Need Help Understanding Ideology Pressure

Yzman

Deity
How exactly is it determined who receives unhappiness from another ideology? I THOUGHT it was a direct comparison of tourism, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Currently I have 100 something tourism and Siam has 82 I believe. We are the only ones who have an ideology right now. I choose Freedom and they choose Autocracy. They were beating me most of the time with tourism so I wasn't surprised when I saw that I was getting -12 unhappiness from pressure. However, I recently PASSED them in tourism output ( the number on the cultural victory page to the left of where it says content, dissidents etc) and I am still getting the unhappiness. Is it based off of TOTAL tourism and not just current production?

Any helps. Thanks.

I thought it was based on empire happiness. If your empire's happiness was less happy than theirs, your people will see that they could be happier with that other ideology?

It is based on influence.

If you have more influence with a civ then they have with you, you exert ideology pressure.
You can exert more pressure the larger the influence gap is.
Two civs exerting pressure for the same ideology(against the same civ) add their pressure.

EDIT:: influence is tourism VS. culture.

Even if you produce more tourism than another civ, if they out culture you, they can out influence you. Tourism can also be modified from its base value by things like diplomats, open borders and sharing a religion.

Ah I see, so it is a bit misleading on the tooltip by showing you the tourism that is currently being generated in that until I am more influential over them then they are of me, I will always have problems.

Dang Siam. They are runaway this game, hope I can still pull the space race victory because Poland Can Into Space!

My guess is that it works like this:

As you generate Tourism, you reach certain levels vs. other civs culture.

10% = Exotic.
30% = Familiar.
etc.

Each of those levels gives you one influence "token" toward your ideology for that civ.

Now to figure out unhappiness of a particular civ, first you look at which civilization has the most influence over them. Look at how many tokens that ideology has from ALL civilizations and subtract away the number of tokens that civ has against each opponent. If there are tokens remaining, then the civ gets an unhappiness penalty.

One token of unhappiness is -1 per 10 population or -1 per city (whichever is greater). Don't know about more than that yet.

Has anyone been able to get an AI to switch ideologies?

Morocco is currently at -35 now with freedom as the preferred instead of his order.

I really want him to "tear down this wall" ;)

What about city flipping. Has anyone seen that happen yet either?

Alright I got Siam to change Ideologies, unfortunately they weren't the one I wanted( they were autocratic)! Its actually when their "total happiness" goes below -20 that they will lose cities to revolt or change ideologies, not the ideology happiness.

Now to just figure out how to get Morocco very unhappy.

Yes. France lost a big city to me but I knew it would mean war so I took all the great works of art and traded it back to him. The next turn he changed from Autocracy to Order (which caused him to flip) and praised me for my ideology....lol.......thought I was reading Orwell's 1984 for a second.

Zulu was spamming cities and attacking me non-stop. So I eventually imposed the Standing Army Tax.

Shaka's economy started to cripple (it was already mediocre to start with) and Morocco city-flipped one of his cities really late in the game

Just the one though

Top Bottom