Who here has the fastest turn times?

Itrade

Chieftain
View attachment 328147The idea here is to take one standard late game Diety save file of G&K without any of the DLC civs, then have everyone try it and post how long a turn takes. Ideally it'll be a marathon archipelago game so the oceans will be full of AI units moving about. A max amount of CSes and Civs would be nice, too, with a selection for peaceful leaders so everyone is still around. Also, ensuring that no proposals or denouncements or anything happens between turns would be good so there would be no need to factor those in.

I'm not at home right now so I can't upload a save, plus I don't have a game matching those criteria (yet), but I'll get on it ASAP if nobody else wants to give it a go.

Whoever has the fastest turn time can let us all know his specs and what settings he's running and anything else that might help us speed up our games.\

EDIT: All right, the save file is here and ready to go. Just fortify all the units and hit next turn.
EDIT 2: Okay, the Giant Earth save is up as well. It's more than twice as large as the first one, so use it if you think your computer can handle it.

Attachments

• Dutch Turn Time Test 12.7z
    3.2 MB · Views: 31
  • Speed_test.7z
    3 MB · Views: 26
I'm not sure but i think enabling quick movement does speed up turns. I may be wrong too just a feeling.

I'm willing to try it out (although I'll definitely will not have the fastest turn time).
What would be the best way to measure turn times?

It'll be interesting to see what hardware factors influences turn times. Sheer Mhz's? Amounts of memory? Something else?

Okay, I tried to set this one up and got a pretty good start with William. Plenty of marshes for polders, a nice river running by some cotton, plenty of crabs in the water, a fairly large island with room for expansion. Getting mining in a ruin was the icing on the cake. I beelined to Iron Working for Colossus, as is my strategy in archipelago maps. Somewhere along the line I noticed that I had only included 16 other civs. A little bit later someone beat me to Colossus by twenty-two turns, so I ragequit. It's a lot harder to get Colossus on Diety now that the other wonders aren't there to slow everybody down.

I'm going to start again, this time hand-picking the civs to ensure that Egypt, China, and India don't get in. I've noticed those guys are pretty big fans of Wonderspamming. If someone else is already in, then maybe it isn't so important.

Another option I've considered is setting the start age to the information age and turning off all the victories except for time. That way flight and fast-moving ships super-mobile ground units will all be available from the start, which should be a lot more taxing on our rigs. Ideally the longer the average turn time the better, because then the little things making a difference will add up to paint a clear picture of what's going on. I might actually run this map first and leave the original idea to someone else.

That sounds more expedient. I say go for an iterative approach. Get a save out there that folks can baseline against to throw results out.

Great idea, and should really help those of us on the fence about upgrading. I'm in the camp of upgrading isn't really worth it for me, even though I have a 6 year old system running XP.

I'd doubt an SSD would be of any influence to the turn times. It might help load up the game, but for turn times, I wouldn't see why?
I have almost the same exact computer as when I played Civ5 vanilla with the only change being an SSD. Turn times feel identical compared to a mechanical hdd.

Why do you care what wonders you get for a test save?

If I was going to run the game until the modern era where things really get hectic, I'd need to make sure I was still alive. Also I didn't want to be dead last the whole time, and Colossus helps a lot with that.

Huh, looks like starting in the information age makes things very weird. You start with five marines, three workers, two settlers, and three hundred turns to victory. You've also got enough culture to complete pretty much an entire tree, plus you get a full complement of spies which gives Elizabeth a crazy advantage.

I'm going to start over from the ancient era as Holland again.

Huh, looks like starting in the information age makes things very weird. You start with five marines, three workers, two settlers, and three hundred turns to victory. You've also got enough culture to complete pretty much an entire tree, plus you get a full complement of spies which gives Elizabeth a crazy advantage.

I'm going to start over from the ancient era as Holland again.

Why not just create a custom map from scratch in the world builder? That will be a whole lot easier to set up a control/testing map than to try and play one through and hope it ends up in a state that useable for testing.

Unless you just like playing CiV that much;).

Could I suggest you use a huge deity map, or at least a large one?

Because huge and large are where most people are having the problems. As I pointed out in this thread - http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=470985 - my standard map deity times are around 30 seconds, while my large map time is 90 seconds. BIg, big difference.

I'll definitely give it a go in anycase. Upload the save.

BTW, the thread I linked to, already contains a save game which I put out there so players could give me some relative results - unfortunately it's not base game- it requires Korean DLC and infoaddict.

Okay, I'm about three hundred turns in on this new game. One civ has already lost their capital. I'm stuck on an island with Monty, but a well-placed citadel and a very enthusiastic military CS have me keeping him at bay while I reap the rewards of a beelined Colossus. I'll upload the save once the majority of the opposing civs hit flight. Some of them are already getting ridiculously close to industrial, so it shouldn't be long.

Okay, I've uploaded the save file to the first post. We've lost a few CSes, but there are still 22 Civs alive. It took me almost exactly a minute to load that save.

I tried the save provided in the first post, but I get two diplo screens, and so it's impossible to accurately measure a turn time.
If you post another version without diplo screens I'll run the test again.

In the meanwhile, I provide another save. It's a very late game (after 2050) on the Giant Earth Map (180x94) from Gedemon's Yet (not) Another Earth Maps Pack. I just declared war on all other Civs an CSes, to avoid diplo screens.

My computer is composed of:
O.S.: Windows 7 Professional 64bit SP1
MB: Asus P8P67 Deluxe (Intel chipset: P67 B3 Revision)
CPU: Intel i5-2500K @3.3GHz
RAM: 8 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz
HD: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EARS
GPU: Asus EAH6950/2DI2S/2GD5 (AMD Radeon HD 6950 @ 810MHz, 2GB RAM)

It took me 1m 52.5s to pass one turn.

I plan to upgrade soon my PC with 16 GB RAM and a SSD. I'll post the new time as soon as upgraded.

Top Bottom