Ok Noob here with some questions

Antmf

Chieftain
Where do I begin? lol... Ok I am very new to Civ 5 and haven't played Civ 4 in a couple of years so this is all new to me. Can anyone guide me in the right direction as far as a build order? And which Civ I should play to start off with? When I play I start out ok but then get overwhelmed when it comes to what to build next, and what I should research etc. I also get crazy when I need to build another settler. I don't know when to build one and once I do I am not sure what place on the map is the best place to start a second city. So if anyone can shed some light on this I would appreciate it. I really want to get good and put a lot of time into this game and not put it down due to me getting overwhelmed and discouraged. Thanks guys...

So many questions. Let me take a stab at a few.

A common build order in your capital will be scout (scouting is critical, for a host of reasons), monument, shrine (if you have G&K and want a pantheon). From that point, your choices will vary. Many will start on a worker at that point, while others will aim to buy a worker (with ancient ruins gold, CS meeting gold, CS bullying gold and/or gpt-for-gold loans from the AI) or steal a worker from a CS, and instead build a granary or a second scout (particularly on a larger map), another warrior or an archer. Building a settler is usually delayed until your capital is at 4 or 5 population; your capital stagnates while building a settler, so you want enough citizens working tiles to make the settler production/stagnatin time as short as possible.

For second city locations, preferences vary widely, but you will generally want to find a location that has at least one new type of luxury resource (your founded city costs 3 happiness for the city and 1 happiness for each citizen, so a new luxury that provides 4 happiness essentially "pays" for the happiness hit of founding an additional city), good food supplies (at least one "extra" food tile -- food in exceess of 2 food per tile), and at least decent production capacity (a couple of hills that can be mined or forests (for chopping or for lumbermills)), and preferably on a river (fror the gold income) -- not every city can have all of these features, but they scratch the main itches of a new city -- happiness, growth, production and income.

When you found a city, keep defense in mind. Don't settle too far from your capital (stay within, say, 3-4 turns of warrior/archer movement), don't settle in the face of an AI civ (even if the location is sweet--dealing with a DOW can rob that new city of much of its joy) and try to settle behind rivers and on hills (if I only have a choice between behind a river or on a hill on the other side of the river, I'll usually take the hill).

I would also advise that you watch some Let's Play videos (check the Stories and Let's Plays section of these forums or YouTube) and browse these forums -- you'll learn a lot, and pretty quickly.

Thanks for the reply, but I have a few more questions. I was playing before and a CS wanted spice and they said to set up a trade route but how do I set up a trade route for them to get it? And then my capital wanted salt but i don't see it where I am anywhere on map how do I find it and get it to my capital? Thanks...

Thanks for the reply, but I have a few more questions. I was playing before and a CS wanted spice and they said to set up a trade route but how do I set up a trade route for them to get it? And then my capital wanted salt but i don't see it where I am anywhere on map how do I find it and get it to my capital? Thanks...

You just need to acquire the luxury the CS or your city wants.

If the AI has an extra, you can trade for it, or buy it. (240g, normal speed)
Or if they don't have it, you can see if another CS has it.
Whether it's worth allying with another CS for it though is hard to say.

And if you cannot get it within reasonable financial range sometimes the only way is to capture it via war or settle a city in a ******ed location.

So sometimes it's best to ignore those CS quests or city requests.

Top Bottom