have you beaten deity?

norman1994civ5

Chieftain
I was wondering how many of you guys have beaten Deity? because I have heard that there is very few people that can beat it. So tell me if you have beaten if and if you havent tell me what is the highest difficulty level that you have beaten. here is a lets play that i am playing right now on standard difficulty and i am crushing so what difficulty level do you think i should go to next?

thanks.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4RSvCjlLZA&feature=g-upl

Do you mean prince when you say "standard"?

There's a massive difference going from prince to deity. Enormous.

I can win at an Immortal level, though the perfect difficulty for me would be between Emperor and Immortal.
I've yet to legitimately win at deity as quite frankly, i don't enjoy it. The only time i was close i lost a science victory by two turns. I don't think i've ever played deity since.
All other times i've abandoned the game long before the end.

The bonuses the AI gets are just insane at that level.

I have beaten Deity once (Maya, science) and could probably beat it more often if I tried, but I prefer Immortal, which is much more fun for me. Deity isn't impossible, but sometimes it seems so impossible that it isn't even fun. Immortal is still quite difficult but doesn't seem like I need some luck to win. As the poster above said, the Deity AI bonuses are ridiculous and makes the game just not fun to play. The only reason I even beat Deity was to be able to tell myself I could - now that I've gotten over that hump, I see no reason to return to that suicide-provoking difficulty.

The highest difficulty I have ever beaten was before Gods and Kings, I could beat the game on Emperor with some blood sweat and tears haha. Then i took a break and when i came back i wasn't as good so now I can beat it at king. It is a massive jump from Prince to Deity, and I wouldn't even try it for comedy purposes, so I suppose i would say at most go from Prince to Emperor. either way, good luck :crazyeye:

While what everyone in here said is mostly true, I find it fun to play even if I can't win every game. You'll learn ways to mess about the with AIs diplomatically, learn the tells and really learn how to curve and control runaways.

I've gotten losses where I was within 10 turns of another victory.. I've had runaways pop up that I had to throw in the towel because they were too large by the time I even met them. It's frustrating don't get me wrong, but playing on a difficulty where I almost always win isn't nearly as fun as scraping a Deity win.

Do you mean prince when you say "standard"?

There's a massive difference going from prince to deity. Enormous.

I beleive the standard difficulty level is king and that is what i am playing now. I have beaten emperor before though. just havent beaten immortal or deity yet.

Diety is Not too bad with a nice babylon start, or a keshik rush.

However i (personally) dont play it hardly at all, i play for fun, and that means immortal, diety is a chore compared to immortals fun.

No. Standard diff. is called 'Prince".

I looked through your video. Think Emperor will still be in your comfort zone, looking at turn times. Immortal is a big leap, where you should be about to win @ t.300 or earlier.

Did many people beat Deity? Yes, many people did beat Deity.

I've beaten Diety, but not legitimately, just a duel pangea experiment to see if I could. I dont enjoy Diety games. My comfort zone is level 6 (Emperor?). I get just the right amount of challenge and enjoyment at that level.

I beat it once before G&K, but now my achievements say I never done it. It was a cheesy map though, the first time, so I just have to find another cheesy one. :)

Play normal deity and it's almost impossible to fend for yourself, it's luck by starting position.

But I enjoy Immortal more.

I beat deity culturally and science, but in a cheesy way: Archipelago maps :). So I wouldn't really count me among the "I have beaten deity" crowd. Once I don't have to worry about insane rushes and my own military, I do quite well as I am good at playing peacefully and prioritizing cultural or scientific buildings/policies and so on.

I agree with what most posters above me said. Deity is more of a chore than a game. For some it might be less so, but I find it extremely tiring. So I play immortal usually or lately emperor as I grow lazy. As ense7en said, something between emperor and immortal would be great for me since right now emperor is a stroll in the park and immortal I do need to pay quite some attention which I don't always do.

Never tried anything higher than Emperor. I think pre-patch I could have moved up to Immortal, but for now I've gone back to King to re-learn how the AI works :lol:

The last time I played prince was in 2010 when the game came out. The only reason I play this today is because of the decent challenge deity offers, I think it's the standard difficulty once you understand the game mechanics and decide to play strategically. I find the A.I too easy on deity to win domination, my current challenge is winning scientific victory on deity before 1800. I always play on Pangaea to eliminate run away A.I and luck spawns.

I play deity all the time, it's the only the real challenge.

When CiV came out, deity was easy. I went from being a noble player on CIV BTS to diety on CiV within 2 weeks. A simple horseman rush was all that was required.

Horses were nerfed, so deity became a swordsman rush. Slightly harder but still easier than whatever level 6 is in CIV.

Swords were nerfed for G&K so now deity is a ranged game; archers, CB, crossbows reign supreme - still manageable for this old warrior but somehow I still know I'm not a real deity player.

I've played only one game of CIV BTS since CiV came out - I have no desire to go back to it but I wish CiV was more involving.

i have beaten diety, I can do it in several ways but I cant do it with every start and perhaps not with every civ. There is situations where Civ 5 is unbeatable. And I think that is fine in a game where there is a lot of random elements. I usually play on immortal after G&K, a bit more fun than deity as I usually decide on a playstyle before I start a game (perhaps try to get a desert location and go for a fantastic petra city or something like that) and that is often a bit too hard on diety that requires you to play very focused.

I beat a few diety games of vanilla civ, but I have yet to even win on emperorer in G&K.

Beat deity on a duel map. Dunno if that really qualifies.

I mostly play Civ4 because I find it more fun. Recently checked my Civ5 save folder, hadn't played it since end of June. Just started a deity huge duel to see what happens.

You should dip your toes into the deity waters every once in a while, give it a chance, games usually are not that long.

Remember you're asking a civ forum, so you'll probably end up with more yes than is representative. As for me, yes i can usually do sp deity, but I like to play immortal, where I can mess around and try new strategy ideas without having to worry about screwing up and it costing me the game.

Top Bottom