AI loves order?

lionheart04

Chieftain
In my recent game I was playing as the maya using ics and sacred site strategy in emperor and for some reason all the 11 ai chose order ideology:confused:. btw im the first in order because I traded all my gpt for some gold to rush buy the three factory starting industrial era.

It's because you're playing with 12 civs. Larger maps favor wider play styles, which makes Order more attractive. On standard maps you'll see a more even distribution.

It seems that my early tourism forced all the ai to chose order, I tried reloading a save file before I chose an ideology and this time i picked autocracy and all the ai follow suit. Too bad because I wanted to see rebellions in other civs :(

Order is typically the "safe" Ideology. While Autocracy is picked because you're in an iffy spot and need to get out with war, and Freedom hinges on you playing wise and sniping your way to a victory, Order is a bit of a middle ground, you pick it because it's solid and you're in a good place and you want to keep yourself there. The AI is neither good at making a comeback (beaten-down civs will typically just pick the ideology of the big Tourism giant rather than taking the risky Autocracy leap) nor at devising sneaky, drastic plans (Freedom has a flair for the dramatic and sudden surge of power), but it is good at maintaining a solid, stable empire that's fairly good around the board, which Order does best in. So thusly, they tend to pick Order most often, it's the moderate option that yields reliable results, and suits well to the AI's moderate playstyle. There's always exceptions: Zulu loves to pick Autocracy, and the resident diplo monster (usually Greece, Siam, Austria, or Sweden) will go Freedom since it's suited to solid diplo victories.

In my cases, most AI seems pick order or freedom, depending on whats the leaders have, as not to anger them. All the civs that chose autocracy would have done it regardless of their relations with anyone else, and its usually those who have declared several wars before, or have plans to(which the seems to put on hold indefinitely) In my last culture game, my tourism was strong enough to convert an autocracy civ into freedom, but that's the most conversion success I've had so far :/

i've experienced that the majority of AI picks Order, and why not. Order is the easily the best of the pack.

I just finished a game where I was the first to pick an ideology. I chose Freedom. Needless to say all the other AI's chose Order. This was on a standard map/size, prince level.

I eventually had to switch to order as the unhappiness was killing me.

In my current game, I was first again, and chose Freedom. And I got it passed in the world congress. There are a few AI with order and they are revolting, so that makes me feel all warm and cozy :lol:

I think the reason the AI tends to go Order so frequently is, as Gyra Solune observed, because it's the "safe" ideology Victory Condition-wise.
Now, if you (the player) are the first to adopt any (even a non-Order) ideology and you manage to get it passed as the World Ideology, AI civs will pretty much universally follow you; the same usually goes if you're the tourism leader or friends with most of the AIs.
Of course, the real question here is, how does Communism even emerge in-game, when Marx and Engels aren't Great Writers...?

In my cases, most AI seems pick order or freedom, depending on whats the leaders have, as not to anger them. All the civs that chose autocracy would have done it regardless of their relations with anyone else, and its usually those who have declared several wars before, or have plans to(which the seems to put on hold indefinitely) In my last culture game, my tourism was strong enough to convert an autocracy civ into freedom, but that's the most conversion success I've had so far :/

The only time I ever converted a civ to my ideology was in my last game as Venice. Ironically, I didn't even have any tourism on the communist Romans. In fact, they had two points of tourism on me; I pushed through Freedom as the World Ideology to circumvent this, which ended up putting Rome at -23 global happiness. He switched to Freedom immediately afterward, giving me the achievement despite not going for culture at all. :lol:

Didn't think that was even POSSIBLE on Immortal but there ya go.

I think the reason the AI tends to go Order so frequently is, as Gyra Solune observed, because it's the "safe" ideology Victory Condition-wise.
Now, if you (the player) are the first to adopt any (even a non-Order) ideology and you manage to get it passed as the World Ideology, AI civs will pretty much universally follow you; the same usually goes if you're the tourism leader or friends with most of the AIs.
Of course, the real question here is, how does Communism even emerge in-game, when Marx and Engels aren't Great Writers...?

That's often true in my games, but not always.

I've got a game in which I didn't have a huge tourism lead when I picked an ideology, yet the two next biggest civs (Elizabeth\William) that had guarded status with me and decent culture/tourism (Elizabeth actually had a small lead) and military followed me and picked Freedom despite the other two ideologies being unpicked (the DoF wasn't long in following). You"d think our combined tourism lead would have deterred the others, yet the smaller civs all split between Order and Autocracy (and after one was forced to switch to Freedom it snowballed and they fell in revolution wave one after the other),

In my current game I have a huge tourism lead, I had DoF with all but three of 13 civs while Hiawatha who had picked Order first had 6 denouncements and one DoF, and I got Freedom as WI passed before all but the Iroquois got to pick an ideology. Yet it split 3 civs for Freedom, 10 for Order and 1 for Autocracy.

In yet another game I had a tourism lead and good relations, but the civs split evenly between the three ideologies.

I see the bias toward Order too, but in one out of three games or so only. It seems to vary according to factors like maps, difficulty level, # of civs etc.

Order also has 2 34% tourism bonuses: the happiness one negates the ideology difference whilst the 34% bonus with other Order civs gives you a further boost for a cultural victory should everyone get Order. Then it's all a matter of boosting happiness, using open borders and trade routes and voila, a culture victory with up to 118% tourism bonus against less happier Order civs.

So it's not surprising that AI loves Order. Larger maps might also explain this too.

My current game didnt reflect the way I thought ideology pressure worked. I was the first to ideologies and picked my 2 free tenants in the freedom tree. I had more tourism than any other civ (200 versus their 30-60) Shortly after I picked mine my biggest rival, suleiman nabbed the 2 free tenants in order. He still only had like 65 tourism.

From this point forward all but two of the other civs picked order. Why not freedom?? I had so much more tourism. Does the AI take who they like and hate into consideration when picking ideologies? Would make sense for this game because my 3 good relationships broke down around this time. Its equally strange because while the 2 other civs took the 2 free tenant opportunities from autocracy, none would take the gamble to grab the free tenant remaining for freedom.

Remarkably ive been able to avoid any negative ideology pressure and am literally a turn from passing freedom as the world ideology. Even so I doubt that will make anyone else change ideologies probably just balance out the influence of 5 order civs.

I still dont get why they all went order though. I had the superior tourism even if theyd been buddies with sully the % modifier hed get for open borders wouldnt have given him more tourism than me. Either way I took the right policies to give me 60+ happiness a turn (playing on king) so IDC if i get influenced by other ideologies ill still have plenty of happiness.

Does the AI take who they like and hate into consideration when picking ideologies?

This does seem to be a factor, as in one of my games where I managed to be friends with most the civs, I picked freedom, and quite a fair few of them picked that too, with only a few choosing the others. One thing that seems to be affect it for some odd reason is the ideology of their neighbors, regardless of their relations. Maybe fear of a stronger civ next door hating them because of their choice might also have a factor in this?

This does seem to be a factor, as in one of my games where I managed to be friends with most the civs, I picked freedom, and quite a fair few of them picked that too, with only a few choosing the others. One thing that seems to be affect it for some odd reason is the ideology of their neighbors, regardless of their relations. Maybe fear of a stronger civ next door hating them because of their choice might also have a factor in this?

Someone did some digging in the XML and confirmed that the AI does take diplomatic relations into consideration. It weighs getting free tenants and its preferred victory condition more though, which is probably a good thing because one of the best things about ideologies is how it makes old friendships dissolve and turns the late game on its head.

In my current game, King, i added two civs on a standard world, Spain and Brazil. One of the random civs was also Spain, so i have two Spains. One of them chose Order and the other took Autocracy,

i've experienced that the majority of AI picks Order, and why not. Order is the easily the best of the pack.

In my current game on a large map, the majority of civs (Greece, Germany & myself) have chosen Autocracy. The rest of the 4 other civs are split between Order & Freedom. And interestingly enough, Germany has the tech lead despite the ideology, with myself in 2nd, while the two Freedom civs (Persia & Portugal) are waaaay behind.

In my current game the split is 25% Autocracy with myself adopting first with Zero tourism, Order 55% and 20% Freedom. The adoptions happened partly based on play styles and VC AI presumably are aiming for. Dido, Rome, Geghis and Izzy followed Assyria down the Autocracy route and towards world domination. Balkan and Asia Minor civs (Byz, Sully and Darius) followed Alex to Freedom and the rest of Europe piled behind Germany into Order.

So while Order does seem to be default choice, local pressures and conditions as well as AI chosen victory paths will have influence on the outcome.

In my games, the AI usually select Autocracy and Order (pretty much equal number), a few picks Freedom. That is a hoot-and-a-half to play that's for sure :)

Top Bottom