Civilization I - do you still...

I still play. It goes in phases. I'll play a few games this month, then forget about it for six months, then get a sudden urge to play it again. Been that way for 20 years or so.

I remember playing version II and the game Colonization many, many years ago and not really liking it. I have never tried or had much interest in trying the newer, more sophisticated versions of the game since. I guess I'm the type of person who likes having something simple and comforting from childhood I can do to kill time every now and then.

I agree with dark082's last post... one of the things I like about it is using my imagination a little bit. When a Phalanx beats a tank, my mind fills in it's own storyline.

I've been playing a lot the last couple of months. Before that it was many many years. I still love the tune it plays when you discover a tech as the Romans.

I've been playing a lot the last couple of months. Before that it was many many years. I still love the tune it plays when you discover a tech as the Romans.

Recently obtained an old copy of Civ1 and reinstalled it for the nostalgia, I highly recommend installing the MUNT Mt-32 roland synth emulator for windows and setting up dosbox to use it, we only had squeaky PC-speaker sound when I first played Civ as a kid, hearing that opening tune the way it was always meant to be heard almost brought tears to my eyes (the orchestral re-imagining from Civ4 actually did too)

Still have the old 4" floppys, the original box, manual, registration garbage, etc.
Kinda proud of that! :)

I play at least 8 games of Civ I a year. It's also the first one I recommend someone try when introducing them to the series.

A lot of people at my school (including me) play Civ 1, because it runs well on DosBox, which is available for ChromeOS.

I have Civ 1 on my Windows Phone, the controls are awful but if you persist in learning them then it's more fun than CivRev in my opinion. Especially if you played it back in the day. :)

Civ 1 is still better than newer CIVs in many aspects. Let me list some:

1) leader heads - much much better and more informative. Stalin with the cigarette smiling like a Cheshire Cat offering peace... Alexander with madness in his eyes with the sword threatening you with a war.. really scary. The background changed with the government so you instantly knew if Gandhi is a monarch or a president or if the civ is advanced enough. Also the number of advisers behind the back of a leader indicated the military power. In newer Civs we have silly, cartoony leaders so you feel like playing in the kindergarten.

2) City Screen! With people, buildings, wonders. You are feeling like playing a mix of a strategy/war and sim city game.

2) The music, very climatic. And the intro... OMG, beautiful.

3) Very simple but complex. Easy to learn, hard to master game.

4) Map is very clear. You can easily distinguish between forests, hills, plains, irrigation, roads... Units and cities perfectly visible on the map.

5) Technology.. You have a feeling of accomplishing something important when discovering f.e. robotics or industrialization. Same feeling when finishing a Wonder. And you got separate screen with a Sid :) it's very nice. Now, in new Civ iterations, I think either the tech tree is too complex or the game is too short. And the games are filled up with too many wonders: major, minor, local, global, natural... it's crazy...

6) Civil War! When you capture enemy capital there is some chance that the enemy empire will be torn apart and split between two civs. I don't remember this mechanism in newest Civs.

Do you still play Civilization I from time to time? Just for the sake of nostaliga? ...
No, not "just for the sake of nostaliga".
I play it because it's the only civ i want to play.

The latest installment of the series looks great, for sure (i did check some ***tube reviews),
but i simply don't have the time to grow a moon colony - and else.

The only game I still play.
... that's it. :dunno:

My first post on these forums I believe, despite reading them on & off over the years.

I haven't played Civilization games in recent years, as I found the latest versions were a bit overwhelming to me, compared to the earlier games, which seemed easier to get into. I really enjoyed Civ 2 when it was released, but have started playing Civ 1 again which I have found very addictive & enjoyable despite its limitations. Quite surprising how playable it is despite its age, as most game however good in their time usually date somewhat. In fact I am finding it more enjoyable than I did originally, before going on to Civ 2. I think I find it's more simplicity easier to get through, as I usually take awhile playing a game. Not very good I am afraid, & Prince level is about my standard.

I hope to have ago at Civ 2 again at one point, though might be awhile as I am enjoying the original game.

Top Bottom