The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know America isn't the only one with a big military, but we do have the biggest. Russia would hand over Snowden if they thought we would respond with war. China's military is relatively new, badly trained and their country would have food shortages if we stopped selling food to them. Not to mention that they have no nuclear arms at their disposal, whereas we have many.

I'm not saying the US military is unstoppable, but I feel it would win a war versus any two countries. (Especially if we got our allies involved. I'm pretty sure Canada wants to keep the status quo on their borders.)

EDIT: I meant to quote in reply. This is to Atreju.

Aaaaahm China DOES have nukes.In the nuclear non proliferation America even aggrees they may have them.That the world speaks mostly ENGLISH is not thanks to America.That's not gunboat diplomacy at all, baby....

Diplomatically speaking, the head of the United Nations General Assembly is Serbian. Belgrade I think takes that.

By Domination: England, Rome, Monglia have all come pretty close. Napoleon and Hitler both had a lot of in game capitals too.

Nobody is even thinking about Alpha Centauri yet so that either goes to America/Russia or hasn't happened yet.

More people visit France than any other country, America earn the most money from tourism while CHina spend most so Cultural could go to any.

Time I think is the only one left. I think we can rule out Babylon/Assyria/Carthage/Aztecs/Inca/Maya but most other destroyed civs still exist one way or another.

If we're talking about the American military then it is probably the strongest in the world although Russia/China is bigger in numbers; Britain/France is probably better trained and Japan is probably better technologically speaking.

Oh the US definitely has the strongest military, i just think people under-estimate the difficulty in projecting the force and invading far from home without a close by base-the huge logistical challenge

As an example- in 1982 the falklands were invaded by a weak power (argentina)

At the time the royal navy was in terms of support ships etc the clear second strongest nation.

Yet it was a damn close run...and without the huge gulf in troop quality (paras, royal marines and ghurkas vs conscripts!) would have gone the other way

.in fact documents released after the conflict show that american intelligence considered it 'undoable' with the forces at our disposal..

Actually, France is getting the cultural victory right now.
Why? I'm not American and I watch plenty of Hollywood movies and listen to pop songs from America. Most of the content I read on the Internet is produced by Americans. I don't watch French movies or listen to French music.

Why? I'm not American and I watch plenty of Hollywood movies and listen to pop songs from America. Most of the content I read on the Internet is produced by Americans. I don't watch French movies or listen to French music.

That's not tourism. France is getting about 82 million tourist per year whilst the US is getting about 67 million tourist per year.

That's not tourism. France is getting about 82 million tourist per year whilst the US is getting about 67 million tourist per year.
I don't see BNW's concept of "tourism" to simply mean tourist arrivals. Rather, it is a metaphor for a civ's culture spreading abroad to other civs. When your civ's cultural influence ("tourism") is so strong that it overwhelms the culture of all other civs, you win the cultural victory. That's why when the civs complain to you about your tourism, they talk about their people wearing your blue jeans and listening to your pop music, and not about how everyone in their country wants to travel to yours.

It is also why wonders don't generate tourism, but great works of art, music and writings do, when in the real world it is the opposite - people (usually) travel to see things like the Great Wall or the Pyramids, and not to see a country's libraries or opera houses.

Time is probably the one that is closest.... China is probably best on that
(China has land ~ US or Canada.. Russia has more land but very low pop)
China also has nearly the most pop ~ india,... but india doesn't have the land.

Wonders and techs may figure in.

Arguments can be made for diplomatic or cultural victory for America (probably not cultural.. China's Firewall is slowing our Internet.. but Diplomatic doesn't need all civs to agree. (and we do have host points)

I think they are miles ahead in terms of pure power..

As far as using that power to expand though, historically france, germany, UK

And as far as humiliating victims goes...just read up on the shortest war..pay attention to the bit in bold!! :lol:

___
The Anglo-Zanzibar War was fought between the United Kingdom and Zanzibar on 27 August 1896. With a duration of only 45 minutes, it holds the record of being the shortest war in recorded history. The war broke out after Sultan Hamad bin Thuwaini, who had willingly co-operated with the British colonial administration, died on 25 August 1896, and his nephew, Khalid bin Bargash, seized power in what amounted to a coup d’état. The British favoured another candidate, Hamud bin Muhammed, whom they believed would be easier to work with, and delivered an ultimatum ordering Bargash to abdicate. Bargash refused. While Bargash’s troops set to fortifying the palace, the Royal Navy assembled five warships in the harbour in front of the palace. The British also landed parties of Royal Marines to support the “loyalist” regular army of Zanzibar. Despite the Sultan’s last-minute efforts to negotiate for peace via the U.S. representative on the island, the Royal Navy ships opened fire on the palace at 9 am on 27 August 1896 as soon as the ultimatum ran out. With the palace falling down around him and escalating casualties, Bargash beat a hasty retreat to the German consulate where he was granted asylum. The shelling stopped after 45 minutes. The British demanded that the Germans surrender the erstwhile Sultan to them, but he escaped to sea on 2 October 1896. He lived in exile in Dar es Salaam until captured by the British in 1916. He was later allowed to live in Mombasa where he died in 1927. As a final act, Britain demanded payment from the Zanzibar government to pay for the shells fired on the country.

As I expected, there`s no definitive HONEST real-world answer to these kind of questions, and as usual, it seems to be getting polarised. IBTL.

No one has won Time, how is that possible? We can`t know that until the end of time can we?

Also, Domination, that`s in dispute. One could have once said the Romans, then again, the British, plus a few other Empires that spread pretty far out once. And there`s likely more after America.
Culture again is in dispute: What about italy?

Some of these artificial goals in Civ 5 can`t truly represent reality. It`s gamey goals for games, not real life. This is why I actually ignore them and Play On. the only time I actually stop is when my Civ is wiped out- Now that has indeed happened to many Civs in real life- that`s when you really LOSE.

What about Greece, they're basically fundamental for the foundations of Europe as a whole.

Which ever nations last until 2025. We know for a fact that the Shoshone (not reservations), Iroquois (not reservations), Aztecs (not Mexico), Huns (not Hungary), Celts (not Scotland), Mayans (not Yucatan), Incas (not Peru), Romans (not Italy), Carthaginians (not Tunisia), Assyrians (not Syria), Babylonians (not Iraq), Byzantines (not Bosporus Strait peoples), Zulus (not South Africa), Venetians (not Venice), and Songhai (not Mali) won't win a time victory since their nation is destroyed

But maybe a civilization frees their capitals and at the right there will be notifications that these countries have recovered their capitals?

Culture - France gets a lot of tourists as a country, but the world's two most visited cites are Bangkok and London, by a decent margin. In terms of 'blue jeans and pop music', it's got to be America, with a little bit of England thrown in for the beatles, stones, and everything up to the repulsive one direction (ugh!). Oh yeah, and the language.

Military - Probably Mongolia if anyone, though England, Greece and Assyria deserve shouts too.

Science - Still waiting on getting to AC.

Time - 12 more years.......

Diplomacy - atm America is the closest, but falls a little short due to the relatively comparable power of the EU as a whole, and the increasing influence of the far east. Historically I might give this one to England again, as no-one has ever been able to control such a large populace with such a small native population. Much of the control exerted over the colonies was more due to shrewd diplomacy than technological advantage over the other competing powers of the day (France, Spain, Portugal, the Dutch etc.).

^^ mongolia is a good choice,

if we look at domination, according to wikipedia (not always reliable i know!) the persian empire held 44% of the worlds population!!!!

so...iran?

Culture - France gets a lot of tourists as a country, but the world's two most visited cites are Bangkok and London, by a decent margin. In terms of 'blue jeans and pop music', it's got to be America, with a little bit of England thrown in for the beatles, stones, and everything up to the repulsive one direction (ugh!). Oh yeah, and the language.

Rock n' roll is an American invention that the British were able to steal for a little while because they were a little bit less racist. The Stones don't exist without Chuck Berry.

And yet the War on Terror is still raging; over 1 million US troops vs about 10k terrorist groups over the last decade

The 'war on terror' is more akin to us stomping all the cockroaches in sight to death, only to have more crawl out of no where. The US is unwilling to fumigate, so we're just stomping cockroaches.

As to the various facts I'm wrong on: I'm human. I actually didn't know China had nukes, are they any good, or still much less advanced than the US nukes?

I'm happy to see so many posts, this thread is getting pretty interesting. I actually laughed a bit on that bit about the 45 minute war.

The 'war on terror' is more akin to us stomping all the cockroaches in sight to death, only to have more crawl out of no where. The US is unwilling to fumigate, so we're just stomping cockroaches.

As to the various facts I'm wrong on: I'm human. I actually didn't know China had nukes, are they any good, or still much less advanced than the US nukes?

I'm happy to see so many posts, this thread is getting pretty interesting. I actually laughed a bit on that bit about the 45 minute war.

I wasnt trying to critisise mate regarding the nukes

as for the 'quality' of their nukes, well they can destroy any continent and are intercontinental which i guess is all that matters

Im not going to get into the wars in aghanistan and iraq though ;)

Time would be Egypt for the fact that it's still around as a state.

To give you a scale of its history, When Cleopatra VII was ruling Egypt, the events around the building of the Pyramids would have been to her, like the events of the early Roman Republic is to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom