The Immortal Challenge Line-up Game #42 Indonesia

budweiser

King of the Beers
Welcome to the Immortal Challenge Lineup!

ICL Game #42 - Indonesia
Settings: standard, standard
Map – Continents, wet, picked opponents, raging barbs
Victory - Time & Domination only
DLC - All DLC - no map packs

I've cooked up this little battle map. I hope it gives everyone a chance to use the UU. Enjoy!

Starting location:
Spoiler :

Information & rules:
Spoiler :

All games in this series will be set to IMMORTAL difficulty. User civilizations, maps, and opponents will change each game, but the pace will always be set at standard and the starting era will always be ancient. We will try for a variety of starts, and not just having a crazy warmonger as your next door neighbor (although there will be that too). This isn't a competition so there will be no predefined victory conditions. New challenges in the series will be posted every other Wednesday.

Who can play?
Anybody can play. The more the merrier. Even if you normally don't play immortal games you are still welcome to try. The games can become great learning resources for the player trying to improve. Even if you don't finish the game, we are still interested to hear about your experience.

Do's and Don'ts
We are going to be using the honor system. Feel free to restart, reload, play the same game multiple times, but don't use the science overflow exploit. Also please don't edit the game in IGE. If you do chose to cheat, please don't share your results in the comments. Also, please use the spoiler tag if you post a picture, comment about neighboring civs, close by wonders, or locations of ancient ruins.

Also, please tell us about your Build Order, Social Policies, Tech Order, and what type of wonders you went after. I know a lot of this stuff seems pretty mundane to the experienced player, but the details are incredibly useful to people trying to learn.

Future Games in the Series
I want users to submit saves from turn 0. Preferably the person submitting the game has played enough turns to know the map is either difficult, fun, or unique in some enjoyable way. Write a short description as to why it is special and email the save to immortalchallengelineup@gmail.com

Important
If you submit a game for the challenge, you must have the DLC map packs disabled. Not everybody has them and they are honestly kind of useless. Having them disabled will allow more participants.

Links to all recent ICL-games:
Spoiler :
Nope.

Attachments

• Gajah Mada_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    579.4 KB · Views: 106
There's no way I'm gonna use the UU, as the chance of a duff unit is too high, but I'm certainly gonna be playing this, especially since I just injured my leg, IRL.

T124 Update

Spoiler :
Moved to the mountain, decided to open Tradition to get to the Cottons quickly. Initial scouting showed awful dirt beyond the capital location, so decided to go OCC. All subsequent policies have been in Piety. My religion spread to all cities on the continent at one point, though Casimir and Darius have now founded their own. My aim is to just maintain a high FPT and use Glory of God to outrageous levels in the post-Industrial, pushing for OCC CV.

Casimir is the biggest worry as he forward settled right in my face next to the mountain to the SW, and I expect he doesn't want to fight anyone else, so it may slow me down to have to fight a war, and he is pretty crap at making peace. We'll see...

Just seen your updated location, Nige.

You are just like the real Nigel Tufnell, then? Appearing to be from England but actually a stealth Yank?

I forgot then, I though Nigel was always from London, turning everything up to 11 :)

T252 OCC CV / Quit

Sadly, I had not expected the VC change, nor had I properly read the OP, by which I would have known about it. In fact, very sadly, as it was possibly the finest CV I have ever constructed. Every move was as perfect as I could manage. My manipulation of the CS was inch-perfect, the diplo which kept the whole world at war and most of the world worshipping my religion, and earning fat amounts of faith and gold and culture....sigh, all for nothing.

Or was it?

Am I a stupid fool? Or should my victory count? :D

I'm certainly not replaying or continuing to a time victory :D

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-10-19 at 23.21.13.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-10-19 at 23.21.13.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 161
Am I a stupid fool? Or should my victory count? :D
Well, I will add it to the spreadsheet, whenever I finally build it back again. ;)

And yes, I'm a yank, like Christopher Guest of Spinal Tap!

budweiser - might want to put the VC in bold, since that usually isn't limited?

BTW, I've played this twice and failed at getting off a decent sword rush. I might try it one more time because I think it would be cool to have a well promoted cadre of ground pounders using the UU traits.

I think I'm going to skip this one and try out ModAcken v3...
Spoiler :
I hate not being able to use UA's, etc., and I had a suspicion Continents would not provide a chance... I loaded the map in WB with my glasses off and it doesn't look good (and fuzzy as heck!).

Finally, a worthy challenge for immortal. :)

But, I learned something I didnt know. This is a pretty good turtle civ.

T304 DomV

Second play-thru, details in spoilers.

Spoiler :

First try, went Philosophy before Ironworking. Managed to get 2 caps before the other 2 neighbors DOW'ed within 10 turns of each other, so chalked that one up as a loss. I did manage to get the enemy sword achievement though, so at least it wasn't a waste of time.

Second try, rushed straight for IW. Got lucky with the Kris upgrades, but only 1 managed to survive to become a GWI. Went south first for Poland with 3 kris and a few archers around turn 70, then around the coast through Shoshone, Persia, Assyria, and finally Greece. I think that wall of CS in the middle makes it hard to sweep any other way. Last 2 were on their own continents so it took a bit of swimming.

Probably could have ended earlier, but I wanted to take every city.

Spoiler :

2015-10-22_00003.jpg

Start was very tough. Lucky to get a single expo initally -- and not a great spot either. I was thinking the map was one where all the civs start in the “old world” so the land is very crowded. But that was not it.

I'm certainly not replaying or continuing to a time victory

You could continue to a Dom VC faster than I did!

First part went okay, but then I really struggled no mater who I took on next after the first couple -- and I retried the last half of the game a few times! Lost my cap on one run...

I knew from the beginning I wanted to try Liberty for founding three spice islands. The AIs really settled poorly (1 hex from coast) so I did several raze-and-resettle.

I had have dozen XBs all leveled up and 10 good Kris -- and could do nothing until Arty. Very frustrating, but I very much appreciated the map! Thanks again Budweiser!

I am going to try again opening Tradition. Still going to exploit UU and UA even if it delays the game!

Attachments

• civ5ss-icl42-t498dv.jpg
    civ5ss-icl42-t498dv.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 128
Spoiler :
It was a long grinding game for me. Domination is not a victory type I have much experience with, but I learned many things from this game. I ran into some happiness problems early on and kept too many low potential city which slowed down my science (should have razed them). Starting location was also not so good and Persepolis ended up being a much better city even if conquered much later in the game (with its population halved).

The main continent was a crazy one. All mainland civs had huge armies and were very military focused. The upside was that they were all eager to accept my bribes to go to war. The downside was that I had to face very large armies (sometimes larger then my own). Poland, the only close neighbor, had the largest army early on with already 100K sub T100. I bribed them to attack the Shoshone south just to move on them from the north a few turns later. I forced a bit this early attack to try out the Kris swordsmen which slowed down my game down the road. However, I did get many units with the Recruitment ability which is really powerful.

I went
Poland > Shoshone > Persia > Assyria > Greece > Aztec > Morocco
Note: Assyria was sandwiched by Persia and Greece beforehand thanks to my bribes

The Aztecs and Morocco were at peace all early and mid game and snatched every damn wonders except some faith and policy specific ones. By the end of the game, Morocco had 140M pop and 800K army. So I just waited for XCOMs and nukes to take over Marrakesh. Nuking 60M people felt good after this long game.

Civ5Screen0012.jpg

Top Bottom