Napoleonica: Artillery pack part 1

imperator1961

Last of the Mohicans
Here my new pack of Napoleonic Artillery units.
From left to right:

Austrian Foot Artillery, Austrian Horse Artillery, British Foot Artillery, British Horse Artillery, British Rocket Team, French Foot Artillery, French Horse Artillery, Russian Foot Artillery, Russian Horse Artillery.

And the previews:

Download:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Very nice - and as usual: historically accurate! :goodjob:
Even the brown uniforms for the Austrians...

You'll do some Prussians as well I presume? ;)

Very nice - and as usual: historically accurate! :goodjob:
Even the brown uniforms for the Austrians...

You'll do some Prussians as well I presume? ;)

Yes, the in the next pack I will add Prussians, Bavarians, Italians and the others civs to match the same civs of the Napoleonic pack made by Sandris.:)

Looking very good, I hope they aren't too large in game. Will there be a "generic" one as well?

Looking very good, I hope they aren't too large in game. Will there be a "generic" one as well?

Good idea, in the next pack I will add a "generic" artillery unit (foot and horse of course...);)

Yes, the in the next pack I will add Prussians, Bavarians, Italians and the others civs to match the same civs of the Napoleonic pack made by Sandris.:)
And Saxons, Dutch, Danes, Swedish, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, Neapolitans, Ottomans..

12 countries x 2 types (foot - horse) = 24 units

A small pack :D

Wow, so much detail and such complex units. Very good work on these!:goodjob::)

There may be a small problem with your units. They expand quite far outside of their own tile.

I'll test in game ASAP, but I'm afraid they will overlap a lot adjacent units.

Also, I like the idea of the pedia icons for Austria, with the foot artillery on foot, and the horse artillery, well on horse.

Why didn't you use the same for the other nations?

I was right to be wary...

Although your units look very nice individually, they are not usable in game, as they are really too big.

Here, the artillery and the grenadier / cavalry at the bottom are overlapping.

And here, you have the impression the city of Brussels is occupied by the artillery, when it is in fact on the NW.

Actually, one of your artillery unit is spread on 4 tiles : the one where it should be, the one on the right, and the one behind!

Before it's usable in game, I think you should :
- Keep the run as it is for horse artillery, there it's not a problem if it overlaps a little.
- Change the other animation, to remove the horses and the cart, keep only the gun and the crew. For foot artillery, completly forget the horse, just have the guys push the gun a little. Change a bit the offset so they guy behind the gun is more centered (and the gun is not exactly in the center, but a bit forward).

Or alternativly, reduce a bit the scale of the whole unit until it fits better in a tile, but then it won't fit in the tile.

I'm sorry for the cold shower to your enthusiasm, but really it's difficult to use your unit as it is. It's really too big.

That's partly why I suggest that you send me some sample to review before you commit too much time to several units.

I think when making a new type of animation, artists should always make one of them fully, test it in game, and after it has been thoroughly tested, start making more units.

Don't rush things.

Here is a comparison of 3 of your artillery units.

The 18c French fits in a tile. However, it's a bit small, and the animation are not perfect ("jump" with the run).

The Venetian has a better scale, while still fitting in the tile. And the animation is better. However, it remains in the tile when facing S, not when facing N!

The French Napoleonic is way too big.

I think the best would be to work on the Venetian basis for the scale, forget about horse artillery, it's simply not possible at civ scale (or just use them in the run, although it means "jumping" from ana animation to another). Use only two crew member. Rework a bit the centering to be sure it fits better in the tile from any direction.

Top Bottom