all-permeating religion is in the States.

I have an abiding memory from shortly after arriving of visiting a friend's family, and the question "What are your thoughts about the afterlife?" came up in a tone to suggest it was as natural a topic - and as real - as Texas or the weather. It drives home just how alien the US is to a secular European.

Interesting and unexpected to see this for France. What are the data underlying these ratings?

Yes, I heard that some Southern Americans openly say that all Muslims are terrorist but they are still preferable to atheists :D

For democracy index I've used *Democracy index 2012* published by The Economist intelligence unit.

I was going to upload the report in PDF form, but the forum wouldn't allow it.

So here is the link;

https://portoncv.gov.cv/dhub/porton.por_global.open_file?p_doc_id=1034

You can save it as a PDF file for later offline reference.

Interestingly, only 25 nations were considered to be *Full democracy* and many European countries ended up with *Flawed democracy*

Checkout the report for detailed criteria :)

Where is the percents of Shintoism in Japan's religions?

there are a lot of muslims in France, not only 3%.
I think 30% of France are muslims.

3% are Shinto.

Yes, there are a lot of Muslims in France, but for real, there are really only about 7% of Muslims in France.

4,704,000 French Muslims / 65,630,692 Total French Population = 0.7167378335 X 100 = 7.167378335 = 7%

I think I did the math wrong

Conquer means to take control of a place or people using force. England was unified with Scotland in the acts of union in 1707. That's by far conquering.

Technically, you could say that England joined Scotland under the Act of Union, and that Scotland was conquered (at least partly) by Edward I. However, I'd just let the OP get on with the thread, as it is amazing. Good work! :goodjob:

But Athiesm does, in a very many cases, lead to immorality.

Atheism absolves people from feeling like they have a responsibility or morality which leads them to do immoral things.

No - Just No , your ignorance is so massive that ive taken offense to this .

Moderator Action: Please do not make this personal. What you posted is flaming someone. Make your argument, but do not discuss the poster.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Nearly all of the problems in the world are made not by those who don't believe in the invisible man in the sky that loves you UNCONDITIONALLY as long as you follow all his RULES .

Nearly all atrocities are carried out in the name of some religion .

UHHHHHH ......

I cannot believe that anyone can look at the world today and say that people cannot have morals without religion .
Religion often has a guidance but if that guidance is horribly flawed and based on peoples attempts at controlling other people then what kind of morality does that lead to ?
The bible for instance was written by a group of people who had an interest in controlling a populace not by an invisible cloud surfer .
You can see very easily that it has multiple authors because it constantly contradicts itself .

Religion absolves people of blame , "I killed your friend because my god wanted me to ."
Without religion people would have to take responsibility for their own actions .

What frustrates me most is that people shut their eyes to their own potential to do the right thing , even the simple idea of reciprocal altruism is lost on some .

Excellent post. I love the information and formatting. Thank you for putting this together.

3% are Shinto.

Yes, there are a lot of Muslims in France, but for real, there are really only about 7% of Muslims in France.

4,704,000 French Muslims / 65,630,692 Total French Population = 0.7167378335 X 100 = 7.167378335 = 7%

I think I did the math wrong

Shinto was never the major religion even in Japan, and it was never the worldly religion either. :)

Shinto is nothing more than a primitive local shamanism combined with series of local folklore backed up by marketing gimmick.

It used to forced upon the Japanese people during the Imperial Japan era as the *state religion*. But as you can see, East Asians are generally not attracted to *organized religions* compared to the West. :)

Anyway as otaman1 said, according to 2008 survey 3% of Japanese follow Shintoism, but I used the newer 2011 survey, where it probably got absorbed into *Other religion*

As for Muslims in France, both 2007 and 2011 survey says 3%, and I can't just change the number I've found can I? :D

Technically, you could say that England joined Scotland under the Act of Union, and that Scotland was conquered (at least partly) by Edward I. However, I'd just let the OP get on with the thread, as it is amazing. Good work! :goodjob:

Excellent post. I love the information and formatting. Thank you for putting this together.

Thanks, I will be uploading again soon :D

Thanks for this post. USA and France deficit is quite scary. Makes you wonder, Why the heck Americans don't cut their military expense?

Thanks for this post. USA and France deficit is quite scary. Makes you wonder, Why the heck Americans don't cut their military expense?

Well, it makes since for China and India to be scary right? I mean, they have over a billion people living in them and it just doesn't make sense to not have a military force as strong as the US.

Top Bottom