Nobles' Club CLXIII: Stalin of Russia

byang08

Chieftain
The Nobles' Club series started out as a way for Noble-level (and below) players to improve their game. Most of the original participants now play at much higher levels, so this has become a way for advanced players to help others learn to play better. You can play your own game at any level and with any mod, but it would be nice to comment on the games of other players and give them advice.

Our next leader is Stalin of Russia, whom we last played in NC CXXXIX.

The Russians start with Hunting and Mining.
  • Traits: Stalin is Aggressive and Industrious. AGG means faster barracks and drydocks; melee and gunpowder units start with Combat I, which, in addition to making the units stronger, allows promotions like Cover and Shock right out of the barracks. IND means faster wonders, including national ones like Heroic Epic (for warmongers) and Oxford University (for long games such as space race).
  • The UB: The Research Institute, a Laboratory that gives 2 free scientists, which boost late-game :science: if you're going for a space race (or high-tech late game war).

• The UU: The Cossack, a Cavalry unit that gets +50% versus mounted units. The Cavalry are a powerful UU in their time period already, as Horse Archers are in theirs.
And the start:

Spoiler map details :
Fractal, randomized leaders .
Spoiler edits :
None! First time hosting NC, wanted to keep it safe. I did make sure the capital had either or both stone and marble near by.
Finally, a cut and paste of our standard doctrine:The WB-saves are attached (zipped; they are bigger than standard saves). To play, simply download and unzip it into your BTS/Saves/WorldBuilder folder. Start the game, and load your favorite MOD (if you use one, if not, check out the BUG MOD), select "Play Scenario", and look for "NC 163 Stalin Noble" (or Monarch, etc., for higher levels). You can play with your favorite MOD at the Level and Speed of your choice. From Quick-Warlord to Marathon-Deity, all are welcome! We stuck with the name "Nobles Club" because it has a cool ring to it.
Spoiler what's up with specific difficulties :
In each scenario file you can select your level of difficulty, but that doesn't give the AI the right bonus techs by itself. Use the Noble save for all levels at and below Noble. The Monarch save gives all the AI Archery. Emperor adds Hunting; Immortal adds Agriculture; Deity adds The Wheel.

For players on Monarch or above, you should add archery as a tech for the barbarians (if you don't, the AI will capture their cities very early). This cannot be done in the WB save file and must be done in Worldbuilder as follows:
Spoiler how to add techs to the barbarians :

1. Zoom in all the way so you can't see the rest of the map.
  2. Use the CTRL-W key (or the menu) to enter the worldbuilder. Avoid looking at the mini-map in the lower right corner.
  3. By default you're in "player" mode (look in the box in the upper right; the icon that looks like a person should be selected). You'll get a drop down menu labeled with your leader's name. Barbarians are at the bottom, so cover the rest of the list with your hand if you don't want to see who else is on the map. Select "Barbarians".
  4. Select the "Technologies" tab in the box on the left.
  5. Find Archery (the arrow head icon; 8th row, 3rd column from the right) and click it.
  6. Exit the worldbuilder.
  7. Zoom out again after the map fades, and start playing.
Spoiler huts and events :
Note: The standard saves have no huts and have events turned off. I did not include save files with huts/events on since who plays with those setting anymore anyway.

Thank you Dalamb for the template!

scout SW-S? If you want seawonders, you could settle on rice! (depending on what the scout reveals obviously. It looks despressingly deserty down there.)

IND + loads of forests = fun. Normally Hunting and Aggressive kind of hold Stalin back a bit, but Hunting is actually a decent starting tech here since it opens AH. A good 2nd city site, particularly one with commerce, could make this a really good start.

Spoiler :

Immortal game

Interesting map. Fairly good surrounding land, but a bit low on happy resources. Tried to use industrial to its fullest, making tousands of failgold and TGL. Got a total of 7 GP: 5 GS (bulbed philosopy, paper, edu, compass, liberaism), 1 GA (golden age), 1 GM (gold to upgrade horsearchers).

@ 600AD i have 17 currsiers and 4 horse-archers (still waiting for gold to upgrade) ready to attack next round. Only 1 AI have engenering, so should be a walk in the park to win this.

Attachments

• NC 163 Stalin AD-0600.CivBeyondSwordSave
    210.5 KB · Views: 93
Immortal till 580 AD. I was aiming for 30-35 Cuirs to be upgraded at 700-750 AD (my norm), however, I didn't get the necessary GMs so I stopped HAs way earlier and am trying to reach GP a little bit sooner so I can start whipping. Here's what things look like right now:

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    180.4 KB · Views: 251
  • Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 197
  • Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 207
  • Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 150
I played a bit, but made some mistakes and quit in the BCs. Maybe I'll retry later, going for a wonder-based approach.

I did the Ethiopia one and won culturally (on Warlord), but it was so uneventful and easy I didn't bother reporting.

Gonna try this one on Noble. :v

Just reinstalled civ 4 yesterday. Might give this a go later. Got so many incomplete games at present. Not good.

Noble
No huts no events

Spoiler :
Played on noble just for funsies. Horse archer rofl-stomping.

Check out the awesome city-site!

Here's the general idea on winning on noble. Tech up to currency.

Then build horse archers until the world is conquered.

I've pre-chopped many of the forests in my borders so that I can get the beginnings of my horde up quickly.

Joao fell quickly. Up next was the protective Giggles.

But I think I've got enough horse archers of my own.

At this point I consolidate a little bit. I've been keeping the very good cities, but razing most of them to keep maintenance costs down. I also used some saved money to research Calendar and help out with happiness. The situation stands as follows:

All end game techs are had. Workers are automated. Armies are moved.

Justinian is capitulated. Zara refuses to surrender.

Game over!

End game stats:

Monarch

Spoiler :

Joao with elephants and catapults, Gilgamesh with trebs and muskets, justinian with cannons and granadiers and finally Zara with artillery and Cossacks.
Lincoln was starting to develop space tech, but domination came on time.

I never did one of these. It was really fun :D thanks.

I hope u make the next one with random events and huts plz, if it isn't that much too ask.

Attachments

• Stalin-monarch.jpg
    Stalin-monarch.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 1,508
I hope u make the next one with random events and huts plz, if it isn't that much too ask.
I agree, standard NC protocol is to include files with these options (which after all are actually the standard out of the box!). I can assure you the next NC game will have them - as it it's my map!

Played out to 1500ad domination. Sorry for lack of report. Just wanted to finish off a game. 232943 score.

Spoiler :
Started peacefully and built GW/Mids. Moved capital to flood plains east of capital. Didn't get HA hooked up in time for rush.

Tech route wasn't great and early AD I had to steal 6-7 techs from Justin to get stuff like Monarchy, machinery, fuedalism, HBR, Mon and other techs.

I expanded to 8-9 cities and used Moscow as a production city. With 7 or 8 mines it does a good job.

Eventually reached cuirs around 900ad and I spammed them heavily whipped in all but 2 of my cities. (Capital and Moscow not whipped.)

Justin had 12 cities. (Pikes and UU knight.) Took him out completely as I needed the land. Moved onto JoaII who rolled over quickly as my cuirs upgraded to Cossacks. 2-3 cities and he vasselled. Sumerians by this stage had 14 cities but no rifles. After 6-7 cities fell he gave up the fight. China did declare on me mid JoaII war and eventually capped after losing 14-15 units in open field.

Finally declared on Zara and Americans piled in. Zara had rifles but Cossacks with somes losses took down 5 cities and I reached 64% land.

Quite a fun game. Great to get to use Cossacks too. Amazing UU. Thanks for posting.

Top Bottom