Production and city rates go down alot?

VitruvianMan

Chieftain
I'm not sure if this is a bug, but I'm putting here in gen discussion for now.

When I'm playing BNW, I noticed that at some point when I'm producing a wonder or unit, the production and growth rate fluctuate very severely, and usually it shoots up production turns ALOT (One instance, I was building the oracle and when it had only 5 turns left, all of the sudden it goes up to 30 turns left and the city growth rate shoots up from 5 to 32). There weren't any barbarians and the happiness meter was a decent 6. Is this a bug? This is the first time I've actually notice this happening. Unfortunately, I can't put up any game files because I just quitted right after I noticed I can't even make a wonder or even a worker later.

Are you using the default city manager?
If so, don't, you will never get a good game from the default city manager

City manager will change around the tiles you are working a lot. So, when you're at 5 turns it means the city's working a mine or high production tile, then at 30 turns production and growth rate at 32 it's working a farm or high food tile instead of the high production.

Happened to me few weeks back as well while building Oracle; could have happened earlier as well but this it it caught my eye & did some testing by replaying.

'My' Oracle was due ~T82 and somehow AI build it on T83 so the initial reaction was cool, AI beats me again by one turn after which I noticed the T count and started thinking wft.

Reloaded the autosave from few turns before the start of the Oracle just to see that around T75 two turns were added to my building without any apparent reason; no changes in worked tiles, policies, GA - nothing. The result was the same in subsequent plays - AI beat me by one turn.
On next reload switched few tiles so my due date was T80 which later turned into T82 and AI managed to build it on T81. Surely possible for an AI to switch tiles as well but it seemed that AI really wants the wonder this time. Anyway, a couple more reloads and last time I went all out for hammers from the start and managed to build it on T77 as it was suppose to be ready.

Not much playing since so I can't say for sure if this has happened again but the conspiracy theorist in me sees it as just one of those things AI adjusts it's gameplay to be competitive and fails miserably.

Happened to me few weeks back as well while building Oracle; could have happened earlier as well but this it it caught my eye & did some testing by replaying.

'My' Oracle was due ~T82 and somehow AI build it on T83 so the initial reaction was cool, AI beats me again by one turn after which I noticed the T count and started thinking wft.

Reloaded the autosave from few turns before the start of the Oracle just to see that around T75 two turns were added to my building without any apparent reason; no changes in worked tiles, policies, GA - nothing. The result was the same in subsequent plays - AI beat me by one turn.
On next reload switched few tiles so my due date was T80 which later turned into T82 and AI managed to build it on T81. Surely possible for an AI to switch tiles as well but it seemed that AI really wants the wonder this time. Anyway, a couple more reloads and last time I went all out for hammers from the start and managed to build it on T77 as it was suppose to be ready.

Not much playing since so I can't say for sure if this has happened again but the conspiracy theorist in me sees it as just one of those things AI adjusts it's gameplay to be competitive and fails miserably.

The only time I ever see a change in finish times when I manually control all my citizens is when I finish a golden age, or when a barb stands on one of my mines or food tiles.

I have had the experience though with the AI "mysteriously" finishing a wonder exactly 1 turn before me even when I reload saves and adjust my build times, and I have had this happen before spies are spawned. Just another one of those mysterious things only the AI can do, like converting my city and moving in the same turn

The only time I ever see a change in finish times when I manually control all my citizens is when I finish a golden age, or when a barb stands on one of my mines or food tiles.

Yeah, was a novelty to me, too as none of those things happened in any of the replays and as far as I can remember the only relevant number changing in the process was the # of turns left until completion.

More than getting pissed about this new form cheat/bug/whatever in particular I was interested in if it'd happen again and if so could it be used as an indicator of an AI building the same wonder on similar schedule.

All you really need to do is click "emphasize production" in the city manager. It's not necessary to manually control your citizens (though if you do you'll have even more control). For example, sometimes I'll manually put a city into a negative food state in order to finish a wonder as quickly as possible.

Are you using the default city manager?
If so, don't, you will never get a good game from the default city manager

I'm not sure, I don't think so because I never fiddled around with what goes on in the city, beside to buy stuff (even that's done through the production menu). How can I check?

Can you upload a save before and after the fluctuation? This is important to figure out if there's a mysterious new mechanism.

To avoid missing the occurence, you could turn on Autosaves, with saves every turn.

Can you upload a save before and after the fluctuation? This is important to figure out if there's a mysterious new mechanism.

To avoid missing the occurence, you could turn on Autosaves, with saves every turn.

As I had stated before, I never saved the game and there aren't any autosaves available to post up. Up to this point, I can probably try again, but I'm willing to find out if there's some option I inadvertantly selected.

Updates: I'm not sure if this is somewhat of a preceding sign of this "bug" or part of BNW, but there was some weird option that popped up when I discovered a ruin; it showed all the possible rewards and you can pick which one you want. I should also mention I am not running any mods, it was a standard "play it now" game.

As I had stated before, I never saved the game and there aren't any autosaves available to post up. Up to this point, I can probably try again, but I'm willing to find out if there's some option I inadvertantly selected.

Updates: I'm not sure if this is somewhat of a preceding sign of this "bug" or part of BNW, but there was some weird option that popped up when I discovered a ruin; it showed all the possible rewards and you can pick which one you want. I should also mention I am not running any mods, it was a standard "play it now" game.

You are playing the Shoshone and that is their unique ability, they can chose what they want from a ruin, but you can't chose the same thing until chosen two other things. For example, you first chose population, then you chose culture, then you chose a unit upgrade, then you can chose population again.

I am sure your finish time fluctuation is being causes by the default city manager.

This happens for some unknown reason. I was producing in one of my cities the statue of liberty and the turns to completion rose from 7 to 8 even while I had production emphasis on. I had to manage the tiles manually to put the citizens back to their original position so that the turns to completion could come back down to 7.

Same thing! Ai beats by 1 turn. Production changes even though i dont recall building new tiles.
So now whenever i want wonders, either i build my military up and invade those with wonders, or i use the great engineer.

I ended up getting cultural victory with half of the wonders in the later eras since i invaded Thebes Paris and Rio, which have all the wonders. Of course i did focus on tourism etc in the industrial era

Not a single one of you thought to save the game and post it here? Having it on production focus still doesn't prevent the city from shifting it's tiles, as it can choose to switch for more food/production/gold depending on your progress to next citizen/unhappiness/improved gold yield from golden age or improvement.

Some of you should have the saves, as you told you reloaded to see if the AI would still beat you.

The only way to keep the tiles from moving is by placing them manually and a locker shows up.

Other options:
First, potential explanations for similar circumstances, though probably not this one:
Too many units (check your F3, left-side column); Unhappiness (-2% production per unhappy).

Second, an alternate method for maintaining high production if manually assigning workforce is too much trouble:
In addition to setting production priority, also set 'Avoid Growth.' And remember to unset it when the construction is finished. :lol:
I'll occasionally use this method, especially in late-game when there are just TOO many workers to manually assign.

I'm not sure, I don't think so because I never fiddled around with what goes on in the city, beside to buy stuff (even that's done through the production menu). How can I check?

Because it's the default. If you didn't change anything the city governor is in charge, and the tiles get swapped about all the time.
I think you should experiment with citizen placement, it tought me a bunch about getting the best out of my cities (I'm still learning but I think I make a decent fist of it now). It's really useful for two things:

1. controlling/maintaining/maximising the city growth/production
2. managing tiles that could be worked by more than one of your cities

Also, I don't recommend building early-game wonders unless you're playing on the comfy levels - the first wonder I attempt is Brandenburg (before that I don't build, I ahem occupy).

edit: Sorry, to be clear I meant World wonders.

Top Bottom