Wagner's Ring Cycle
    Mahler's 2nd Symphony
    Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker
    Debussy's Claire de Lune
    Stravinsky's Rite of Spring
    Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue
    Philip Glass' Einstein on the Beach
    Adams' Harmonielehre

If those two are not included, the whole thing is not real :)

The was a book in Japan that is considered the first novel in history. I forget the name but if any literary work deserves to be in, it's this one.
Also

Sun Tzu's Art of War
Cantebury Tales
The Divine Comedy
Dante's Inferno
Poor Richard's Almanac
Emerson's Self-Reliance
Walden (specifically, the excerpt about the war between the ants :))
The Epic of Gilgamesh
Shakespeare's 18th Sonnet
Leaves of Grass
The Great Gatsby
Huck Finn would be nice, but unfortunately there are people that are too ignorant to see the significance of the book and see it as blatantly racist

For music, I'd love to see (or hear as the case may be) The Legend of Danny Boy

Some guesses at literary works:

Ancient Era: Epic of Gilgamesh
Classical Era: The Republic, The Art of War
Medieval Era: The Tale of Genji, Canterbury Tales
Renaissance: The Inferno (Technically Part I of The Divine Comedy)
Industrial: Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, The Raven,War and Peace
Modern:The Golden Bowl
Atomic: The Lord of the Rings, Murder on the Orient Express, I, Robot
Information:Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

As for visual arts, I can't imagine Michelangelo's David not being included, among numerous other works.

I'm confident that it's necessery to have among Great Musicians and their Masterpieces one of the most beutifull and recognizable gems of Russian Opera Art:
"Prince Igor" by Alexander Borodin. (Industrial Era)

Most of you likely heard it even thou you don't know you did. :3

Link to video.

Sorry for late respond, but I just went from it. Guys, It's beautiful! And I can't help from posting.

Also, speaking of music you can not pass by the
George Gershwin's "Porgy and Bess" or "Rhapsody in Blue" Most likely Industrial Era too.

Speaking of literature:
Philip Dick -- Does Androids Dream of Electro Sheeps
Stanislaw Lem -- Solaris

All of Atomic era.

Video art and Cartoons:
Japan:
Hayao Miyazaki -- Castle in the Sky (Atomic era)
Makoto Sinkai -- 5 Centimeter per second (Informational Era)
Russian:
Alexander Petrov -- The Old Man and the Sea (Atomic Era)

Classical Era: The Republic, The Art of War
I hate how "The Art of War" always overshadows "The Romance of The Three Kingdoms" or even "Journey to the West" in western society.

It's also sad to see that no one else except me has mentioned the "Ramayana". It's ridiculously influential in Southeast Asia. My Bahasa teacher even brought in a puppet of Sita the a few months ago. Everyone in my class was confused at who she was until we realised it was Nang Sida.

It's an epic (either national or just famous) of India/Nepal (Ramayana), Thailand (Ramakien), Cambodia (Reamker), Laos (Phra Lak Phra Lam), Burma (Yama Zatdaw), Malaysia (Hikayat Seri Rama) and Indonesia (Ramakavaca) all at once!

I hate how "The Art of War" always overshadows "The Romance of The Three Kingdoms" or even "Journey to the West" in western society.

Frankly I'm surprised if anybody from the West can name any piece of literature from outside of Europe and/or the Abrahamic religions (if we're counting religious texts such as the Bible and Koran as literature). Because of the fact they don't know any world literature, they always put European literature as great works of literature - and even then, they usually can only name literature from the most powerful and influential Western states, namely the USA, England, France, Germany, Russia, Rome, Greece (and I guess Italy too because of the Renaissance thing), so the literature from smaller Western states, or the Western states that don't have as much a relevance today but were once important (such as Portugal or Poland (lol Poland)), are also likewise unknown.

That said because of this it's understandable if the great works list is mainly Eurocentric, and even then focused mainly on literature and art from these very few
states, but I do hope they give some worldly representation. Three Kingdoms and Journey to the West are well-known across all of East Asia (and even parts of Central and Southeast Asia), so I'd be sorely disappointed if they are left out.

Frankly I'm surprised if anybody from the West can name any piece of literature from outside of Europe and/or the Abrahamic religions (if we're counting religious texts such as the Bible and Koran as literature). Because of the fact they don't know any world literature, they always put European literature as great works of literature - and even then, they usually can only name literature from the most powerful and influential Western states, namely the USA, England, France, Germany, Russia, Rome, Greece (and I guess Italy too because of the Renaissance thing), so the literature from smaller Western states, or the Western states that don't have as much a relevance today but were once important (such as Portugal or Poland (lol Poland)), are also likewise unknown.

That said because of this it's understandable if the great works list is mainly Eurocentric, and even then focused mainly on literature and art from these very few
states, but I do hope they give some worldly representation. Three Kingdoms and Journey to the West are well-known across all of East Asia (and even parts of Central and Southeast Asia), so I'd be sorely disappointed if they are left out.

Exactly. I bet 90% of the great works will be Western. Which is a dissapointment in my eyes. They should research long and hard about different great works all over the world.

Since many major game developers are Western in origin, a certain amount of ethnocentrism is inevitable. Also a factor is that the West has invested a large amount of resources into cultural diffusion. According to Wikipedia (not always the gold standard of accuracy, I know), the two most widely translated fiction authors are William Shakespeare and Agatha Christie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_fiction_authors

That said, inclusion of works that are obscure in the Western world would be appropriate for a game dedicated to representing world civilizations. The works I listed are just ones I think likely to appear; I'm sure some will be wrong and that there will be many more works than in my list. I'm thinking the split between Western and Eastern literature will be more like 60:40 rather than 90:10.

PAX has confirmed:

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Water Lilies by Claude Monet
Tower of Babel by Pieter Bruegel the Elder
In the Hall of the Mountain King from the Peer Gynt Suite by Edvard Grieg

PAX has confirmed:

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Water Lilies by Claude Monet
Tower of Babel by Pieter Bruegel the Elder
In the Hall of the Mountain King from the Peer Gynt Suite by Edvard Grieg

Thank you, I've been looking for a list of confirmed great works.

"If" by Rudyard Kipling being recited by Mr. Sheppard could soon find it's way onto my ipod!

They just explained how they chose the great works. It's what you would expect. Pieces throughout history that stood the test of time. They actually let their music department choose the music pieces they felt was most influential/important because those people were more qualified than they were.

They just explained how they chose the great works. It's what you would expect. Pieces throughout history that stood the test of time. They actually let their music department choose the music pieces they felt was most influential/important because those people were more qualified than they were.

What music department, though? I'd assume the one that follows the Western musical tradition. If so the chances of non-Western songs are nil, and even important modern songs outside of the Classical tradition would be unlikely - which is indeed a pity.

Top Bottom