Why can't my crossbowman hit the city?

Although your crossbow has three range, his sight is only two tiles. so a(nother) unit has to see the city. The city is on a tile that is dark so you have no sight.

2 tiles distance. If you move one tile you will be able to hit the city, and the city will be able to hit you. (your vision is blocked)

The only archer that can hit the city from this distance without improvement is the long bow from england, and you will need a unity giving you vision or a spy/diplomat.(I kn ow you have range 3)

Always count the number of tiles based on the sides. So just cross 2 sides and you will know all your range.

PS: Remember that jungle, forest, hills and mountains block your shoot, unless you shooting with an artilhary that do indirect fire(if any unity is giving you vision, you can damage).

crossbowman has range upgrade and there is a frigate spotting the city from the east. You can see that I am able to see the units inside the city i.e. I have vision. In the unit box, you can see the range upgrade.

It doesnt make sense to me. Looking by this angle, you be able to hit it for sure. YOu should be able to even hit the long swordman.

Don't know whats going on.

It's pretty fukced up if you ask me... but since it's this fukced up since day one of the game, I guess it will never be fixed.

Explanation (it's complicated though):
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=11575472&postcount=17

(so... I believe the "ENE/WSW Axis Screenshot" (blue markers) applies here and you would be able to hit the city if there was any unit of yours in the grass tile with the trading post on it.
The over mountains part confuses me though, as in that case the tile doesn't actually give line of sight to the target as DaveMcW stated would be needed)

Top Bottom