Race for Religion!

Race for Religion use to (back in the G&K days) have a follower belief that provided faith from Trading Posts but the current version does not have any belief that does. Assuming you aren't accidentally using the G&Ks version of Race for Religion than it is likely this is 1) caused by another mod or 2) something caused a file in Race for Religion to abort and it didn't change a belief.

Are you using other mods and do they change beliefs at all? If so, it is likely that that mod and Race for Religion are clobbering each other (overwriting each other's changes).

If you've enabled logging, could you provide your database.log? It may indicate what is happening. (Let me know if you need help finding it).

Lastly, if you want to identify exactly what is happening you could get sqlite manager (a plug in for firefox/your browser of choice) and take a look at the "Belief_ImprovementYieldChange" table in the civ 5 debug database after you've enabled all your mods. This will show you exactly which beliefs provide boosts to trading posts.

I believe CEP does change beliefs which would cause clobbering. If you disable all the changes CEP makes to beliefs and the religion system (such as pantheon costs) than you can play with Race for Religion functioning correctly. I believe CEP compartmentalizes everything in a "beliefs" folder, so all you would need to do is change the name of that folder.

Mod concept looks really nice; I like how every pantheon generates faith, as I find it hard to found a religion in a timely manner if I don't pick a faith-generating pantheon.

Though I am concerned about Heathen Conversion. I play with another mod that makes it a founder belief, and I think it may be too powerful (I end up with so many recruits that my economy suffers, but that probably just shows how overpowered it can be if I managed it right). Additionally, the way the game implements it seems to suffer from some bugs, e.g. converting workers and settlers outright rather than capturing them (giving the option to release them to the original civ/city state), swordsmen don't require iron, and most egregiously, being able to convert those rebels that spawn when you have high unhappiness; so I think it'd be best if it was replaced with another belief altogether.

Hi man,

Quiet interesting mod 4 sure.
Yet ,can you upload the BLOUBLOU's bonus belief which so far only Byzantines have?or this is featured within your mod already?

Race for Religion does not given every player the ability to pick a bonus belief (Byzantine style) but should work correctly if you use it in combination with another mod that provides that. (Be aware that the known issue with Byzantine and religion spread distances will apply to any civilization that can take a bonus belief).

Race for Religion does not given every player the ability to pick a bonus belief (Byzantine style) but should work correctly if you use it in combination with another mod that provides that. (Be aware that the known issue with Byzantine and religion spread distances will apply to any civilization that can take a bonus belief).

Dear friend,

The question was "if"you can upload the bonus belief mod-if this is not included in your mod.I believe the bonus belief is essential to that kind of mod,your mod i mean.
So,the question is:can you upload it cause i dont want to mess with steam,and,if you cant upload it,just please tell me what should i do in the xml in order to make the bonus belief available to all civs?
thx in advance for your time.

Are you talking about this mod? You can subscribe to it via the workshop (I know you said you didn't want to deal with this) and it will download and unzip automatically. I do not know off hand an alternative location where you could download it, since the author does not list an alternative download location. I can see about grabbing it later today but I would rather help you get comfortable with the workshop (following the cliche "give a fish vs teach fishing").

As for replicating the effect, it wouldn't be too hard. A SQL statement to update the traits table to set "BonusReligiousBelief" to true. Followed (optionally) by a database trigger to do the same for any newly inserted trait (in the event the end user is playing with custom civilizations the trigger would ensure they get the extra belief too).

Are you talking about this mod? You can subscribe to it via the workshop (I know you said you didn't want to deal with this) and it will download and unzip automatically. I do not know off hand an alternative location where you could download it, since the author does not list an alternative download location. I can see about grabbing it later today but I would rather help you get comfortable with the workshop (following the cliche "give a fish vs teach fishing").

As for replicating the effect, it wouldn't be too hard. A SQL statement to update the traits table to set "BonusReligiousBelief" to true. Followed (optionally) by a database trigger to do the same for any newly inserted trait (in the event the end user is playing with custom civilizations the trigger would ensure they get the extra belief too).

Correct,i m talking exactly for this mod.I have done the steps for steam but didnt work and to be honest,dont want to mess with it.The easiest option is to download it from here.
But anyway,your help is nice.Also i dont know how to edit SQL,i know only to edit XML....

I don't know why I said you would need to use SQL. All you really need is the chunk below:
Code:
<Traits>
  <Update>
    <Set BonusReligiousBelief="true"/>
  </Update>
</Trait>
You can make a mod that just has that or throw it in to any XML file Race uses. If you put that in one of Race's files be aware that if you update Race to a new version you'll have to add it again as it will get overwritten.

You'll also need to ensure Race runs after any civilization adding mods. You can use a database trigger to avoid that (which wouldn't be hard, but isn't a big deal).

I don't know why I said you would need to use SQL. All you really need is the chunk below:
Code:
<Traits>
  <Update>
  </Update>
</Trait>
You can make a mod that just has that or throw it in to any XML file Race uses. If you put that in one of Race's files be aware that if you update Race to a new version you'll have to add it again as it will get overwritten.

You'll also need to ensure Race runs after any civilization adding mods. You can use a database trigger to avoid that (which wouldn't be hard, but isn't a big deal).

Wow,just this is needed?
In each civilization i must do this?(if yes it sounds easy).and something last...which xml file is it?

Put it in one of Race's XML files (it doesn't really matter which). It will change all civilizations, so you don't need to copy it multiple times.

If you want, just throw it in the "Race for Religion/Options/Pantheon Costs/Pantheon Costs.XML". After the change the file should looks like:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!-- Created by ModBuddy on 8/20/2012 8:59:04 PM -->
<GameData>
	<Defines>
		<Update>
			<Where Name="RELIGION_GAME_FAITH_DELTA_NEXT_PANTHEON" />
			<Set Value="0" />
		</Update>
	</Defines>

<Traits>
		<Update>
		</Update>
	</Trait>
</GameData>

I actually use that mod myself, although I edited it to include SushiSquid's Byzantine Peristyle and use that as the free building. Because it has to load after every civ (which is annoying), I put it in Dropbox for easy redownloading. Is it possible to combine this mod with Barathor's More Pantheons?

It will be trickier to make Race work with another mod that touches beliefs. You would need to do something like go through Barthor's mod and ensure it only adds beliefs and does not update any existing beliefs. You would also need to ensure it doesn't use any identical belief names as Race.

Well...pls forgive me be a pain in the....
but,lets say in the original xml files,traits,i suppose,where exactly should i include this code for bonus belief?

You don't want to edit the base game files. You want to edit one of Race for Religion's files. Try to find your "...Documents/my games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/MODS/Race for Religion (BNW) (v X)/Options/Pantheon Costs/Pantheon Costs.XML". Open it with notepad or a similar bare bones text editor. It should look like:
Code:
<GameData>
	<Defines>
		<Update>
			<Set Value="0" />
		</Update>
	</Defines>
</GameData>
Edit it so it looks like:
Code:
<GameData>
	<Defines>
		<Update>
			<Set Value="0" />
		</Update>
	</Defines>

<Traits>
		<Update>
		</Update>
	</Trait>
</GameData>

I'm having a serious problem with your otherwise fantastic mods.

I got into a situation where capturing an enemy capital city would reliably crash the game. I was using a number of mods, and so I set out to narrow down which one was causing the problem. I scaled back to the mods to the minimum that I couldn't do without, those being Race for Religion, Cities of Marble, and Reform and Rule. After experimenting on a duel map, I've discovered that I get a crash 100% of the time when I take a capital belonging to an empire that still has other cities. If the capital is the last city they have, the game seems to freeze very briefly, but manages to bring up the victory screen.

I don't know which of the three mods is causing the issue. I was hoping that I would isolate the problem in one of the other mods I was using because your three mods have really breathed fresh life into the game for me.

Top Bottom