Brave New World, the game - but who has read the book

I tried to read it, but I couldn't find the end turn button.

Normally there's a lid that can be opened from the right side, giving access to numerous 'pages'. There's no display light, it's best to sit in a lit room or use a torch.
I read this book as a kid, when this method of absorbing a novel was common. It made quite an impression on me. It's old, visionary science fiction, asking moral questions that are still relevant today.

I read this book as a kid. It made quite an impression on me. It's old, visionary science fiction, asking moral questions that are still relevant today.

Yeah, this for me as well.

I read it around he same time I read 1984 for English class. I actually found it quite silly and ridiculous, but that's to be expected from every work that could be classified as science fiction and has been left far behind by science. Induced fetal alcohol syndrome ? Really ?
Not a bad book, but it was too much weird-vision-of-the-future-written-in-the-thirties for me.

I had to read it for English class, along with 1984.
I absolutely loved the book then, haven't read it since, but it's one of my favourite books of all time.

I especially liked John the Savage and his Shakespeare (if I'm right, it's been twenty years ;) ) and the whole setting in general. The whole utopia-is-actually-dystopia, the bon sauvage, etc.
=======
But I must say I like (old) science fiction in general, be it Jules Verne, Aldous Huxley or any iteration of Star Trek.
Science fiction is a great view into the mindset of society of that time.

The first decennia of the twentieth century was actually a time of hope for the future, and how people could best create society.
People were still looking for the best form of society and how to form the future society. How to create a utopia.
And how contradictory it now feels, even things like communism and fascism were developed with the best of intentions (for their followers).
And it wasn't at all certain that democracy would prevail at the end. Many people in the 20's and 30's even thought that democracy had proved to be ineffective.

It's so contrasting to current society, where it's all about the status quo and there isn't any true vision for the future anymore. But then again, it isn't such a turbulent time.

Loved the book, when i was young:p
Maybe i will try to get a hearbook version.

Haven't read the book, but I've heard it's pretty good. I'd pick it up but I already have so many other books I need to read already I don't want to just add another one to the collection.

To be honest, I thought it was overrated. I didn't think the writing itself was very good.

I loved the book. I actually preferred BNW to 1984.

They're very different books. The interesting thing about Brave New World was that it wasn't clear that it was a distopia. From our perspective, it felt wrong and unnatural, but most people were happy. It was just different. In that sense, it was more unsettling. 1984 is, imo, a powerful book (although, my God, it's a depressing book). Both are fun. I would recommend everyone here read it, although I will probably point out that it isn't necessary in order to play the game. ;)

Brave New World the book was way over rated. Huxley's predictions of a modern cast system was just absurd. A society where 90% of the population had brain damage and was high on drugs would have certainly collapsed. Why is this considered great literature I have no clue.

George Orwell's book 1984 was at least fairly accurate at predicting a controlled Police State such as the USSR or the current state of North Korea. But overall even he got it wrong. The USSR is no more and North Korea is a pariah. Dictatorships in general are in massive decline.

The political science fiction writers really missed the major movements that occurred in the last 60 years. The big things that few saw coming were the civil rights movement, feminism, hippies in the 60s, anti-war protests in the 70s, Berlin wall fell in the 80s, then in the 90s there was the velvet revolution that toppled communism. Democracies replaced dictatorships and billions of people learned about Freedom through the internet. The Arab spring further spread democracy while Western nations embraced GLBT rights. Viewed through the lens of a historian the world is actually mellowing out while freedom and democracy are emerging as clear winners.

I liked the book, but I found it much less engaging than 1984. Probably because 1984 creates a world that is so much easier to envision.

It was the book I choose for my english class. It was fun. My discussion team and I we're discussing government, economy, social order and the meaning of life while the people from the other teams were talking about their plan for the week-end.

I liked the book, but I found it much less engaging than 1984. Probably because 1984 creates a world that is so much easier to envision.

And it's just much, much better as a work of literature (which could be why it's easier to envision).

I hated to be force fed books in English class, so I didn't read it. There's a nice Iron Maiden song though

Top Bottom