Civ3 on Android

gratan

Chieftain
Hello! I want to share with you a news that now Civilization 3 can be played on mobile Android-based devices. This is possible using the emulator ExaGear Strategies which allows you to run PC strategy games on Android. The first version of the emulator was able to run only HoMM3, and with the recent update it supports Civ3 and Disciples2. In general, the emulator allows you to run a variety of games, but adapted for touch-screen control is available so far only for the three supported games.

Emulator is available on Google Play.

It has 3 days free trial period and then requires one-time payment for controls. There are two different controls: 'Cuprum' is for Civ3 and 'Helium' for HoMM3 and Disciples2 (and you have to pay for each controls separately).

I found two-year-old post with similar topic but no solution at that time. Now dreams come true...

Looks good! I might be thinking of getting a tablet soon and have a choice between iOS and Android. Being a Blackberry smartphone user, I consider both of them to be equally as bad.

Jokes aside, this just might sway my decision. Have you tried playing Civ III on this emulator? What do you think of the controls and performance?

I was intrigued, but I am also wary. Clearly this is not supported by anybody, and it's not immediately clear to me how you get the game onto the tablet and working. Plus, while the emulator is free, the "controls" which appear to be game-specific are not free, and I saw the word "subscription" in there somewhere.

If I had time (I don't just now) I might have tried to set it up and see if my bluetooth kb and mouse would work in lieu of "controls", but it smells like a lot of trouble with zero support and a subscription fee.

But real Civ3-on-a-tablet would be cool...

This is interesting. It's an impressive project if it really works well. I don't have an Android device myself, but I'd be curious how well it works for those who do.

I do see the mention of a subscription that Puppeteer mentioned, so it's unclear if it's a one-time fee for the controls, or a subscription, or options of both (or indeed what those fees would be, although I reckon that's probably visible after you install it). But, while it's still clearly early days, it looks like there is a developer behind this, so I don't think it's fair to say it isn't supported by anybody. How well supported it is remains to be seen, but they've already updated it once (to add Civ3 and Disciples2), so hopefully that's a sign of future updates as well. If I had an Android device, I'd at least try the trial.

Top Bottom